Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buchanan Galleries Expansion Plan, Has The SNP Saved Glasgow £56m?
bilbo.s
post 24th Feb 2015, 10:52pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
£390m Buchanan Galleries extension wins approval

A £390m proposal to extend Glasgow’s Buchanan Galleries shopping mall has been approved by Glasgow City Council, clearing the way for work to proceed on than ambitious rebuild of the existing centre this summer.

Architects BDP have drawn up plans to create a new entrance atrium at Killermont Street whilst decking over the entrance to Queen Street Station and demolishing an existing car park to make way for a new M&S store and cinema.

More controversially replacement parking provision will be provided in a 1,500 space MSCP overlooking George Square and the Buchanan Street steps will be demolished to make way for a new ‘entrance atrium’ and through route to the bus station.

GCC leader Gordon Matheson said: “This planning consent will unlock over £300million of private sector investment for Glasgow. Alongside our TIF scheme, the expansion of Buchanan Galleries will improve the city centre’s public realm and infrastructure, and generate 1500 jobs. We are justifiably proud in Glasgow city centre being the UK’s second biggest retail destination, but to ensure we remain in such a position new ways of attracting visitors and investors must be found. The expansion of the Galleries will help us to do so.”

http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/5314/%C2%A3...hxjfsX8.twitter

No comment.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ktv
post 25th Feb 2015, 09:02am
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
im kinda on the fence in this one, agree with some bits of both arguments but for god sake can everyone stop calling the steps "iconic"

they've not been there 20 years and there nothing iconic about them whatsoever.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 25th Feb 2015, 09:44pm
Post #63

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Good riddance to the steps as far as I`m concerned. We were walking along the pavement and my elderly brother politely stepped aside to let someone pass and went flying down the steps and got cut. The ambulance came,and they treated my brother like an old derelict,gave him no dignity,and we sat for hours in the casualty at the Royal before he was even seen,all the time we were trying to stop the bleeding. Very bad memories of those steps every time I go back to Glasgow.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 25th Feb 2015, 09:47pm
Post #64

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
The steps where we had the misfortune were round the corner ,but still part of the complex.

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Nov 2015, 11:33am
Post #65

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A very predictable update from a few months ago on this story ... the mad plan to drastically expand the Buchanan Galleries has been dropped and will never be implemented. Glasgow city councillors are obviously as clueless about economics and market forces as they are about the regeneration of the city.

[...] Buchanan Galleries extension will NEVER go ahead

Fears have been raised that a stalled £400 million supermall project will never go ahead.

The Evening Times reported earlier this month how developers halted their scheme to double the size of Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow - after controversially securing tens of millions of pounds in backing from the city council.

Now opposition politicians have said they believe the scheme may be stopped for good.

Sandra White, SNP MSP for Glasgow Kelvin, said: “It raises a lot of concerns.

“The fear it raises is that the project won’t go ahead at all.

“It raises serious alarm bells, nobody has been told apart from a press release the developers Land Securities sent out, nobody has been told what the reason is.

“The project stalling makes you think is it actually going to go ahead?

“I haven’t been contacted by Buchannan Galleries or anyone else, normally they would keep in touch if there would be a delay.

“Having looked at their comments I’m concerned there is something we don’t know about." ...

Full story here:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1343976..._NEVER_go_ahead

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.