Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> University Principal Gets 15% Pay Rise, At a time of austerity at the instituion
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 14
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 29th Jan 2007, 11:31am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The principal of Glasgow University has been given a 15% pay rise after a year of managing huge cuts in spending at the institution and making hundreds of staff redundant. Sir Muir Russell, the former permanent secretary of the Scottish Executive, who also managed some disastrous developments during the early days of the SE, has been rewarded with a remuneration package which is five times the rate of inflation. The reward also comes at a time when the university has indicated that it may pull out of Crichton Campus in Dumfries due to funding problems, a move which has angered many in the Borders.

The huge increase in pay for the leader of one of Scotland's most prestigious and respected educational institutions has left many staff incredulous, as they have recently been asked to contribute to making £10 million worth of savings, while 230 of them have been encouraged to accept voluntary redundancy. Labour MSPs and representatives of the Association of University Teachers (AUT) have also expressed disbelief and have called for an enquiry into the decision.

The university's own accounts released recently show that Sir Russell's pay package increased from £184,000 in 2004/05 to £211,000 in the last financial year, a huge 15% rise.

Sir Russell is no stranger to controversy: the 58-year-old former civil servant, who led the Scottish Executive during the disastrous period of the Holyrood project, will get £215,000 civil service award when he turns 60. He will also be further funded by taxpayers to the tune of £65,000 per year, as an annual pension from the age of 65.

A spokesperson for Glasgow University defended the pay rise:

"The salary of the university's principal is performance- related and reflects the responsibilities of running a large and complex organisation. The increase reflects the considerable success which the university has enjoyed in the past year. We are out of deficit for the first time in 12 years, having a £2m surplus to invest in our areas of excellence, and climbed 20 places in the world league tables to 81, one of only two Scottish universities in the top 100."

Rate this story now...

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratson
post 29th Jan 2007, 11:44am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Quangos and fat cats????
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Java
post 29th Jan 2007, 11:48am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Yet another example of fat cats getting fatter in my opinion....to say this is performance related is ridiculous. Surely the lecturers should be given most credit for improved performance. Isn't this rise for the same financial year that lecturers took strike action, supported by many of their students I believe, because despite the increase in funding from top up fees, very little filtered down to those who most deserve it.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Heather
post 29th Jan 2007, 07:58pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Yes Java, fat cats right enough. This type of increase happens too often just because the people who get them are in top jobs.
It's time the Government took a stand against it. mad.gif

The rich continue to get richer, while the poor remain poor.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
toerag
post 2nd Feb 2007, 02:13am
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 167
Do as I say.....not as I do!!

+Quote Post
ejlch
post 15th Feb 2007, 01:10pm
Post #6

Special Visitor
Member No.: 46
A little bit of knowledge of the local situation might be more appropriate than barbs at a supposed fat cat. The Principal has done an excellent job in his first couple of years at University of Glasgow. Much solid work is being done to re-establish its previously fading academic reputation and he has provided leadership on the many difficult decisions to be taken to ensure that the university does not fall from financial crisis into financial disaster.
He could have taken the easy way out and at a late stage in his career just sat it out while all around declined into a shambles at which stage he would bail out into early retirement (as at least one other principal at a Scottish College has just done).
As for lecturers being given the credit; well they were the ones on post whilst the long period of decline set in - so they presumably have a share of the blame for that. Moreover, it is telling that that so many redundancies could take place without a loss of standards (and from my close observation as an interested pasrty that is the case).

+Quote Post
Java
post 15th Feb 2007, 02:22pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
QUOTE (ejlch @ 15th Feb 2007, 01:27 PM)
...he has provided leadership on the many difficult decisions to be taken to ensure that the university does not fall from financial crisis into financial disaster...

Not to the point of turning down his whopping 15% increase apparently...

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 6th Mar 2007, 02:01am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
mad.gif This one man is getting too much money as it is,Where is his Conciance?Iam afraid It is coming to him as Blood money at the cost of too many lecturers etc.Shame on Him for sweeping up the governments dirt & wearing the blame of the governments decisions to get rid of so many Lectures etc.Glasgows reputation exceeds herself in every aspect & I do not doubt her University shall be noted for these mallicious cut backs.They Need the Lecturers as theres never enough of them in the first place ! :(very sad story this is.What exactly is the new sources of excellence ?which they will be able to focus upon now that they`ve slaughtered many of the assetts known as lecturers?

why does one man amount to this sort of rise for a year of slaughtering much of the credable excellence it has had regardless of profit or loss? I find this story to be of a bloodthirsty nature & I see Sir Russell Muir as no more than a greedy task force of a one man band getting too much for too little ,I do not believe he has any interest in focusing on the Peoples best interests at all he is a high paid mouth piece for the Government & like a so called special force he is being utelised to go in & get out as quickly as possable neither saving nor sparing anyone or thing other than the bullion! the cash! as usual it is all about Money & it speaks volumes of zero to the little guys plenty for the bigwiggs & a glowing report of gloom & doom for the Student (unless of course they also have cash!)Greed is what this story is about Greed!

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.