Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Council Evict Occupy Glasgow?, Legal stand-off in George Square
GG
post 27th Nov 2011, 10:42pm
Post #136

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Edinburgh City Council have backed their 'Occupy Edinburgh' protesters:
"Edinburgh city council has set a worldwide precedent by voting in favour of the motion to support the aims and sentiments of Occupy Edinburgh and the Occupy Movement as a whole.

With this historic decision, Edinburgh City Council is setting an example in local administration, as well as sending a message to the governments in both Holyrood and Westminster."

In response, Occupy Edinburgh issued a press statement:
"We are pleased to announce that Edinburgh City Council has set a worldwide precedent by voting in favour of the motion to support the aims and sentiments of Occupy Edinburgh and the aims of the Occupy Movements as a whole. This motion was presented by the Scottish Green Party, was seconded by the Scottish Labour Party and was slightly amended by the SNP and LibDems. The only party not to back the motion was the Conservatives.

We regard this as a fantastic step forward in the opening of dialogue with the Scottish government. With this historic decision, Edinburgh City Council are setting an example in local administration, as well as sending a message to the governments in both Holyrood and Westminster. They have shown willingness for open dialogue and respect alongside a fundamental commitment to the concerns of the people they are elected to represent. The current systems for economy and resource distribution are grossly outdated, and as the people educate themselves we begin to demand changes. Symptoms such as the “austerity/bailout” response of our government only serves to solidify the attitude of cynicism toward our current economic system, which has already moved far into general acceptance. Local Councils are the first step in the re-population of democracy, and should be following the example of Scotland’s capital by aligning themselves to a grassroots paradigm that places people and community before profit and unsustainable growth."

Not everyone was pleased, however, and the Spectator asked what is surely the dumbest question ever asked regarding local government in Scotland:

Edinburgh: The Dumbest Council in Britain?
http://www.spectator.co.uk/alexmassie/7424...n-britain.thtml

... Camp and protest to your heart's content and that's all fine and dandy, but the idea that this is a movement of the people whose views must be heard is laughable and it is typical of Edinburgh council, as mediocre a group as has ever mismanaged the city, to concern itself with such matters and elevate this inchoate protest movement to something it ain't and never will be. And since these people require no encouragement anyway there's no need to offer them any.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 27th Nov 2011, 11:27pm
Post #137

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
... They have shown willingness for open dialogue and respect alongside a fundamental commitment to the concerns of the people they are elected to represent.

At last. smile.gif

The only party not to back the motion was the Conservatives.

As if. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 28th Nov 2011, 02:08pm
Post #138

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Any words on whether the protestors have been turfed out of Blythswood or not?? Last time I heard I think they had the gates locked on them and were awaiting the bailiffs to come knocking at any moment!!

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Dec 2011, 12:23am
Post #139

Administrator
Group Icon
Sorry, Scotsman, I have not had time to go to Blythswood Square to check on the Occupy Glasgow protesters, but will try soon as I can and let you know.

Related to this subject, there was a comment article in the Scotsman yesterday by a professor of applied philosophy. I honestly don't know if this academic is 'at the wind up' or if he genuinely is unaware of the widespread and pernicious effect of inequality in society.

... Some particular instances of inequality are wrong such as those that arise, say, from theft or fraud, but there is no convincing reason for condemning inequality as such. The protest campers do not indicate with sufficient clarity what particular sorts of inequality they disapprove of and why they disapprove of it. ...

Occupy camp is on shaky ground
http://www.scotsman.com/news/cartoon/hugh_...round_1_1991543

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 12th Dec 2011, 08:51am
Post #140

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 28th Nov 2011, 01:27pm) *
Any words on whether the protestors have been turfed out of Blythswood or not?? Last time I heard I think they had the gates locked on them and were awaiting the bailiffs to come knocking at any moment!!

Occupy Glasgow protesters have gone from Blythswood Square, and as of this week they have also vacated their camp at Kelvingrove. I think Thursday's hurricane, which caused considerable damage to the Kelvingrove campsite, has convinced them to pack-up for the winter.

A spokeswoman for the Occupy movement said:
"During our general assembly on Saturday we decided to close our Kelvingrove Park site down for the winter. But it is not the end of Occupy Glasgow. We've talked about finding a more suitable site indoors, but nothing has been found yet."

One protester, a local housewife, added:
"This is the first time I've done anything like this in my life, but I just felt so strongly about the way people are being treated in this country that I had to come out and try and do something about it.

We need to keep fighting."

A less-than magnanimous council spokesman greeted the news with:
"We have all said it is wrong for a tiny unrepresented group to make life difficult for Glaswegians and we have been urging them to see sense. So it is helpful if they are finally doing that."

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Dec 2011, 07:59pm
Post #141

Administrator
Group Icon
While the Evening Times seeemed happy just to see the Occupy Glasgow protesters go, the Sunday Post this week appeared to claim with some pride that it was their article which forced the anti-greed protesters in Kelvingrove Park to abandon their site. An article in the Dundee-based publication boasted:

Protesters abandon camp after our report

Protesters who had turned one of Scotland's most famous parks into a "bombsite" abandoned their camp the day the story was highlighted in The Sunday Post.

Last Sunday, we reported that angry locals living near Kelvingrove Park in Glasgow had concerns about the [alleged] mess being created by Occupy Glasgow protesters.

And how Friends of kelvingrove – the charity which claims to try to maintain and enhance the park – bizzarely gave the unkempt camp the thunbs up.

On the day we published, the protesters packed up mand abandoned their tents after less than eight weeks [after being forced to re-locate from George Square]. ...

The article then went on to report quotes from park dog walkers who were unhappy about the protest camp interfering with their dog-walking activities.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Dec 2011, 08:07pm
Post #142

Administrator
Group Icon
Again, it is the protesters who show tolerence, understanding and respect... the following is an open letter to 'Kelvingrove area residents', taken from the Occupy Glasgow website:

Dear Kelvingrove area residents,

Glasgow Occupy would like to thank you for your support and patience during our stay.

We appreciate all the kind words from so many of you, and generous donations which were made to us here at our camp. It is with sadness and regret that we voted on Saturday 10th December 2011, to end our occupation in Kelvingrove Park. As we are sure will be understood, unusual weather conditions have ultimately been to blame for this, and the mud quite unrelenting.

There have been press articles, notably on Sunday, which would have you believe Occupy Glasgow abandoned the site and all the belongings therein. We assure you that any suggestion that we are just leaving a mess for the Council to deal with is quite incorrect – we are clearing up the site ourselves, albeit not as quickly as a council team probably could. This is because, as responsible people, we want to go through our things, and recycle and re-use the materials where possible, rather than have them go unnecessarily to landfill. We have spoken with Glasgow City Council Cleansing Department, who have agreed to work with us to remove waste as and when we put it out for collection.

We have learned a great deal regarding our own resource and disposal management, and future Occupy camps in Glasgow will make use of that knowledge in order to minimise potential environmental damage. If given permission by Glasgow City Council, at a suitable date we plan to repair the park area used during our occupation.

Occupy Glasgow as part of a worldwide movement will continue in its work. Meanwhile, again, we thank you for your support and patience.

We wish everyone a happy Festive season and look forward to a productive New Year for all!

Kind regards,

Occupy Glasgow Kelvingrove.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 19th Dec 2011, 08:09pm
Post #143

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab. I wondered who the Sunday Post reader was and now you've revealed yourself GG tongue.gif

I gave up reading this "paper" in the "reds under the bed" days but it did teach me a valuable lesson about not believing everything (or in some cases anything) you read in the papers mellow.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Dec 2011, 08:12pm
Post #144

Administrator
Group Icon
smile.gif Ashfield, would you believe that it was left in the newspaper rack of a pub which I happened to visit yesterday, and I was therefore able to take the story from that discarded copy?

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 19th Dec 2011, 08:30pm
Post #145

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Of course I would believe you rolleyes.gif

And the pub makes sense too, I would need a strong drink before opening the pages of TSP as well laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Dec 2011, 09:19pm
Post #146

Administrator
Group Icon
Mee too! smile.gif

Here's another story related to the Occupy Glasgow protesters (in the general sense) from the 'pub newspaper rack', this time yesterday's Sunday Express:

Today children, the class will be learning how to protest

Waving placards demanding change and marching for issues they believe in, they resemble any of the protesters who have attended this year's mass demonstrations.

But standing just three or four feet tall, and some only three years old, these young campaigners are hardly the anarchists who brought chaos to London. Instead, the mini-protesters are part of a controversial art class designed to give children a taste of what it is like to take part in a real-life demo.

For the past two months, including last Saturday morning, the Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) has held regular workshops that allow the youngsters to "create their own protest artwork". ...

So, you've got a situation where the council is condeming protesters as "wrong" at every opportunity, then Glasgow Life, the council's leisure "quango" (Sunday Express term), goes out of its way to teach future protesters how to protest ... all at public expense!

Commenting on the 'protest classes' at the GOMA in Royal Exchange Square, one father, who asked not to be named, told the Sunday Express:

"My daughter had a great time making placards and writing slogans on them, before marching up and down the museum, but I did wonder whether it was right to be encouraging children to protest.

In the current climate, with all the cutbacks, some people seem to make a habit of going on a rally about this, that or the other "In the current climate, with all the cutbacks, some people seem to make a habit of going on a rally about this, that or the other almost every weekend.

But that doesn't mean a taxpayer-funded museum should be telling our children that protests are great fun. After all, "But that doesn't mean a taxpayer-funded museum should be telling our children that protests are great fun. After all, protesters are not always in the right, and protest marches have often been known to turn violent."

Only in Glasgow! You've got to hand it to Glasgow Life for apparently not listening to the council, and giving local children the opportunity to express themselves in protest!

Among the placards created by the kids – who then marched round the gallery with them –"More Lego, more play!" and "Less work, more pancakes!"

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 19th Dec 2011, 11:08pm
Post #147

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
"More Lego, more play!" and "Less work, more pancakes!"

Brilliant. Get rid of all the councilors and give the kids all the power.

Love Lego but love pancakes even more.

Go kids,

Mary laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Dec 2011, 11:14pm
Post #148

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
The article then went on to report quotes from park dog walkers who were unhappy about the protest camp interfering with their dog-walking activities.

Being a dog walker myself wink.gif I can fully sympathise with these poor people whose daily routine has been so drastically disrupted by the inconsiderate actions of a dedicated few representing the 99% of the population who are systematically ripped off by Wall Street and it's siblings.
There is absolutely nothing in this world which is more inconvenient than being unable to walk your dog in the park. rolleyes.gif
That's why I take Bonnie up onto the mountain tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
dondon
post 6th Jan 2012, 08:52pm
Post #149

Super Visitor
Member No.: 12,277
I am also a dog walker but these protestors could in no way be representing the 99% of anything. I for one just wish they would go get a job and pay tax and then they would actually be helping others instead of living off the finance of others.

How long have all these people been in situ across the globe and yet to date they have failed miserably to come up with any viable idea of how to remedy the situation. All they ever repeat is it's all the bankers fault. Well give us a remedy instead of the same old story.

Give the parks back to the canine dogs

+Quote Post
angel
post 7th Jan 2012, 05:25am
Post #150

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

I thought these little snippets , might possibly be of interest .....

Although Occupy Toronto's encampment has been gone for a month, occupiers were continuing to meet every day and have held a number of marches to try to build awareness of their social-justice cause, Ms. Wolscht said.

After the eviction operation ended, St. James Park was left a muddy, sodden mess, but it was restored at no cost to the city after Landscape Ontario and the Nursery Sod Growers of Ontario donated 12 tractortrailer loads of sod and free installation.

About 30 truckloads of waste were removed from the park during the eviction operation, city staff confirmed.

The five-week Occupy Toronto encampment cost taxpayers $714,000, mostly for policing, the city revealed Friday.

The rest of the costs pertained to various city divisions: parks, forestry and recreation ($8,181.81); solid waste management ($5,075.41); Toronto Fire ($1,171.82); Toronto EMS ($36,909.97); and shelter, support and housing administration ($1,208.58).

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.