Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subject: Changes to Canada, FYI Believe It Or Not?
Betsy2009
post 10th Nov 2015, 12:29pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
It's very like that some families would have pooled everything together to pay for one of them, perhaps the oldest/youngest/only one surviving son getting out of the war zone so I have no problem with young lads as refugees.
I do agree, however, that the numbers show a different story and do understand why people are afraid.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 10th Nov 2015, 12:30pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Hang on! Are we running two (or three) immigration threads here? I'm getting confused. wacko.gif

+Quote Post
carmella
post 10th Nov 2015, 01:53pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Betsy I think some of the posts should be in another thread - I agree with you on that.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 10th Nov 2015, 02:13pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 10th Nov 2015, 02:33pm) *
That would be like the old Empire/Commonwealth then!

The muslim threat to the world is NOTHING like the old British Empire. The British had the good sense to rule by default. Placing locals in positions where it appeared they were ruling only for their strings to be pulled from Whitehall.
In the main local cultures, religions and practices were allowed to continue.

The muslim empire will be a despotic evil rule that will drive any and all kaffirs/non believers into the grave. They will tolerate nothing but absolute obedience to the will of allah.

I also agree there should be a separate topic for this subject.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 10th Nov 2015, 02:28pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Spaniards in South America
Everyone in North America
Templars in the Middle East.

Some would say what goes around comes around.

Yes, I know it was a while back and we've progressed since then (unless, of course, gold/diamonds/etc.) but you can almost understand why Muslim countries would be a bit angry with the West when we still try to put our systems on them. For example, turning a dictatorship into a democracy - all done for the 'good of the people' (in our opinion) but actually causes more trouble than was there in the first place.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 10th Nov 2015, 06:28pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Aye, have to agree here with Dave, it was the British who discovered some of these continents, all totally different from the Exodus we seem to be having.

The old colonial days have nothing in common with this latest stuff at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
petunia
post 11th Nov 2015, 06:20pm
Post #22

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,822
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 10th Nov 2015, 01:33pm) *

First of all Betsy I don't think what is happening today is anything like the old Empire/Commonwealth
then.

Heard on our news last night that our Government will be giving a family of 4 $6,000 as soon as they arrive in Canada and $1,100 a month after that didn't mention how long for also housing etc. etc.

We have in Canada over 25,000 HOMELESS who will probably remain homeless while they house these refugees/migrants first in nice warm catered army barracks then into housing wherever they can find it they are even asking for volunteers for housing, maybe Angel has a spare room or two she can spare.

The new Government made this commitment and they cannot afford to ignore it as it would look really bad for them but they still can't give us "Joe Publics" any info on where these people are going but they did say it is going to cost in excess of 600 million dollars between getting them here by air, sea or whatever.

25,000 people is the size of some small towns in Canada and bigger than some.

+Quote Post
angel
post 12th Nov 2015, 08:23am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/why-can...-more-refugees/

this article is from the 15 Sept. 2015 . and shows the numbers on just how much Canada has done for the refugees , some might find it interesting .

25,000 refugees coming to Canada is a drop in the bucket compared to what Germany has done , unfortunately it has turned sour on them , but I suppose they thought that other European countries would help , but they just build walls and fences .

Unfortunately for those souls trekking across Europe , I'm sure , they are unable to walk on water or fly on their own not as far as I can tell , so this would mean that they need the transport to get here , and I do hope that our new government manages to get it right . Although ,I did not vote for them , I do hope that they will manage to keep some of there promises .

Also Petunia as I mentioned before , when it comes to this business of my helping the refugees , that is my concern and most certainly not yours , so stick to the topic that you started and forget about making this thread your own personal soap box.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 12th Nov 2015, 11:06am
Post #24

QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 10th Nov 2015, 12:33pm) *

The "old Empire and Commonwealth (I still abide in the Commonwealth of Australia) left every country it touched with a democratic Westminster constitution i.e. Rule of the majority through the laws passed by an elected government. Parliamentary Democracy. How many countries of the "United Nations" can boast of democracy? Very few.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 12th Nov 2015, 12:08pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
It's still foreigners coming in and taking over!

+Quote Post
marydee
post 12th Nov 2015, 01:21pm
Post #26

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
It may have left a Paliamentry democracy but it left it in countries where tribal, kinship and religious affiliations were more important to the leadership of the indigenous population. It carved up countries putting borders and placing people where it best suited the needs of the West and look at the mess that has caused.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Nov 2015, 06:21pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (angel @ 12th Nov 2015, 08:31am) *
25,000 refugees coming to Canada is a drop in the bucket compared to what Germany has done , unfortunately it has turned sour on them , but I suppose they thought that other European countries would help , but they just build walls and fences .

Unfortunately for those souls trekking across Europe , I'm sure , they are unable to walk on water or fly on their own not as far as I can tell , so this would mean that they need the transport to get here

Merkel did not open Germany's borders and drop the Dublin agreement because of the refugees plight, she did it because Germany's population is falling and it needs future workers to keep its position as a financial powerhouse. Germany created this problem and caused not only huge headaches for other countries in the way but heavy financial burdens on local populations as migrants trample over their country. Who in their right mind would book a holiday to the Greek islands for instance.
From what the migrants and news outlets say the fare for a dinghy and life vest costs more than a one way trip to Canada, problem there is that the airports have something called security, maybe you should lobby your elected representatives to drop all airport security for incoming flights from the region so that you too could bathe in the cultural wave flooding over Europe, after all airports are just international border crossings are they not.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
carmella
post 12th Nov 2015, 07:52pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
I am also of the same opinion, however, I don't think she realized at the outset the numbers that would be trying to enter. I feel she was caught short in her estimations,.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 12th Nov 2015, 08:39pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
I do not profess to know much about German politics but I see nothing wrong with a country trying to keep it's economy at full strength . I also understand that Merkel is in trouble with her government over her open door policy regarding refugees . and she has now slowed the influx of refugees into her country with the exception of Greece .

Canada is still taking in 25,000 and as I have said it is only a drop in the bucket , when looking at the bigger picture , However I do hope that the Canadian government learns from the mistakes that Germany has made and will be able to do a better job .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 14th Nov 2015, 12:59am
Post #30

QUOTE (marydee @ 12th Nov 2015, 01:29pm) *
It may have left a Paliamentry democracy but it left it in countries where tribal, kinship and religious affiliations were more important to the leadership of the indigenous population. It carved up countries putting borders and placing people where it best suited the needs of the West and look at the mess that has caused.

Not taking into account the Rawanda divide between Hutsies and Tutsies that left a million dead and tens of thousands with limbs removed in barbaric tribal rituals. Angola; same thing and in the Belgian Congo.

When the British withdrew from India, there was an immediate surge of inter religious violence that divided the country leaving over a million dead and leading to the Bangladeshi war 20 odd years later.

As for Afghanistan there has been nothing but tribal massacres since the dawn of Islam. You apparently live in a parliamentary democracy, not invented out of the blue, but systematically developed and handed down through civil war the eventually resulted in the tribes of Britain reconciling their differences.

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.