Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1383 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
serabash
post 13th Jan 2013, 03:23pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
well that's a positive thumbup.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th Jan 2013, 03:48pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Scottish Secretary Michael Moore insists the UK government would not enter into negotiations over the terms of Scottish independence before the 2014 referendum.

Writing in the Scotland on Sunday newspaper, he revealed that the government at Westminster plans to publish a series of papers over the coming months that will look at Scotland's current position, and the choices it would face if the country voted to leave the UK.

Then theres the NOT SO POSITIVE.
In fact, there's the downright refusal of the UK government to enter into any sort of meaningful discussion, preceding next years vote.
Shameful, arrogant, and downright belittling.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Melody
post 13th Jan 2013, 03:54pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Well Davy what would you expect? Ye know they canny come out of character sure.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th Jan 2013, 04:18pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
So childish, Melody.
Its like 'this OOR baw and ye's are no playin' wi it'

Oh well,... if the Westminster politicians are not going to play, this might just (yet again) be another disastrous opening gambit by the NO team. Do they not realise Scotland MIGHT just vote for Independence next year?

Its almost an Empire attitude.

--------------------

+Quote Post
serabash
post 13th Jan 2013, 06:31pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
I think they are probably doing more for the yes cause with this attitude.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th Jan 2013, 06:41pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Its already beginning to smell like 'all we promised you was a vote - we didn't say' we will abide by the Scottish People's wishes''.

How can such an important decision of this magnitude, not be discussed?
(Before the event) (Unless you know the outcome)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 13th Jan 2013, 06:49pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
We know the outcome.!!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th Jan 2013, 07:07pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Aye - like Maggie Thatcher did, when she introduced a poll tax that some poor sod lost his head fer, 600 years before (she forgot to check history)

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Jan 2013, 07:09pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Dylan @ 13th Jan 2013, 08:06pm) *
We know the outcome.!!

Is that "We" as in "We are the peepul" ?

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 13th Jan 2013, 07:17pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I just hope and pray that the people ALL turn out and vote.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 14th Jan 2013, 08:37am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Interesting views from an Australian expat in the Herald:-

There is no doubt there are complex issues involved in deciding what to vote in the referendum. I find it amazing however, that the Scots, alone, do not have the confidence to vote to rule themselves. I know of no other people in the world that have knocked back the chance of self-rule, where your own parliament makes your decisions.
It is not as if the people in these islands are going to throw up Berlin-type walls between themselves. There will be free population movement accross British and Irish borders as there is now. Westminster makes laws with an eye to the majority of the population as that is where the votes are and they want re-elected. The majority of the population happens to be in England (over 80%), and in particular, the south-east of England. Hence the huge public spending in this area.
If Scotland doesn't vote for independence, they will have Tory governments, so voting for your own parliament with full powers makes sense.
No country that has become independent has asked for a return to their previous situation. They got on with it and prospered. Look at the USA, Singapore, Malaysia, Estonia and closer to home, Norway. In 1905, over 99% of Norwegians voted to break the union with Sweden, and now their standard of living is away beyond Scotland, and they have fewer resources.
I don't know why Scots have such a lack of confidence in themselves to goit alone, because as a people, they are high achievers. Perhaps they get worn down with indecision because of the innuendo and untruths thrown at them. Loss of 19,000 jobs in Faslane being the daddy of them all. Then, there is the surpression of the truth. eg Told thirty years ago the oil wouldn't last long. It goes on and on.
My goodness Dr Goebbels could have honed his skills if he were alive today.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 14th Jan 2013, 09:58am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

But the oil is running out..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...siness-21003704

'Oil and gas 'jobs boom' forecast for North Sea'

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 14th Jan 2013, 09:59am
Post #43

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
I have yet to hear anyone make a positive case for maintaining the Union. All I seem to see are scare stories and "what if" arguments. In my opinion, the Labour Party in Scotland would be freed from the constraints of Westminster should we vote for Independence and become more attuned to the needs of the populace. My worry is that it may be staffed by the kind of people who currently run Glasgow City Council. To me, the No campaign has to show me good reasons to stay within the Union and they haven't done so at all so far. We ought to stay in this Union to help the South of England and the City of London with our taxes, oil and gas revenue, whisky, fishing, tourism etc.
Surely with all we have going for us, we could do so Independently? As for cross border trading, I see no problem with this continuing with our English neighbours. We already trade worldwide so it's not going to change anytime soon.
Nuclear weapons on the Clyde are just not acceptable to Glaswegians or Scots from elsewhere in the country. This country has contributed billions over the years to the USA for this fallacy of fools, yet the USA are the ones who not only construct and ship them, but control their use. I for one do not accept that we need WMD's on our doorstep, especially as they will never be used.
The Tories have just implemented horrible beneifit changes to the poorest and most vulnerable in society. Should we in Scotland stand for the same? We need better. We need Independence.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 14th Jan 2013, 10:21am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Isobel @ 13th Jan 2013, 07:34pm) *
I just hope and pray that the people ALL turn out and vote.

I just hope ALL Glaswegians who normally make the effort, do not sleep walk, as they so often do, to the polling stations. If they really consider the issues, carefully, the FULL implications of their decision, then I believe they will make the right call.
Generation after generation has voted loyally, for' the working man', traditionally. For what?
Has that loyallty EVER been rewarded?
By voting for Independence, I believe they may eventually achieve what they've always wanted and hoped for.
Jobs, investment, and above all, a CHANCE to achieve those things.

Whit dae Glaswegians think of the 'ye kin hiv yer vote - but were no talking tae ye aboot it, until were ready!' If I know Glaswegians, the one thing they do NOT like, is being IGNORED. The/Cam Glegg consortium, are relying upon Glasgow to 'pull through' for them.
In fact, the RED half of Westminster are assuming upon having nothing to do (AGAIN) after THE VOTE (for OR against).
At least the GOVERNMENT of the UK, on the day, will have NO CHOICE but to respond.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Melody
post 14th Jan 2013, 02:04pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
We should tell them that no way do we want Independence and then they'll force it on us. laugh.gif

Only by being Independent will we in Scotland get the government we vote for.

+Quote Post

1383 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.