Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sgoil Ghàidhlig Ghlaschu, Glasgow Goes Gaelic!
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 1st Feb 2007, 08:46pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow's first Gaelic superschool celebrated its official opening today.

The festivities were led by Education Minister Hugh Henry on the £4million campus, which accommodates children from below the age of three right through to secondary school age. The ultra-modern school, where all lessons will be conducted entirely in Gaelic, is located on the site of the former Woodside Secondary School.

The school, which replaces the former Gaelic Primary and Nursery school in Ashley Street and the Gaelic unit in Hillpark Secondary, has already proved popular with not only Glasgow pupils, but also with pupils from local authority areas surrounding Glasgow.

Councillor Margaret McCafferty said:
"With this new campus, Glasgow is helping to protect the Gaelic language and culture for future generations of Glaswegians and Scots."
Head teacher Donalda McComb said:
"I didn't ever think that I would be in the position that I'm in today as the head teacher of the first three to 18 school. I'm very proud to be that individual. I've worked long and hard in all my teaching career to be involved in Gaelic medium education and it's just amazing that we're at this stage."

Pupil David Mackenzie added:
"It looks like quite a modern building, I think I will enjoy being taught there...It's good to have a second language and it's good to keep the language up for Scotland."

The campus will cater for a mximum of 320 pupils at its peak.

Attached file shows the old Woodside Seconday School with inset of the new Glasgow Gaelic School

Rate this story now...

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Feb 2007, 12:18am
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Who-ah...Stop The Press, I have recently received information from a board member (thanks chookie bun) that the photo of the old Woodside School is not the building in question. To be honest, I had trouble finding a Woodside Secondary in Berkeley Street, but I will re-research and update later today!

Meanwhile a photo of the possible old school (Kent Street Primary School) is now attached!

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 2nd Feb 2007, 03:57am
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 318
That's it Martin! Thank you. The history of the site of the new Gaelic school is somewhat confusing! Once upon a time two schools served the neighbourhood into which I was lucky to be born! Kent Road Primary School at the foot of Kent Road where it meets Argyle Street. If you passed your "quali" you went on to Woodside Senior Secondary School in Park Road. In 1970, Woodside was closed and became for several years a teachers' college. Kent Road Primary was closed in the late sixties and demolished. A new building was erected on the Kent Road site with its formal entrance on Berkeley Street which facility became the new home of the Woodside School until 1999 when it too was closed. For the next couple of years the building was used to decant student populations from area schools which were being renovated....Hillhead for one.
Rumours were that the building would once again be levelled and we old Kent Roadies wondered and speculated what would go up on the site. I fantacized about mebbe being able to live in a lovely flat there, a block from my long since demolished old home! rolleyes.gif Then came word that the new Gaelic school would replace the "new" Woodside, a fitting role for an old school that had long served the Gaelic community. In my time, in 2nd form we had to choose a second language option in addition to the compulsory French....and that could either be German....or Gaelic. I used to wonder why so many of my classmates spoke The Gaelic at home, indeed had Mums and Dads who barely spoke English. I later came to understand that back in the forties and fifties, Woodside was one of the few schools (if not the only one) in the Glasgow area where an education was to be had, that would prepare you to further your education at the university level in Gaelic. It actually served a quite substantial Gaelic community.

This wee corner of Glasgow doesn't get a lot of exposure on the GG board and it's lovely to have the opportunity of sharing some of its (and my very own) history on this thread. Thanks Martin.

I'm going to try to attach a couple of photos, the first of which is another view of Kent Road Primary, built in 1885-86 by William Landless, a Glasgow architect born in 1847. About the only remaining example of his Glasgow work is the Gothic clock tower which itself is all that remains of his Blind Asylum in Castle Street.

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 2nd Feb 2007, 03:59am
Post #4

City Key Holder
First....
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 2nd Feb 2007, 04:10am
Post #5

City Key Holder
This is the original Woodside school:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 2nd Feb 2007, 04:11am
Post #6

City Key Holder
Here's a shot of the "new" Woodside, now demolished to make way for the Gaelic School. (urr yese confused yet?)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 2nd Feb 2007, 04:15am
Post #7

City Key Holder
And here's a shot of the old Woodside in its new life as a Hogshead Pub....some might say a fitting end fur any Glesga school, eh?
Ah'll hiv tae hop a plane one day soon to get a shot of the Gaelic school building...but Martin's nice shot will do me fine in the meantime!

Here endeth the lesson!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Feb 2007, 10:13am
Post #8

Administrator
Group Icon
Hi chookie bun,

Many thanks for that 'lesson', it was very informative and indeed reminded me that I had in actual fact been in there once to collect a university application form (used to wish I hadn't bothered). In fact, I think I probably was in it more than once as I played school football for six years, so no doubt they were one of the teams to beat us! So its silly me for not realising where Woodside Secondary School was!

Glad we've got the story straight now and would be interested to hear what other members think about the new Gaelic school...

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 3rd Feb 2007, 12:58pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
The festivities were led by Education Minister Hugh Henry on the £4million campus, which accommodates children from below the age of three right through to secondary school age. The ultra-modern school, where all lessons will be conducted entirely in Gaelic, is located on the site of the former Woodside Secondary School.  

Not sure all subjects should be taught in Gaelic. Prime example here. My girlfriend sent both her children to a local school here where all subjects were conducted in French. Both her son and daughter did very well ,however when it came to the English language they had a problem writing it. Their grammer was not so good. At university level this became a problem and both had to take English as a second language. On the other hand one of my daughters opted for what we call French immersion .Half day French ,half day English. She had no problems at university and is completely bi lingual.

So this would be my first choice.

Good to keep the Gaelic alive but English should be the first language. Cookie bun loved the pictures.Much preferred the old school to the new modern one that they put up.I guess this was during the period in Glasgow when all the beautiful old building were being replaced .I am so glad there are so many beautiful building left, its one of the many things I love about Glasgow.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 3rd Feb 2007, 05:43pm
Post #10

City Key Holder
I have to agree with Isobel. Gaelic Immersion similar to the French version available here would seem to be the better way to go. Of course, living away for so many years, I don't have a handle on how much The Gaelic figures in every day life in Scotland...can't think it's huge. Is it more a cultural heritage thingie? I can't imagine being proficient in that language will do these kids much good in carving out their lives. Is there somebody among us who can sort me out?

I'm of the opinion (albeit humble) that in addition to English, our young folk would ace their place in the world if they considered learning Mandarin...or at the very least Spanish! unsure.gif Mind, Ah know it's no' gaunnae happen!

PS Martin...Ah shoulda more appropriately said "Here endeth the sermon".....no' "the lesson"! tongue.gif

PPS Isobel...that "new" building was a disgrace...an' tae think they demolished ma auld tenement hame tae make it even bigger....grrrrrr...
I'm with you. The Glasgow City Fathers of the sixties and seventies have a lot to be ashamed of although, as you say, thankfully there's still much in oor Dear Green Place to enjoy and be inordinately proud of.

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 4th Feb 2007, 11:14pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif Actualy I do agree it would be more beneficial to do Gaelic as an optional or half n half cos this worlds Asian community is vast & madarin/chinese are going to be a huge need in near future. I loved that old building & feel sad they replaced it with a huge glass & boarded up box sooooooooooo ugly. rolleyes.gif Even if Gaelics a hobby type language for the lovers of language as it is quite late in the piece to be reinstating it as a national language don`t you think?

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 5th Feb 2007, 01:49am
Post #12

City Key Holder
Well my curiosity was piqued when I realized this new school serves a total of only 320 students at all levels, nursery, primary and secondary. Found myself wondering just how many Gaelic schools there are in Scotland and just how many Scots might actually be interested in becoming proficient in The Gaelic sufficient to seek their higher education studying in that language.

Found some information on www.scotland.gov.uk contained in a table showing for the periods 1993 thru 1998, the very stats I was after ….Have a wee look….

1993-94 1994-95 1995-96 1996-97 1997-98
Nursery Units 3 3 3 3 10
Pupils 54 74 66 59 134
Primary Units 45 47 50 52 55
Pupils 1080 1258 1456 1587 1736
Secondary Units 9 10 9 12
Pupils 129 132 180 231

The numbers quoted show a definite increase over these years especially at the Primary level with education centres (schools to you ‘n’ me?) increasing by the end of the ’97-’98 school year to 55 with 1736 kids enrolled. However, most interestingly there was a huge fall-off at the Secondary level…..only 12 centres with 231 students enrolled ….in all of Scotland..

Don’t think we have to worry about the loss of English to the majority population any day soon, eh? unsure.gif Main thing is that the Gaelic culture is being encouraged and nurtured.

I still think the immersion route with English and Gaelic taught equally would be the best route to go…but hey….naebody asked me furst! tongue.gif

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
pwh60
post 8th Feb 2007, 06:11am
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 395
QUOTE (chookie bun @ 5th Feb 2007, 02:06 AM)
"I still think the immersion route with English and Gaelic taught equally would be the best route to go"

I did 4 years of Gaelic at Woodside, left school able to read, spell, and parse Gaelic (which not many Gaelic speakers could do), but could not speak much more than a few phrases of Gaelic, which I regret now. I'm not saying my failure to learn to speak Gaelic was the school's fault, but I was at a disadvantage from the beginning in that Gaelic was not spoken at home. Glad to see Gaelic will be the basic language in the new school. sad.gif Peter

+Quote Post
marina
post 8th Feb 2007, 11:15am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
Tha sin glè mhath tongue.gif

--------------------
Slinte mhor a h-uile l a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 6th Mar 2007, 03:44am
Post #15

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
smile.gif I do think it would be great for all adults at any age to learn there gaelic,(immersion) I agree).look at it this way every one can learn A code or if they want to speak in the mother country,then do so with pride.........Every place you live all speak in there own lcountry lingo and we dont know what they are saying,they learn english,but use there own,so why not A scots..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th Jun 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.