Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1454 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
farrochie
post 9th Mar 2013, 04:08pm
Post #166

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
It seems now that Scotland will be 3rd richest country in the EU, though you wouldn't think that from the headline.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ref...-costs.20449228

The arguments against managing our own affairs get more and more ridiculous.

Jagz1876 - Do you have a Twitter account. I am @farrochie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Mar 2013, 04:52pm
Post #167

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

So Scotlands share of the present rebate is £124m but if we become independent and retain the rebate it would be £378m...Now its been quite a few years since i left School and my maths may not be up to much, but surely if Scotland is such a drain on the UK finances and needs to be heavily subsidised that our payments would actually go down ??? Or is it just maybe Westminster and the Unionist press has downplayed how 'rich' Scotland is/can become..

Also if the Herald is somehow trying to deter people from voting yes next year they're not doing a good job because to me it just reinforces my belief we will be better off separate.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 9th Mar 2013, 05:18pm
Post #168

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
I know its very early days yet,... but the No Campaign (of which the Herald is clearly pioneering) are doing a terrific job for the Yes Campaign.
Every ball they bowl, has currently been hit for a six, by a capable and fearlessly well organised Scottish Independence movement.

Who would've ever expected a headline like THAT a few years ago?

I can't wait for Westminster to get involved or have the Tories realised the only way they wll retain power in the next UK Election, is to allow Scotland to 'float away' lol Perhaps they are too busy making themselves a piriah in Europe. Or perhaps they've finally realise the good days of picking the bits from the carcasse, are over?

They've done a deal with King Boris of London!

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 9th Mar 2013, 08:37pm
Post #169

Mega City Key Holder

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 10th Mar 2013, 10:03am
Post #170

Super Resident
Alistair Darling's argument is that we shouldn't be concerned about Tory governments in London, because Labour will be in power in Westminster some time in the future. He conveniently forgets that the Labour no longer has a real commitment to social justice. Labour must have policies that favour middle England; they have said this many times, including recently Ed Milliband. Westminster favours London and the south-east, always has, always will.

Had the union been one of equals, Scotland would have a population of 10-15 million, a globally competitive financial centre, modern industry and commerce. Look at the way our population was allowed to dip below 5M just a few years ago.

I believe that an independent Scotland will see immediate benefits in terms of investment and jobs. Why? Because Scottish Governments (no matter what make-up) will have to make major investment in new government departments that will have spending power over our revenues.

At the moment, all of our Corporation Tax, NICs, VAT, Income Tax, Fuel Tax, Petroleum Revenue Tax....ALL OF IT, goes down to the Westminster Treasury. Westminster politicians decide how that money is to be spent (Trident, foreign aid, wars, House of Lords...) and some comes back to Scotland. Of course there is a "transaction charge", like banks, they take money from us to manage OUR money!!!

Scotland needs to collect its own taxes and spend its revenues on what the people of Scotland decide. Westminster will never make decisions that favour Scotland. Only a Scottish Government with full powers will act on behalf of the people of Scotland. Scotland has talented people who can govern and administer; we have demonstrated that on a global scale.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Mar 2013, 11:23am
Post #171

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (farrochie @ 10th Mar 2013, 10:20am) *
Alistair Darling's argument is that we shouldn't be concerned about Tory governments in London, because Labour will be in power in Westminster some time in the future. He conveniently forgets that the Labour no longer has a real commitment to social justice. Labour must have policies that favour middle England; they have said this many times, including recently Ed Milliband. Westminster favours London and the south-east, always has, always will.

He also forgets that it was Harold Wilson and his government who gave the order to bury the McCrone report (for any unionist defenders who do not know about this, just Google "The McCrone Report") and we should be very concerned that a Labour (Tory Lite) government may again get into power in Westminster.

Perhaps some Labour supporters on here could tell us what good the Wilson/Callaghan and Blair/Brown governments actually did for the interests of Scotland and her people?

Vote YES Next Year thumbup.gif

P.S Sorry farrochie i'm not on Twitter, i've only just retired my carrier pidgeon biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Mar 2013, 11:53am
Post #172

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Here´s the best summing up of the McCrone Report that I have read:-

http://weegiewarbler.blogspot.com.es/2012/...t-official.html

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Mar 2013, 12:12pm
Post #173

Mega City Key Holder
It just keeps on getting worse for the Tory led vote NO Better Together campaign.

The normally eloquent and well mannered Labour MP Ian Davidson who famously admitted to threatening to give fellow Westminster MP Ms Eilidh Whiteford "a good doing" is at it again this time caught on microphone referring to a fellow Better Together laugh.gif Campaigner as a "Stupid B*****d", then "The most stupid of them all".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU5AJAhb-sg

Sadly, if this lot get their way and we vote No next year, then we, THE PEOPLE OF SCOTLAND will be the STUPIDEST B*****D'S of them all yes.gif

Vote YES next year thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 10th Mar 2013, 12:35pm
Post #174

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
"Sadly, if this lot get their way and we vote No next year, then we, THE PEOPLE OF SCOTLAND will be the STUPIDEST B*****D'S of them all

Vote YES next year"
Jagz1876

Yes I believe I will smile.gif

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 10th Mar 2013, 12:36pm
Post #175

Mega City Key Holder
"Sadly, if this lot get their way and we vote No next year, then we, THE PEOPLE OF SCOTLAND will be the STUPIDEST B*****D'S of them all

Vote YES next year"
Jagz1876

Yes I believe I will smile.gif

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 10th Mar 2013, 12:38pm
Post #176

Mega City Key Holder
Well that seems to be two yessesez from me.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Mar 2013, 12:47pm
Post #177

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Responding to the (Tony Blair) speech, SNP MSP Christina McKelvie MSP, said: "This is a good development for the 'yes' campaign, because the 10th anniversary of Tony Blair's invasion of Iraq on false pretences is a compelling illustration of the need for Scotland's parliament to have the full powers of independence.

"Scotland needs a parliament with the ability to speak with our own voice in the world, get rid of nuclear weapons and build a fair society and strong economy.

"That is why we need an independent Scotland - and the more often Tory Blair argues for 'no', the stronger the 'yes' vote will become."

What ever this manipulator is against would be reason enough for me to vote the other way.

Attached Image

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...litics-21686240

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 10th Mar 2013, 01:17pm
Post #178

Super Resident
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Mar 2013, 11:40am) *
Sorry farrochie i'm not on Twitter, i've only just retired my carrier pidgeon biggrin.gif

Think about opening a Twitter account, Jagz, it is just a simple registration. Lots of fun to be had posting there, as long as you can make your point in 140 characters. smile.gif

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 10th Mar 2013, 02:13pm
Post #179

Mega City Key Holder
No disrespect to you, farrochie, but this is why Twitter seems to be often restricted to retarded footballers, poor authors, and 'celebrities' who feel they have something to say (whilst getting a bit of free advertising).
I'm not all THAT impressed with FB, and in fact as its about to increase its advertising space, considerably, as soon as it does, that'll probably be that for me there, too. I only use THAT to be nosey about extended family - to be honest with you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Mar 2013, 03:42pm
Post #180

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DavidT @ 10th Mar 2013, 12:55pm) *
Well that seems to be two yessesez from me.

Oh no David......You'll have the Tory led Vote NO Better Together supporters screaming about dirty tricks laugh.gif

Well it's no worse than the other straws they've been clinging to tongue.gif

+Quote Post

1454 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.