Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can’t Get Gg, White pages!
sumac
post 30th Nov 2020, 10:34am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
Hi.
I have been unable to access GG, sometimes for days on end. Often, I get a few minutes online before the page goes white again and another few days go by without access.
I have investigated this and discovered it is because the site is not secure. Apparently, it is easy for the Board administrators to secure the site, impossible for the members. Would it be possible for you to do this? Please?
Many thanks.
Susanne

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 30th Nov 2020, 04:16pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I hope you get it sorted Sumac.
I once had a German matee of mine, an IT expert, come onto this site leaving no trace of his origin as TooHooHoo and posting a reply on a topic I was involved with and without registering or logging on.
Martin was miffed of course.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
sumac
post 30th Nov 2020, 05:42pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
I wish he could help me! 😭

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 30th Nov 2020, 07:37pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
I don`t have a bit of bother with this site,but suddenly Ebay has gone al cockeyed on me,I used to browse,and everything ,even from O/S showed Aussie dollars. now it`s US or UK money it shows.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 30th Nov 2020, 10:54pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (sumac @ 30th Nov 2020, 12:34pm) *
Hi.
I have been unable to access GG, sometimes for days on end. Often, I get a few minutes online before the page goes white again and another few days go by without access.
I have investigated this and discovered it is because the site is not secure. Apparently, it is easy for the Board administrators to secure the site, impossible for the members. Would it be possible for you to do this? Please?
Many thanks.
Susanne

You have restored my faith. There is a God !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 1st Dec 2020, 09:39am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (sumac @ 30th Nov 2020, 05:42pm) *
I wish he could help me! 😭

Sumac, non-secure sites are pretty common so sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. Usually, if it's your firewall or virus checker that's stopping you, you can click on it and tell it to allow access to the site. Also, have you cleared your cookies and search history, some devices (mine included) will only allow a limited number of searches before previous ones need cleared.

Might help, might not

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
sumac
post 1st Dec 2020, 02:45pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks, Ash. I’ve done all of that, although I can’t find on my iPad where to allow blocked sites. It can’t be blocking sites, though, as I can get on for a few minutes, like now, then it goes till next day.

Thank you, though, for that helpful post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Dec 2020, 06:04pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Sumac, last night I went in search of ma auld daddy's blunderbuss to firee a round of nuts an' bolts intaee ma computeer after threeee disastrous attempsd at answering a post that was seeemingly geettin' oan everybody's nerves.
At first I thought it was down to this wonky keyboard of minee so I disconnecteed it and reestarted but things only got worse.
I wanted to say that I had beeeen eexpreessing a thought and not an opinion when, suddenly opinionnnnn ... went like that all thee way down and would have gonee on foreveer as far as I could makee out.
Trying to to deleete was a fruitleess exceercoise so it was only left to me to reestsart sso I clicked onto the Windows icon to do just that and when the menu openeed theree were thee nnnnnns continuing theeir take-oveer so I reacheed oveer and shut the PC down physically.

When I switched back on and opened GG again I, gingeerly, attempted to makee the same reply again. It seemed to be going OK until I neeedeed to back-space to correct wheree I'd seeen too many ees in a word. That was when the back-spacee went mad and ran all thee way back to the first letter of that post.

I physically shut down again and on restarting openeed several web sitees including facebook wheree I had no problems whatso ever theen I went back to GG and starteed again but this timee thee pagee starteed scrolling down and no matteer what I trieed I couldn't hold thee reeply which I was doggedly trying to write.

I gave up: the post wasn't reeally worth trying to reeply anyway (no coconut awards for guessing whosee that was tongue.gif )

I did not want to chancee my hand heeree correecting typos by using thee back spacer ... just in casee rolleyes.gif

The question reemains: why only on GG? unsure.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Dec 2020, 08:20pm
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
life was definitely easier before we had all this hi tech stuff. I wasted 2 days of my weekend trying to sort out my Iphone4. I know its a dinosaur,it kept saying storage full,so I deleted so many things precious videos and photos,and other stuff,still pulling out my hair. Then I emptied the deleted files of email,that freed up a wee bit of storage but not much. i`m off to the shops to update. at my age I hate learning new gadgets,and things,I wont let my husband buy a new car, I`m famiiar with the old one.the new cars scare me.dont need keys,lock doors while you drive,oh someone please bring back the old days. !

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 6th Dec 2020, 09:25pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (taurus @ 6th Dec 2020, 08:20pm) *
life was definitely easier before we had all this hi tech stuff. I wasted 2 days of my weekend trying to sort out my Iphone4. I know its a dinosaur,it kept saying storage full,so I deleted so many things precious videos and photos,and other stuff,still pulling out my hair. Then I emptied the deleted files of email,that freed up a wee bit of storage but not much. i`m off to the shops to update. at my age I hate learning new gadgets,and things,I wont let my husband buy a new car, I`m famiiar with the old one.the new cars scare me.dont need keys,lock doors while you drive,oh someone please bring back the old days. !

Taurus, I know how you feel, but please listen to me. I wrote my first computer program just over fifty years ago.
I tried to get my wife interested in computers, but to no avail. I used to produce customised and personalised birthday cards and Christmas cards for my neighbours. Then digital technology made me redundant with my neighbours. Most of them latched on to Smartphones and/or iPads, but not my wife.

Sadly she went into a Care Home two weeks ago. She has no digital technology skills. Most of the other residents do.
They can keep in touch with relatives, friends and the outside world. So my advice to anyone is try and keep up with digital technology. Don’t become a couch potato, but make sure you know what buttons to press to keep in touch with loved ones and friends. I have found out too late, that I should have tried to encourage my wife to go down that road.

You may have to be out of pocket to buy upgrades. The bottom line is, what value do you put on a Zoom, Skype, Facebook, FaceTime session, if they are the only means of staying in touch with friends and family?

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Dec 2020, 10:54pm
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
I know what you`re saying Danny. We bought our first computer in 2003,and with the help of a great neighbour and my grandchildren,I learned to navigate the basics. It was my husband who ordered it on the phone,,when it came he said to me ,right you learn it. We went to a workshop (once !),run by the council and were amazed to see it packed with folk older than us,talking a computer language we didnt understand and we never went back. After all these years I still don`t know how to do cut and paste,too late now,and I don`t even know what i`d use it for,ha ha . I get by,I have Watsapp with my family,and feel my computer is my lifeline to the world. Don``t understand a meaning of a word ? just google,no need to be wondering about anything,google it all. My brother died and he always did the computer,his wife wouldnt touch it,for if she did anything wrong he wouldnt be pleased,now she wishes she had done it,for she has to give us a ring from Scotland and us ring her quite a lot.My husband can only do basic things,like looking up the hardware shop ,but I think if i`m out of the picture,he d have to learn a lot.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 6th Dec 2020, 11:11pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Thanks Taurus for your reply. It is good to hear that you have experienced what I am talking about. Digital technology is changing so rapidly that preschool age children will soon be making adults feel they that they are the ones who are not keeping up with them.

Just keep your fingers and wrists in good condition. Don’t bother about obesity. Everybody will be obese.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Dec 2020, 12:36am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 6th Dec 2020, 09:20pm) *
...I wont let my husband buy a new car ...bring back the old days. !

Hi Taurus, I had my brother-in-law take me to a store to return a hired tool on Friday. His new car is a big VW or Audi: I didn't pay much attention, but it has the now usual cameras at the front and rear, displays a list of filling stations within reach and prices for Diesel which it requires. On the way home he took his ands away from the wheel and showed me how the car maintains its position within its lane by self steering; picking up signals from the edge of the road and if the car in front slows down his will automatically sdjust its speeed to match.
I said that that would be handy if you wanted to get into thee back seat wae the burd ... or in case you nodded off at the wheel but he replied that that was taken care of by a camera that detects your eye movement too.
On approaching a roundabout I asked him if his car would self steer around that. He said It probably would by taking the indicaters into consideration but he'd never tried that.
I said let me know in advance anytime you feel like doing that rolleyes.gif
I don't half miss my old Mercedes S250 station wagon which retired last August after over 26 years and over 500,000 km on the clock (I only had it for the last10 years and it was a bargain: the dogs loved it biggrin.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 7th Dec 2020, 11:06am
Post #14

Super City Key Holder
oh I love this Tee Hee,complaining about progress. I miss my old Peugeot, (which was considered ,a cut above in this country 50 years ago ),manual column steering,drove with the window down ,no air conditioning,no radio,long before cassetes and cd`s.Quaint thing having a Peugeot or Renault,back then if you passed one on the road ,they flashed their lights at each other. Gentle days. My friend in recent years (self made man lotsa dough),bought a new BMW,lovely status symbol then. He got out to go in to the shops,clicked the key by habit,and his wife was locked in for 2 hours. That was a very bad design fault in the BMW. they got rid of it in a hurry. My son bought the very same model ,second hand of course,and when he was done with it we bought it from him. I loved that car,but was always terrified of the doors when I knew the history of that model. we sold it for $2000,and I cried til my eyes were sore when I saw it getting driven away out of our street. am i daft,you would think so. now we drive a 2007 Honda,which I have pranged on both sides ,like to keep things even.just wee prangs,cant be bothered getting them fixed.By the way,I never made a mark on that car which was 18 years old when we sold it,and I made a mess of the Honda when it was fairly new. Murphys law,eh,or just another daft woman driver !

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 8th Dec 2020, 08:25am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Technology is great if (a) it works and (cool.gif it enhances your life.

When I was an apprentice back in the '60s, I was introduced to binary numbers and a some group of us were making electronic calculators. That was a great boon for me because, up until then, I was trying (unsuccessfully) to master the use of a slide rule huh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Sep 2021

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.