Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> City Litter Wardens Now Tourist Guides, Glasgow Style Mile campaign brings change
GG
post 11th Aug 2009, 11:47pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Their introduction in May 2007 as part of the Clean Glasgow campaign was greeted with a mixture of anger and relief by the Glasgow public. Now the city's Community Enforcement Officers, famous (or infamous) for handing out 50 fines to thousands of people who dropped litter, cigarette butts or chewing gum, are set to become welcoming ambassadors for Glasgow after receiving customer service training.

As part of Glasgow's new 'Style Mile' campaign, the 37 CEOs will be issued with new uniforms displaying a gleaming gold information 'i' logo, hoping to catch the attention of a passing public eager for information about the city centre's shopping and visitor attractions.

The CEOs will now be expected to aid tourists and Glaswegians alike, explaining the many benefits Glasgow has to offer, while also making leisure recommendations and assisting people on their travels around the city centre.

The Style Mile campaign, funded to the tune of 4 million from the Better Glasgow Fund, will also address the growing problem of vacant city centre shops by erecting artworks by prominent Glasgow artists over the empty windows. The photographs below shows a 'Style Mile makeover' for the vacant former Qube shop in Argyle Street.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Lesley Ballantyne, Managing Director of John Lewis Partnership and chair of the Style Mile Steering Group, commented:
"Real collaboration is taking place between retailers, Glasgow City Council and other interested parties to ensure that we do everything we can to maintain our position as a premier shopping destination. It is particularly important during tougher economic times that we work together to give local shoppers and visitors an even better experience.

The City Centre Ambassadors are really well placed to let visitors know about what is on offer in our city and the city centre retail guide showcases the best of retail and leisure, from big department stores like John Lewis to independent retailers, all within a square mile of our stylish city."

The recently-appointed Glasgow Chamber of Commerce chief executive, Stuart Patrick, added:
"The city centre has been the star in the tale of Glasgow’s prosperity. It has put the spotlight firmly on generating jobs and it’s where all the action is on creating economic output.

Style Mile will be a strong new character added to the script, one that will boost our ratings. This new character is the latest offspring of a long-running affair between the city’s public and private sectors, one that has developed over a long period – as all good relationships do – and one that can add a new upbeat episode to Glasgow’s retail story."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 12th Aug 2009, 09:09am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi GG didn't Glasgow have people in really awful uniforms who helped tourists, come to think of it I have not seen any in a long time, what happened to them?

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
Patter Merchant
post 12th Aug 2009, 10:21am
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
Norrie, I think they were the Redcoats or something, but I think they were unemployed people getting work experience, or something like that. Maybe GG can clarify? Also can GG clarify what is happening with the Style Mile scheme? I remember my friend telling me that it had been binned by the retailers themselves because they didn't think it was worth it....

As for the story, I find the whole thing deeply embarrassing for Glasgow (and not just the fanciful comment made by the Chief Executive of Glasgow Chamber of Commerce). Many people opposed the tough enforcement style adopted by Clean Glasgow and the small number of Labour city councillors who used the campaign as a publicity stunt for themselves. Many people said that what was really needed was a focus on education rather than enforcement.

I also read news stories about how tourists wold not be returning to Glasgow after they had been snooped on and fined 50 for dropping a cigarette end. The tourists complained that there were not enough bins provided and very few of those were designed to accommodate lighted cigarette ends. The foreign tourists especially were also unused to smoking outside as part of the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants.

No wonder the number of tourists visiting the city has dropped dramatically - especially those foreign ones!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Aug 2009, 11:22am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Years ago, before the Fall of the Wall, I went into East Berlin (where they didn't have a tourist thing) I was surprised to see many great big concrete ashtrays outside the railway station and along that part of the road.
Woe betide anyone who didn't use them.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Aug 2009, 12:19pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Can you believe we need all this patrolling business in regard to rubbish? It defies understanding what we're coming to. With every passing day the news makes me think that I've done a Rip Van Winkle and woken up in ' The Emerald City'. We keep allowing more and more Band Aids to put be on top of gaping wounds.

+Quote Post
marydee
post 12th Aug 2009, 01:28pm
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Does this mean the CEO's will no longer be enforcing the City's litter laws ?

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 12th Aug 2009, 01:50pm
Post #7

I also read news stories about how tourists wold not be returning to Glasgow after they had been snooped on and fined 50 for dropping a cigarette end.

Where did you read that?

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Aug 2009, 02:11pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Marydee, well the report refers to the fact that these folk will receive 'additional training'. Noo whether or no that means that they've tae talk tae tourists while they hand oot penalties to litter louts escapes me. Mind you, we could be getting a whole load of other folk in the auld uniforms tae jist deal wi litter, ye never know these days. If all else fails we could jist keep puttin' up art work in empty shop windows to detract from the litter. Sorry the whole thing is just so ludicrous.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Aug 2009, 03:52pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
" If all else fails ....................

People are being paid to come up with all this while the City is cutting back in more deserving fields.

Melody, you're an astute observer ... or is it blatantly obvious?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Aug 2009, 04:20pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Well Teeheehee, ah would like tae think that ah was an astute observer but ah think it's jist blatantly obvious......... sadly. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 12th Aug 2009, 05:18pm
Post #11

Would someone please tell me what is wrong with employing wardens to hand out tickets to litter louts in a city which has such an obvious litter problem?

Pouring scorn on an initiative to help tourists in the city also puzzles me.

Could it be that Glaswegians simply like a whinge?

+Quote Post
marydee
post 12th Aug 2009, 08:38pm
Post #12

City Key Holder
Well one thing is for sure if they are penalising litter louts as well as giving out information they will be able to direct the tourists to the Sheriff Court where they can pay their fines.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Aug 2009, 10:25pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
huh.gif I really don't think that the tourists are the litter louts.
Litter is not an issue in Europe ... except when council workers withdraw their labour. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
marydee
post 12th Aug 2009, 10:38pm
Post #14

City Key Holder
Hi, Guest you are probably right and despite the fact I sometimes moan and wonder where some of the Council's ideas come from I love Glasgow and I love the things that the Council get right. The idea that there should be people in Glasgow giving out information to tourists is not a new one ...the Glasgow people have been doing it for years.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 13th Aug 2009, 05:46am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
laugh.gif So we have Marydee. My point is basically that all these jobs traditionally would have been provided by the jolly police officer. I'm trying to make the point that we keep adding on something in order to fix something that was not broken in the first place. It's all policing on the cheap. Employ enough properly funded trained people to do a job of work and we might get it right. We throw good money after bad.

Oh and yes we do love whinge. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.