Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Irish Immigrants Garscube / Dobbies / St. George's, History of Garscube Road and the Irish
Dave Grieve
post 20th Nov 2013, 01:36pm
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 20th Nov 2013, 03:47pm) *
I think the picture is a bit clearer now.When I was a kid I remember taking deliveries to a convent up there.The place was quite daunting for a wee proddy boy,but the nuns always gave me a florin.

Lucky boy, all I ever got was a skelp on the ear laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 20th Nov 2013, 02:16pm
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Dave you must have been a naughty boy to get a skelp on the ear. wink.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 20th Nov 2013, 05:18pm
Post #78

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 20th Nov 2013, 11:37am) *
Thats interesting Dave.One of the roads running to the east is Garngad Rd,the other one is Garngadhill,thats all I can see so I presume it is road.I think Garngad Rd is now Charles Street and Garngadhill is now Royston Rd.

One of the certificates I found states that a marriage took place in the Parish of Garngadhill. I presume that would be on a par with my parents being married in St Josephs in the Parish of Milton. Mary

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 20th Nov 2013, 06:26pm
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Mary, if you have the time and may be inclined have a wee look at St Aloysius Church website.I think you might find it interesting.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 21st Nov 2013, 05:43am
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Heather @ 20th Nov 2013, 04:33pm) *
Dave you must have been a naughty boy to get a skelp on the ear. wink.gif

Och Heather naughty's a bit harsh! boisterous maybe, anyway if you ever went to Langbank for your summer holidays there was always the chance of it happening biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 21st Nov 2013, 03:17pm
Post #81

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
anyone know the name of this church on garscube road was brought up there but can not remember it being there, also a photo acorn st think it was nearby cheers c/b

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 21st Nov 2013, 05:37pm
Post #82

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I dont remember it being used as a church.It became a grain store for Whitbreads next door. Great photoes.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 21st Nov 2013, 10:25pm
Post #83

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Like Jupiter, I don't remember that church ever being used for Sunday services. I lived about 150 yards away on the same side of Garscube Road, from 1931 to 1952.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Heather
post 21st Nov 2013, 11:32pm
Post #84

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Davy, I was in Langbank once and that was enough. I only went because a younger sister put her name down for it and I had to go with her.

The Nuns did not bother me as I was used to them at School, it was some of the bossy Staff who annoyed me.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*george mc dade*
post 19th Dec 2013, 02:30pm
Post #85

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 17th Oct 2010, 03:36pm) *
There was a boxer who lived in Garscube Road near Queens Cross,60/70s named John McDaid.McDade.He was an amateur who Im sure represented Scotland.He later worked for Scottish and Newcastle Brewery and eventually lived in the Wyndford.

george mc dade 19/12/13 my dad was george mc dade the boxer from garscube road he worked for the brewers and we moved to the wyndford,my dad also was a professional boxer

+Quote Post
*george mc dade*
post 20th Dec 2013, 07:40pm
Post #86

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 24th Jan 2013, 03:51pm) *
Now you mention it Aaron I think he stayed up number 1 or 5 Hinshaw Street.

+Quote Post
*george mc dade*
post 20th Dec 2013, 07:52pm
Post #87

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 24th Jan 2013, 03:51pm) *
Now you mention it Aaron I think he stayed up number 1 or 5 Hinshaw Street.

geo 20/12/13im sure thats my dad your speaking about,i know he lived in hinshaw st and he moved to dobbies loan with my mum,we left there in 1966 and moved to the wyndford my dad was an amateur boxer but turned pro and went on to win the scottish title,walter mc gowan was his last fight, but he went on to run boxing clubs and was in volved in boxing till he died of a heart attack in 1983 aged just 50and your right he was popular,he was a gentleman

+Quote Post
MacPean
post 27th Jul 2014, 07:26pm
Post #88

Visitor
Member No.: 6,527
My Family lived in Garscube road on the 1891 census and then Cameron street on the 1901 census.

--------------------
Just waiting for my Hogwarts letter

+Quote Post
martha
post 5th Jan 2017, 12:20am
Post #89

Unpacking
Member No.: 36,184
QUOTE (Scots Evelyn @ 6th Mar 2007, 11:10am) *
unsure.gif Hi Mijwoodward,

I am also researching my husband's family history from around the same area. They were Moloneys and they stayed at Raglan Street, round the corner from St. Georges Road. They arrived in Scotland from Ireland around 1894/95. I recently visited the area, and all of the old tenements are now gone, having been replaced with flats. I did notice that there was a large church in St. Georges Road, 'St Georges in the Fields'. This church may hold records of your family history. Maybe Paul Kelly might know something about it? I am planning on paying a visit there one day soon, as I stay in the Glasgow area, and I will make enquiries as to any records which they may hold. I'll post my findings here.( I am assuming that it was a catholic church as the area around there seemed to be filled with irish immigrants.)

Regards

Evelyn

+Quote Post
martha
post 5th Jan 2017, 12:33am
Post #90

Unpacking
Member No.: 36,184
I just came across your post from 2007 Evelyn. Hopefully you're still following this thread. I've been researching my father's family and it looks like it's the same family you're researching (your husband's family). My Granny was Mary Bridget Maloney, born in Dundalk in 1893. Her parents William Maloney and Mary Ann (maiden name McCabe) Maloney were married in Dundalk 24th Feb 1892 (same as your relatives) and moved to Glasgow after my Granny was born. They're at 22 Raglan Street in 1901 census and 16 Fleming Street in 1911. I have some reminiscences from my uncle Paddy McCulloch (from one of my cousins). Paddy had a great memory and much of what I have found in the records is backed up by his recollections. Fingers crossed you're still on the trail.

Martha

QUOTE (Scots Evelyn @ 6th Mar 2007, 11:10am) *
unsure.gif Hi Mijwoodward,

I am also researching my husband's family history from around the same area. They were Moloneys and they stayed at Raglan Street, round the corner from St. Georges Road. They arrived in Scotland from Ireland around 1894/95. I recently visited the area, and all of the old tenements are now gone, having been replaced with flats. I did notice that there was a large church in St. Georges Road, 'St Georges in the Fields'. This church may hold records of your family history. Maybe Paul Kelly might know something about it? I am planning on paying a visit there one day soon, as I stay in the Glasgow area, and I will make enquiries as to any records which they may hold. I'll post my findings here.( I am assuming that it was a catholic church as the area around there seemed to be filled with irish immigrants.)

Regards

Evelyn

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.