Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvingrove Art Galleries, Continuing the Myth?
Thomas
post 12th Jul 2005, 09:14pm
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
Indeed, the Art Galleries and Museum at Kelvingrove were not built 'back to front' as popular myth dictates. It is very much as the previous author pointed out - the road at the now back, was actually the main route from Partick to Argyle and Sauchiehall Streets. During the building, plans for the road emerged and suddenly the building was apparently facing the wrong way. It is in fact the main road is now in the wrong place.

I also grew up believing this story and I was also told that the architect committed suicide because his beautiful building was diminished.

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CharingCross
post 10th Sep 2014, 11:39am
Post #2

Unpacking
Member No.: 26,495
I was told the very same story. That the architect jumped off the roof because it was built back to front.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 10th Sep 2014, 12:02pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
ye quite an olde that one......simple logic would suggest the architect would have noticed it was back to front well before they put the roof on haha

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 27th Nov 2014, 10:52am
Post #4

QUOTE (Thomas @ 12th Jul 2005, 09:31pm) *
Indeed, the Art Galleries and Museum at Kelvingrove were not built 'back to front' as popular myth dictates. It is very much as the previous author pointed out - the road at the now back, was actually the main route from Partick to Argyle and Sauchiehall Streets. During the building, plans for the road emerged and suddenly the building was apparently facing the wrong way. It is in fact the main road is now in the wrong place.

I also grew up believing this story and I was also told that the architect committed suicide because his beautiful building was diminished.

That was an "urban legend" every Glesga wean wis telt as a matter of faith from the first time they went to the Art Galleries.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.