Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lucky Middens
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 04:43am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
When i was a wee boy in possil, there was a story about some people used to throw away lots of good quality stuff, and if you searched long enough, you would find something.
Well, i searched and searched through every midden in my back court, but i never found anything of value.
DId you have a lucky midden?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th May 2013, 05:51am
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
We had 'lucky fields' quite near us and the belief was that, a long time ago, it was some kind of disposal area for a toy factory or some thing of that nature. The story was that if you moved the dirt just at the top layer, there were 'riches' to be found. And it was true to an extent because some of us did find very old and very cheap toys like plastic soldiers and trinkets!

Also, we used to go through the bins at at our school just after the school year had ended and there was a big clear out. What we were looking for, I don't know!? rolleyes.gif

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 9th May 2013, 07:54am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I knew someone who went by the name of Midge E. Raker.
He never had much luck in the on line middens.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 9th May 2013, 08:02am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Never quite got in to midgie raking, I used to hate trying to find a clean tin for a game of "Kick the Can" though rolleyes.gif Why did no one wash their cans like some folk do today huh.gif Some of my neighbours get their wheelie bins pressure washed by a guy in a big van.

Wheelie bin raker just doesn't sound the same tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
*Guvinboay*
post 9th May 2013, 08:21am
Post #5

If youse nevir raked a digie yous huv nevir lived. Twis a common practice wi' us yin Guvin weans!

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 01:45pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DavidT @ 9th May 2013, 08:11am) *
I knew someone who went by the name of Midge E. Raker.
He never had much luck in the on line middens.

i makes you wonder what goes through parents minds biggrin.gif

I have a work colleague who was called TOMMY.
Not bad, but his surname was gun. biggrin.gif

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 9th May 2013, 02:01pm
Post #7

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
Purplefan,
its no suprise that you never found anything "lucky"in Possil, who the hell had money to thow good things away? Now we used to travel down to places like Great Western Road, Byers Road. Thats where the toffs lived.
I will tell you what we did have though, on Coxhill St. off Keppochhill road there was some kind of recycling warehouse, l think they bought the woolen rags from the ragman. Anyhow, they had a open topped railway wagon at the back of the building. When we were kids we would go raid that wagon on the weekends. We would find a few pennies, or the odd threepenny bit, and a ton of rosery beads. A few closes along from where l lived l was raking the bins for ginger bottles and found a hand grenade, complete with pin.I took it home and showed my Da, He threw it in the canal off Pinkston road.
You never knew what you could find
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 03:18pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
I remember once in possil there was a family who did a moonlight flit,
and someone shouted out "LUCKY MIDDEN"!! and i swear there must have been
about 20 weans came from every direction, to scavenge in that bin.
It was picked clean is seconds.
Like a swarm of locusts in biblical times.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Tam C
post 9th May 2013, 05:11pm
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 10,534
Hi all yeah Foxy rememeber that siding in Coxhill St we called it the lucky wagons ,you could find the strangest things there money ,foreign coins I found a load of rifle bullets needless to say we put them on the pavement and smashed boulders on the end of them to make them fire ,how daft can you get ? We also had a couple of kids in our building who were like ''professionall '' midge rakers every time they wandered of somewhere somebody would shout 'what shift are ye working today ' .Good times and GREAT memories Cheers Tam C

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 9th May 2013, 06:00pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Now we used to travel down to places like Great Western Road, Byers Road.

Good pickins' doon that way! Aye

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 9th May 2013, 07:34pm
Post #11

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (Tam C @ 9th May 2013, 01:28pm) *
Hi all yeah Foxy rememeber that siding in Coxhill St we called it the lucky wagons ,you could find the strangest things there money ,foreign coins I found a load of rifle bullets needless to say we put them on the pavement and smashed boulders on the end of them to make them fire ,how daft can you get ? We also had a couple of kids in our building who were like ''professionall '' midge rakers every time they wandered of somewhere somebody would shout 'what shift are ye working today ' .Good times and GREAT memories Cheers Tam C

Hi Tam C,
Yes that was it, the lucky wagon. We did some stupid things when we were kids. Did you ever get hold of the railway detonators?, they were used to warn the engine drivers when there was a problem further up the line. We got hold of a box of 12 over in Cowlairs, Do you remember if you went in the back court of Hamiltons dairy, you had to climb a flight of stairs to get into the back? Well we had a few of those detonators laying on the lower level, and were dropping half bricks on them to make them explode. After the neighbors chased us, we then put them on the tram lines. You should have seen the look on the tram driver's face when they went off.
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
Tam C
post 9th May 2013, 07:58pm
Post #12

Super Resident
QUOTE (Foxy52 @ 9th May 2013, 08:51pm) *
Hi Tam C,
Yes that was it, the lucky wagon. We did some stupid things when we were kids. Did you ever get hold of the railway detonators?, they were used to warn the engine drivers when there was a problem further up the line. We got hold of a box of 12 over in Cowlairs, Do you remember if you went in the back court of Hamiltons dairy, you had to climb a flight of stairs to get into the back? Well we had a few of those detonators laying on the lower level, and were dropping half bricks on them to make them explode. After the neighbors chased us, we then put them on the tram lines. You should have seen the look on the tram driver's face when they went off.
Cheers
Foxy

Hi Foxy Yeps railway detonators same place Cowlairs there was a shed there full of them never locked so you know where they ended up ,nutcase kids who thought they were immortal ,we were that daft we made a small hole in the side of the detonator with a nail then put a shoelace soaked in a saltpeter solution as a fuse ,one of my mates blew off the school gate at Possil Secondary with a couple of them taped together , its a wonder we were not maimed or worse or jailed .Cheers Tam C

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 9th May 2013, 08:44pm
Post #13

Super Lord Provost
Tam, its a wonder we made it through childhood, My 2 sons are 41 and 40 years old,we left Glasgow in 1977 when the oldest was 5 and the youngest 4. They never really experienced a childhood like ours, Thank God!
I listen to the two of them talk about "the old days" and the mischief they got up to over here. I just sit there and snigger, but at the same time l'm thankful that they didn't have to be raised the way we were.
Then l think to myself, would l have done anything different if l could have ?
Nope!, l loved my childhood......lol
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
Tam C
post 10th May 2013, 09:48am
Post #14

Super Resident
QUOTE (Foxy52 @ 9th May 2013, 10:01pm) *
Tam, its a wonder we made it through childhood, My 2 sons are 41 and 40 years old,we left Glasgow in 1977 when the oldest was 5 and the youngest 4. They never really experienced a childhood like ours, Thank God!
I listen to the two of them talk about "the old days" and the mischief they got up to over here. I just sit there and snigger, but at the same time l'm thankful that they didn't have to be raised the way we were.
Then l think to myself, would l have done anything different if l could have ?
Nope!, l loved my childhood......lol
Cheers
Foxy

To true Foxy looking back wonder how we made to where we are now but like you loved my childhood in Keppochhill Rd Cheers Tam C

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.