Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mobile Phone Scam 0709 Numbers, [Update] Costs money, but not £50 /min
*Guest*
post 15th Sep 2005, 09:08pm
Post #31

just thought i'd check the internet after getting three missed calls recently, considering only about 2 people ever phone my number this was quite strange.
the numbers were as follows:-
i did recently give my mobile number out to my car insurance company - hope this isn't connected
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 16th Sep 2005, 07:41am
Post #32

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Guest,

I don't think it is connected as I think these calls may be randomly/sequentially generated by the caller as they work through the 'phone book'.

Glad you were able to get some advice from here.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*JB*
post 16th Sep 2005, 01:15pm
Post #33

thanks for the info on the website...just got another one from 07094 621576

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Sep 2005, 08:38am
Post #34

[Deleted]

+Quote Post
marina
post 20th Sep 2005, 09:12am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
what is this ??????????????????????????????????????

--------------------
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
Heather
post 20th Sep 2005, 01:08pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Marina, when you find out let me know. I am also curious. wub.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 20th Sep 2005, 06:04pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715

+Quote Post
marina
post 21st Sep 2005, 06:37am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
dexter i think your right, itll be the guy/girl that keeps repeating themself biggrin.gif

--------------------
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 23rd Sep 2005, 01:46pm
Post #39

I have recieved three from these numbers this week.

07094 685 355

07094 631 825

Do what im doing tell your friends, employees and forum buddies.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 23rd Sep 2005, 01:48pm
Post #40

http://www.bt.com/home/pricing/uk.htm

These are NOT premium rate calls guys.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 25th Sep 2005, 09:32pm
Post #41

A couple more - both stopped ringing before I answered, then I noticed the same prefix. Thanks to this site (via Google) I know the score!
07094 631870
07094 675023

+Quote Post
*Nicola*
post 26th Sep 2005, 09:51pm
Post #42

Hi

I got caught out today seems this scam is still going on the number I got called from was 07904 631 352 when I called it back it went on to a recording saying your contact was being located I immediately hung up thinking it was a scam. I found this site via Google so was happy I didnt hold on the line for ages. Beware let everyone you know with a mobile know about this. I can see a lot of people being caught out.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 26th Sep 2005, 10:43pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
An O7094 number is charged per minute at teh following arte.
070904 Daytime 16.71p Evening 9.85p weekend 9.85p
If the call is transferred it's the call's recipient who pays any extra costs not the caller.

What's the scam again? I do think someone is having a laugh.

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Sep 2005, 07:46am
Post #44

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
As Dexter and a few guests have pointed out, and as my earlier post states, the £50 per minute and £20 per minute rates being quoted for returning these calls is a myth perpetuated by spam emails.

From Snopes.com:

Claim:  In Britain, mobile phone owners are being tricked into calling numbers that charge them £50 a minute.

Mobile phone users are being lured into placing calls for which they will be charged £50 a minute:  False.
Similar schemes that rack up tolls at much lower rates are afoot:  True.

Further clarification is quoted here, eminating from ICSTIS, the Independent Committee for the Supervision of Standards of Telephone Information Services:

£20 per minute phone scams are a myth, says ICSTIS

OUT-LAW News, 06/06/2005

Britain's regulator of premium rate telephone calls is telling the public to ignore any e-mails that warn of £20 and £50 per minute telephone scams. These are hoaxes, says ICSTIS, and the most you can really pay is £1.50 per minute.

The regulator has been inundated with queries about two e-mails that are being circulated widely.

One warns of a scam involving a recorded message, which informs recipients that they have won an all-expenses paid holiday, but must press 9 to hear more. According to the e-mail, pressing 9 then connects the caller to a £20 per minute premium rate line that charges for five minutes connection, even if disconnected straight away. The e-mail also warns that if the call is not disconnected, the caller is charged £260 for the entire message.

The second hoax e-mail warns of a missed call from a number beginning 0709. If recipients call that number, they are connected to a £50 per minute premium rate line, says the e-mail.

But the e-mails are hoaxes, insists ICSTIS. The highest premium rate tariff is £1.50 per minute, so it is impossible for any premium rate service provider to charge £20 or £50 per minute.

The regulator explains that despite the dozens of enquiries it has received about these 'scams,' most people appear to have heard about them second or third-hand – and not one person who claims that it has actually happened to them has been able to produce a phone bill to support their story.

The e-mails should be deleted, not forwarded to others, says ICSTIS, which issued a similar plea in December.

Hope this helps clear matters up!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
leeninaus
post 27th Sep 2005, 12:12pm
Post #45

City Key Holder
Member No.: 191
I have had a few missed calls recently with numbers I didn't recognise.. When I tried to call them back I was told in a message I had not the facility on my ( new) mobile for calling interstate & overseas numbers! As it turned out, these numbers were from potential employers & had also called my land-line & left messages! Had things been different regards to my mobile( cell) phone contract I may have been out of pocket in x number of $$$ I think most of us now wherever we reside are having to put up with most of the companies we deal with are using Asian call centres... no need to state why in any term other than they are CHEAP!! BUT, after reading this post I for one will be extra vigilant in returning calls!!!! Thankyou!!

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.