Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

321 Pages V  « < 304 305 306 307 308 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 3 V
carmella
post 19th Sep 2019, 09:30am
Post #4576

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 18th Sep 2019, 09:36pm) *
Baby steps, i'll put the kettle on. biggrin.gif

LoL that’s too funny! At least you have my sense of humour😀

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 19th Sep 2019, 11:43am
Post #4577

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
While it's quiet in here at the moment perhaps Kem can give his thoughts on whether Swinson was correct to say that she "does not forgive David Cameron for calling a referendum on the EU"?

Baring in mind she was all for one before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-4...e-reporting-map

More LibDem double standards? unsure.gif

https://fullfact.org/europe/jo-swinson-eu-referendum-quotes/

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 19th Sep 2019, 12:43pm
Post #4578

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
From the article:

Liberal Democrats therefore remain committed to an in/out referendum the next time a British government signs up for fundamental change in the relationship between the UK and the EU.

Looks to me like the Lib Dems would not have called a referendum themselves, if in the unlikely position of being in government. The position looks to be one of readiness to defend our EU membership were one to be called. And I think that's what they have now done and continue to do.

You are brazenly using the Leave vote to strengthen your argument for Scottish independence. For you, Brexit is a free ride, which you are taking advantage of; your apparent interest in the heart of this debate is very clearly a false pretence.

And yet, if the SNP had got its way, then the Brexit referendum would not have happened, because the party opposed it. See the very first post in this thread.

I hope another indyref never happens, but if one does, I hope SNP policy would, in lieu of a general election, continue to allow for a people's vote on the final deal, which thankfully remains a shared policy of the political alliance opposed to Brexit.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 19th Sep 2019, 04:34pm
Post #4579

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 19th Sep 2019, 01:43pm) *
You are brazenly using the Leave vote to strengthen your argument for Scottish independence.

And yet, if the SNP had got its way, then the Brexit referendum would not have happened, because the party opposed it.

I hope another indyref never happens

No i'm not Kem, i merely asked for your thoughts on Swinson's comment.

You make that sound like a bad thing?

You, Swinson and Rennie too, thankfully it's not up to your lot. wink.gif

+Quote Post
carmella
post 19th Sep 2019, 05:20pm
Post #4580

Mega City Key Holder
ohmy.gif Surprise, surprise no mention of Proroguing Parliament in these discussions. It has been compulsive viewing for me. thumbup.gif

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 19th Sep 2019, 06:27pm
Post #4581

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 19th Sep 2019, 05:34pm) *
No i'm not Kem, i merely asked for your thoughts on Swinson's comment.

You make that sound like a bad thing?

You, Swinson and Rennie too, thankfully it's not up to your lot. wink.gif

You could've just admitted you were wrong. I mean, would the Lib Dems need to call a Brexit referendum? wacko.gif

But to vote against holding one was undemocratic. The SNP alone opposed it, exhibiting one heck of a double standard.

As far as forgiveness goes, well, I believe in it even if Jo can't. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 23rd Sep 2019, 08:57pm
Post #4582

Mega City Key Holder
In my opinion, only Government ministers should remain neutral during a referendum and should accept the declared view of the people.

Separate to that argument, I've stated that I'm also in favour of holding a confirmatory public vote (referendum and/or election) in necessary circumstances, such as this Brexit fiasco.

What I cannot begin to understand is how the Labour Party has today contrived to adopt a neutral position on Brexit, when the clever money at the moment is on an Autumn general election, set to be dominated if not consumed by this single issue.

The Party has just moved to neutralise its appeal to both sides of the debate.

They're gubbed! wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 24th Sep 2019, 09:26am
Post #4583

Mega City Key Holder

clap.gif clap.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 24th Sep 2019, 09:51am
Post #4584

Mega City Key Holder
Under normal circumstances the PM would resign, doubt if that will happen and will Her Maj summon Johnson to the palace to explain why he has left her looking less than regal?

So what happens now, does parliament reconvene in order to fail to achieve anything? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 24th Sep 2019, 12:16pm
Post #4585

Mega City Key Holder
Come on Jagz. Stop dousing us from the sidelines with your bucket of cold water. Get engaged, and for once back your Party's actions on this issue.

"Sovereignty!" We heard the Brexiteers cry. "Sovereignty for our country!!" Well, how do they like it now. Always be careful what you wish for. It isn't the European parliament or courts defeating this government again and again.

Is this lawless PM going to create anarchy on the streets, or as the inept architect of the Leave campaign will he now admit defeat and sensibly hand control back to the people by way of a follow-up referendum?

The UK Supreme court upholding an SNP led legal challenge against the government, even after an English High Court's ruling had gone in favour???

Extraordinary times!

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 24th Sep 2019, 12:57pm
Post #4586

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 24th Sep 2019, 01:16pm) *
Come on Jagz. Stop dousing us from the sidelines with your bucket of cold water. Get engaged, and for once back your Party's actions on this issue.

You'll forgive me if i don't pop the champagne Kem, i want my party saving democracy in Scotland and not wasting time trying to save England from itself. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 24th Sep 2019, 02:21pm
Post #4587

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 24th Sep 2019, 01:57pm) *
I want my party saving democracy in Scotland and not wasting time trying to save England from itself. wink.gif

Would you now describe yourself as politically homeless?

+Quote Post
carmella
post 24th Sep 2019, 05:05pm
Post #4588

Mega City Key Holder
Parliament has to be reconvened, there is no doubt. My goodness didn’t they make a big deal of the Supreme Court ruling at the Labour Party Shin-dig, or Corbyn did. They have no chance of forming the next Government if there is an election.

So what next Boris getting the boot, another referendum or the status quo. Who knows but it is a mess and the rest of the world must be laughing!

This little lady, however, is not laughing!

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 24th Sep 2019, 05:44pm
Post #4589

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 24th Sep 2019, 03:21pm) *
Would you now describe yourself as politically homeless?

No.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 24th Sep 2019, 05:49pm
Post #4590

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 24th Sep 2019, 06:05pm) *
Parliament has to be reconvened, there is no doubt. My goodness didn’t they make a big deal of the Supreme Court ruling at the Labour Party Shin-dig, or Corbyn did. They have no chance of forming the next Government if there is an election.

So what next Boris getting the boot, another referendum or the status quo. Who knows but it is a mess and the rest of the world must be laughing!

This little lady, however, is not laughing!

You are 100% correct Carmella, Labour have no chance of winning any election, Johnson will be back in No10 when the votes are counted which was what he wanted all along, i can't think why people are getting excited by this at all. unsure.gif

+Quote Post

321 Pages V  « < 304 305 306 307 308 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.