Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Printers Bardowie Street, work 1945
sss65
post 13th Dec 2008, 04:38pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 1,333
My dad cannot remember the name of a printers that he worked at as a boy of 15. It was on Bardowie street going towards Possil park parish church for the cross on the left hand side. He said it was opposite the subterranean toilets and the Ploice box.
Anyone any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sss65
post 13th Dec 2008, 07:28pm
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 1,333
Sorry- should have said it was in 1945 that he worked there.

+Quote Post
flam
post 18th Dec 2008, 12:36am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi sss65 Although I stayed in Possil from 1952, I cant remember anyone talking about a printers in Bardowie St across from the Police Box and Toilets ,the shops I remember where Perotti,s Fish and Chip shop, a Doctors,McKechnies the bookies,Kelvin dairy,a Newsagent, a Barbers and opposie ther would be McManus,s Pawn ,a clothing store The Mans Shop,a Laundrette,a small electrical shop,a cobblers, there is a poster on this site who was brought up in Carbeth street who may help you called John Watson Cheers Mate-..Flim

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th May 2009, 11:04pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I was working in Clydebridge steel works in `64 driving an overhead crane in a bay with an other three cranes on a three shift system. A 6 till 2 shift on a Sunday meant you could come in at midnight Saturday to grease the crane, which didn't take long,and have 14 hours at double time.
This usually meant leaving the party and going to work, calling your number in at the gate, sneak out the back and back to the party and sneak in again before 6 then call your number in again from the bothy phone to continue with the day shift.
One night, no party, after fettling the crane, I curled up in the cabin to sleep it off till six but was woken in the wee hours by a distinct movement of or on the crane and climbed the ladder out of the cabin onto the gantry only to see my own two cousins, the twins, stripping the copper of the crane.
The said they would cut me in. Didn't know I was there.
I told them to find a crane in another bay somewhere because I was booked in by the Time Office so either I'm nickin' the copper or I'm not at my place of work.
Took a bit of convincing...especially since the twins were also driving cranes in Clydebridge.
Oh, and they had had a way of getting it out allright !

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
**pwm437**
post 11th Jul 2009, 07:06am
Post #5

QUOTE (sss65 @ 13th Dec 2008, 04:32pm) *
My dad cannot remember the name of a printers that he worked at as a boy of 15. It was on Bardowie street going towards Possil park parish church for the cross on the left hand side. He said it was opposite the subterranean toilets and the Ploice box.
Anyone any ideas?

The printers your dad worked at may well have been L & J McCallum, printers at 137 Bardowie Street

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.