Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oops ... We've Lost (most Of) A Tram!, One item not going to the Riverside Museum
Drew
post 9th Feb 2011, 10:46pm
Post #61

Resident
Member No.: 6,118
QUOTE (GG @ 9th Feb 2011, 09:46pm) *
The chairman of Glasgow Life, Councillor George Redmond, responded to the letter to The Herald posted above with his own letter in defence of the performance of Glasgow Life. Unfortunately for the councillor chairman, his letter only served to inflame matters when he declared that "The collection belongs to Glasgow City Council...". The next day a further letter was sent to the newspaper informing the councillor that:

... He refers to "the collection" and maintains this unspecified collection belongs to Glasgow City Council. In fact, all such assets belong to the citizens of Glasgow as common good. How could they be transferred to Glasgow Culture and Sport (later Glasgow Life) without public consultation and with no complete inventory of the items to be protected? ...

GG.

Councils are bound by strict rules which require them, in law, to do some things and conversely, bar them from doing things they are not entitled to do. If the writer of this most recent letter thinks GCC have acted 'ultra vires' he can ask the Council's senior legal officer to make a ruling on the matter. Or any other citizen can ask the question.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th Feb 2011, 11:18pm
Post #62

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Thanks Drew, good point.

The issue raised by the latest letter writer regarding "no complete inventory of the items" existing at the time of the creation of Culture and Sport Glasgow (later renamed Glasgow Life) is the same issue raised by the then Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group at Glasgow City Council, Christopher Mason, when the charitable company was set up in 2007:

The Outline Business Case for the charitable company to run Glasgow's cultural and leisure services barely mentions the Common Good Fund, so I don't know what to make of John Lynch's [convener of Glasgow City Council's Cultural and Leisure Services] assurance that the council is putting in place measures to safeguard it. Perhaps he could tell us what the measures are and publish a list of the common good assets to be managed or used by the charity if it is set up. It is also good to have his promise that ownership of the assets is to stay with the council, but I don't think that point was ever in serious doubt.

Perhaps the Labour leadership in the council could give now some public answers to the hard questions.

How does it reconcile Councillor Purcell's pledge that the council will still have full control of cultural and leisure services, with the legal requirement that to qualify for charitable status an organisation must be truly independent and capable of taking its own decisions? How is the charity to be accountable to citizens? If the charity is truly independent, will the council be able to control any charges it levies for its services to the public?

I really do not understand John Lynch's assertion that the charity will be able to access funds that the council cannot. He refers to the Kelvingrove Regeneration Appeal and says it "showed how such public-private partnerships can work". Indeed it did: a body of trustees led brilliantly by Lord Macfarlane raised millions of pounds on the clear understanding that it was going to pass on the money to Glasgow City Council for it to spend on Kelvingrove. Why should this system not work equally well for other projects? [...]

Christopher Mason
Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group, Glasgow City Council.

Although I note that Dr Mason also refers to the assets belonging to Glasgow City Council and not the people of Glasgow. I will post here any clarification on the matter which may emerge.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 9th Feb 2011, 11:57pm
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Was a inventory ever taken of the Common Good Assets and a list published?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Feb 2011, 08:52am
Post #64

Administrator
Group Icon
TeeHeeHee, I don't know if a full list of Commom Good assets has ever been taken (as this information may be privy to certain parties), however, I am quite sure that one has never been published. As many people before me have reflected, including Dr Mason above, the lack of a full list pre-transfer to Culture and Sport Glasgow (now Glasgow Life) leaves the quango/aleo in a vulnerable position, completely unable to deny – with certainty – that artefect losses (such as the tram) did not occur while they were 'guardians'.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 11th Feb 2011, 11:35pm
Post #65

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
A wance loast a grand piana like that.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 12th Feb 2011, 09:28am
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I heard the polis were on the case of the missing tram and following two lines of enquiry rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
GG
post 12th Feb 2011, 10:55am
Post #67

Administrator
Group Icon
A list of common good assests is available on the council website. It looks a wee bit light at only 13 assets, especially as the council is legally obliged to keep a full list, but here it is:
  1. Range of Shops, 53-67 Byres Road
  2. Range of Shops, 4-6 Dowanhill St
  3. Range of Shops, 174-182 Dumbarton Road
  4. Range of Shops, 407-439 Gt Western Road
  5. Range of Shops, 33-37 Riverford Road
  6. Range of Shops, 254-290 Sauchiehall St
  7. Citizens Theatre, 119a-123 Gorbals St
  8. Bowling Green, 1240-1284 Dumbarton Road
  9. Nithsdale Hall, 41-43 Nithsdale Dr
  10. Humbie Farm (Farm Grazing Land adjacent to Newton Mearns)
  11. Vacant Land, 234 London Road
  12. Vacant Land, 120 Woodville St
  13. Pollok Country Park
Apparently the other common good assests – parks, buildings, works of art, lost trams, etc. – are not listed because the council deems them to be "operational assets"! This operational status is a handy application for the council as it keeps the income from the thousands of other common good assets out of the Common Good Fund (but that's another story).

As for ownership of the assets, which the two councillors listed above claimed belonged to the council, the common good assets belong categorically to the citizens of Glasgow. In fact, a Dr Neil of Selkirk responded specifically to Dr Mason of the Lib Dems after he wrote to The Herald newspaper:

I wish to correct Councillor Christopher Mason's belief that the ownership of Glasgow's common good assets, which have been the subject of much recent correspondence, "stays with the council". Sadly, he misleads himself, and probably others, by so stating. The basic point is that common good assets belong to the inhabitants of the city, town or burgh to whom they were granted, endowed or bequeathed, and not to a local authority council. Scots law is perfectly clear on that.

Elected councillors, as trustees of Common Good Funds, have a duty to protect these assets on behalf of the community, a trusteeship that enjoys a higher legal status and obligation than their other council duties.

It is therefore sad that in Glasgow, as elsewhere, the management of Common Good Funds is so beset by ignorance and confusion as to what the duties of trustees to Common Good Funds are to these assets and to the community at large. It seems to be up to the ordinary voting public to try to protect their fellow citizens' rights in this area when their elected and paid representatives are unable to grasp even the basic concepts of what the trusteeship involves.

The implication, of course: if someome did steal the missing tram, then they stole it from the people of Glasgow and not from the council or from Glasgow Life.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Drew
post 12th Feb 2011, 02:47pm
Post #68

Resident
Member No.: 6,118
Its all a bit dark this common good thing. Andy Wightman shed some light on it a little while back but I dont know what became of his report. Local Authorities are charged with managing the fund and as far as I am aware, trustees are elected members. Elected members also have responsibilities in managing the Local Authority general fund and this is where the lights go out. There should be no cross funding of Council business from the CGF but there are ways to get around this and I think Councils do increasingly see these funds as an extra reserve. In a fair world the trustees would have a good distance between their activities and those of the Council.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 13th Feb 2011, 02:47pm
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
QUOTE (ashfield @ 12th Feb 2011, 10:06am) *
I heard the polis were on the case of the missing tram and following two lines of enquiry rolleyes.gif

True, but in last nights paper they said they had been led up a close and had decided to terminate as they could go no further.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 13th Feb 2011, 06:08pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Rab @ 13th Feb 2011, 03:25pm) *
True, but in last nights paper they said they had been led up a close and had decided to terminate as they could go no further.

Aye Rab I heard that, they say they just lost track. They still had some points to follow up on to, shame rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 14th Feb 2011, 05:11pm
Post #71

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 13th Feb 2011, 06:46pm) *
Aye Rab I heard that, they say they just lost track. They still had some points to follow up on to, shame rolleyes.gif

My old friend Det.Superintendent E.R.L. Fitzpayne who has taken over the case, informs me (confidentially) by cable, that they now have a 'sleeper' in the Museum who has given them some new lines to follow. At this junction, he hopes this may generate some enthusiasm in his squad and give them the drive to conduct their enquiries by a safe route without further derailments.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 14th Feb 2011, 07:22pm
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Rab @ 14th Feb 2011, 05:49pm) *
My old friend Det.Superintendent E.R.L. Fitzpayne who has taken over the case, informs me (confidentially) by cable, that they now have a 'sleeper' in the Museum who has given them some new lines to follow. At this junction, he hopes this may generate some enthusiasm in his squad and give them the drive to conduct their enquiries by a safe route without further derailments.

Well thank goodness for that Rab, If they ever catch the culprits, I hope they at least punch their tickets but caurporal punishment would be better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 14th Feb 2011, 10:06pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 14th Feb 2011, 08:00pm) *
Well thank goodness for that Rab, If they ever catch the culprits, I hope they at least punch their tickets but caurporal punishment would be better.

I agree! A good clippie round the lug is whats needed. wink.gif

+Quote Post
benny
post 14th Feb 2011, 10:19pm
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Could they no jist drap Fitzpayne an get Inspector Blakie oan the case? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
johnamato
post 15th Feb 2011, 09:13pm
Post #75

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,368
the stuffs probarlay lying in some council yard somewhere or a basement in the trongate and the person who put them there is dead

This post has been edited by johnamato: 15th Feb 2011, 09:15pm

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.