Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1362 Pages V  « < 1360 1361 1362  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
john.mcn
post 22nd Aug 2017, 06:26pm
Post #20416

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd Aug 2017, 10:37am) *
Finally, took you long enough, and the UK treasury benefits handsomely from the Scottish food and drinks industry.

Eh? You are all over the place on this, first it was implying the exports poured cash into the Westminsters coffers, when i point out that exports dont have tax on them you about turn, agree with me and then say you were talking about the Salmon being called British. Now when I post the headline from your link you again about turn and say the Treasury benefits from Scottish food/drink industry, make yer mind up. If you actually read or understood what i write you would see that I already said that alcohol generates massive taxes for the UK treasury 2 days ago, those are for sales within the UK. If Scotland was independent then those same sales, bar those in Scotland, would still go to the UK treasury and not Holyrood. Surely you acknowledge this and you aren't one of those idiots who think Whisky is nationalised and that taxes and duty from exports would still go towards an Indy Scotland.
The list you produced don't have the prefix "British" worldwide, Scotch whisky and salmon do, trust you to encourage the dilution of anything Scottish.

Really, so whisky is labeled 'British' abroad is it, no one asks for Scotch, strange one that as I've had loads of people online from abroad ask my opinion on 'British whisky' when they hear I'm Scottish, they never seem to ask those with the other home countries flag as a location rolleyes.gif

Are you really suggesting that prestige cars like Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar and the Mini or Land rover are not marketed or play up to being 'British'? Those are all made in England, are you or the ES.N.P going to petition Parliament to have them relabeled English to satisfy your own petty wee objections to the word 'British', after all they are diluting their 'Englishness' and we cant have you being called a hypocrite (again)

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 22nd Aug 2017, 07:14pm
Post #20417

Mega City Key Holder

Story from The Herald

Wings Over Scotland author arrested after woman alleges harassment

THE controversial pro-independence blogger Stuart Campbell has been arrested by police after a woman alleged she was the victim of a two-year campaign of online harassment.

Mr Campbell, 49, who runs the Wings Over Scotland website, was arrested last Friday at an address in the Avon and Somerset area and bailed pending further enquiries.

The police said the arrest was “on suspicion of harassment and malicious communications”.

It followed a complaint from a woman in her 30s who attended a south London police station.

On the day of his arrest, Mr Campbell tweeted: “For sucky reasons totally outwith my control (don't ask), posts on Wings will be very sparse for an unknown period. Sorry, folks.”

Mr Campbell, who was born in Stirling but has lived in Bath since 1991, was the most prominent online campaigner for a Yes vote in the independence referendum.

An IT-savvy provocateur, he raised tens of thousands of pounds through crowdfunding appeals, commissioned opinion polls, and ran adverts on the Glasgow underground.

He also printed thousands of copies of the Wee Blue Book, which claimed to present “the facts the papers leave out” about independence.

He ultimately spent almost 70,000 as an officially registered campaigner for a Yes vote.

His Wings Over Scotland website continues to dissect stories in the media.

However the former computer games reviewer, whose social media posts are often filled with expletives, is seen by critics as a figurehead for the so-called Cybernats, inspiring the most obnoxious elements of the Yes movement to harass Unionists online.

He is also notorious for his previous comments about the Hillsborough football disaster, blaming Liverpool fans for the 1989 crush which killed 96 people.

In 2012, he said “every single solitary person who died at Hillsborough was killed by Liverpool fans”, adding: “If nobody pushes, nobody dies.”

Last year, the official inquiry into the disaster concluded the 96 had been “unlawfully killed” following negligence by police officers at the stadium.

Mr Campbell is currently suing the Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale for 25,000 in a defamation action after she accused him of homophobia - a charge he strongly rejects.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “On 18 August a man aged in his 40s was arrested at an address in the Avon and Somerset area on suspicion of harassment and malicious communications.

“He has been bailed pending further enquiries to a date in mid-September. Enquiries continue.”

Mr Campbell has been asked for comment.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd Aug 2017, 09:06pm
Post #20418

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 22nd Aug 2017, 07:26pm) *
Eh? You are all over the place on this, first it was implying the exports poured cash into the Westminsters coffers, when i point out that exports dont have tax on them you about turn, agree with me and then say you were talking about the Salmon being called British. Now when I post the headline from your link you again about turn and say the Treasury benefits from Scottish food/drink industry, make yer mind up.

When you're in a hole stop digging John. yes.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd Aug 2017, 09:17pm
Post #20419

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 22nd Aug 2017, 08:14pm) *
Story from The Herald

I'm sure there is a point you're trying to make here, or could it be a story to hide the fact Colonel Ruth's party has reinstating two bigoted racist councillors to their fold and isn't available for comment.

Maybe off washing her tank. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 22nd Aug 2017, 09:56pm
Post #20420

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd Aug 2017, 09:06pm) *
When you're in a hole stop digging John. yes.gif

You really are in a wee world of your own, it is you who tried to link exports to loads of cash going to the UK treasury, you backtracked to then claim you posted the story about exports simply to point out they are called British exports, you about turned and said they make the UK treasury loads of money 2 days after I already said it did. You then claim that those in the top ten I posted (not including food/drink) weren't called British totally ignoring that the cars I posted were some of the most recognisable names on the planet and associated with being British, no doubt to you they are English or does that wee chip only apply to products from Scotland being called British..
The only digging here is from yourself Jagz

Ohh and by the way Scotch Whiskey being such a success had absolutely nothing to do with the massive global corporations who own most of the Distilleries.

QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd Aug 2017, 09:17pm) *
I'm sure there is a point you're trying to make here, or could it be a story to hide the fact Colonel Ruth's party has reinstating two bigoted racist councillors to their fold and isn't available for comment.

Maybe off washing her tank. unsure.gif

LOL, what point are you trying to make, I simply posted a story from the Herald, is that not on your bookmarks anymore, how about the BBC or are you protesting against that today?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...litics-41009988

The story, despite your attempts at diversion (as per usual) was reported because the person in it was arrested. That he attracts the attention of the press is because thats what he does, from his suing Kezia Dugdale to claims of being more read than some news media sites (obviously yoon sites). I made no comment on the article other than where it was published yet unsurprisingly you felt the need to imply some ulterior motive because thats what your wee mind mind tells you.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Y'day, 10:33am
Post #20421

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 22nd Aug 2017, 10:56pm) *
Ohh and by the way Scotch Whiskey being such a success had absolutely nothing to do with the massive global corporations who own most of the Distilleries.

LOL, what point are you trying to make, I simply posted a story from the Herald, is that not on your bookmarks anymore, how about the BBC or are you protesting against that today?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...litics-41009988

The story, despite your attempts at diversion (as per usual) was reported because the person in it was arrested.

Tis' you that lives in your own wee World where you're always right and everyone else is wrong, in the real World i inhabit it's Scotch Whisky (no E) and if you're trying to make a point about foreign ownership perhaps you should check who owns most of those "British" car manufacturers you posted.

Why post the Herald story on the independence thread?

You could have started a new thread, and i thought after the Michelle Thompson non story you'd wait until the law had ran it's course before trying anymore smears.

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post Y'day, 11:01am
Post #20422

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Thompson bought houses for less than they were worth from poorly advised people, its not illegal
but is that really the kind of person you want in your party?

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Y'day, 05:56pm
Post #20423

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 23rd Aug 2017, 12:01pm) *
Thompson bought houses for less than they were worth from poorly advised people, its not illegal
but is that really the kind of person you want in your party?

She offered a price and people accepted and sold their property, like you said it's not illegal, and are there no business people in the three main Britnat parties who have bought and sold properties making a profit?

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post Y'day, 06:01pm
Post #20424

Mega City Key Holder
I'm sure John will be along in a moment with the doom and gloom latest GERS figures. unsure.gif

We're all doomed you know. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post Y'day, 06:36pm
Post #20425

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 23rd Aug 2017, 10:33am) *
Tis' you that lives in your own wee World where you're always right and everyone else is wrong, in the real World i inhabit it's Scotch Whisky (no E) and if you're trying to make a point about foreign ownership perhaps you should check who owns most of those "British" car manufacturers you posted.

biggrin.gif As i typed that I imagined you choking on your haggis supper or spitting out your malt and Irn Bru, I just knew you'd pick up on it and be raging laugh.gif
Everybody has an opinion Jagz, some of ours are backed up by published facts whereas others just pull them out of the air and ignore requests of proof all the while saying the facts are wrong.
You know like the GERS figures released today, a few years ago you were hyping them, now that they show we spend far more than we raise they are all made up and lies, this is despite the figures being compiled by the SNP Scottish government. Good news though, the difference between money spent and raised has dropped to just 13.3 billion
Why post the Herald story on the independence thread?

Why not, is this thread now reserved for good Scotland links posted by yourself, are we to endure info from some unknown source about trains times that have nothing to do with any referendum or Independence.
To some people here who still read this thread, the person arrested hosts probably the most infamous and influential pro Independence site outside of Scotland. He officially campaigned in the referendum and was registered by the electoral commission. His arrest is NEWS and is being reported in all the main media hubs.

You could have started a new thread, and i thought after the Michelle Thompson non story you'd wait until the law had ran it's course before trying anymore smears.

I didn't think Thompson broke the law, I didn't even think that in the role of a business person she did any wrong, they are there to make profit and that is always going to be at the cost of a seller. She did nothing different to any person not relying on the state for a home, we go in lower than the asking price and negotiate a price both of us are happy with. As an MP though, that kind of business is not on for a public servant and she came across as filling her pockets at the expense of people much like the ones she represented, she should never been chosen for the seat but it was obviously a reward (like a knighthood) for services rendered during the Indy campaign. In saying all that she was treated very badly by the SNP and Sturgeon, you should direct your 'advice' about waiting for the law to run its course to them.
I think you will find I am not smearing the accused in that article so your 'anymore' is just your usual BS spit oot the dummy because it's not all rosy in your garden at the moment. You do not get to decide what is 'news' nor do you get to decide what anyone else posts. I'm sure most here would rather threads do not get started when the content can be posted in a current thread.
Any word on Natalie McGarry?

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post Y'day, 06:55pm
Post #20426

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 23rd Aug 2017, 06:01pm) *
I'm sure John will be along in a moment with the doom and gloom latest GERS figures. unsure.gif

We're all doomed you know. laugh.gif

They are what they are Jagz, it is good that the SNP accept them(they did compile them after all) and maybe if they get their act together, rein in unnecessary spending and stop blaming others for cuts they themselves would have to carry out then they might gain some voters back, while they continue to cater to angry nats they will alienate those who can actually think for themselves.
The doom and gloom is for the SNP, they will lose the support of the population unless they can come up with some sound financial plans other than 'just blame westminster/Brexit'.

Whatever happened to that revelation a few weeks ago about 'hidden oil', the way some people were going on it would have solved all the SNPs woes, it seems it came to nothing and those SNP MPs tweeting about just look all the more foolish for doing so.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post Y'day, 07:57pm
Post #20427

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 23rd Aug 2017, 10:33am) *
if you're trying to make a point about foreign ownership perhaps you should check who owns most of those "British" car manufacturers you posted.

I missed this. I already knew that most car Manufacturing is in the hands of foreign ownership. This does not make the brands any less 'British' in the eyes of the worlds public, they were bought due to brand recognition and association with the UK.
I did not say anything about foreign ownership, I called them 'massive global corporations ', by that I mean they have a presence in markets all across the world and can use that influence to place Whiskey in them and market it to the public. Are you that naive that you think there's a massive demand out of thin air.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post Y'day, 08:26pm
Post #20428

Mega City Key Holder
Something else for a certain person to greet about laugh.gif

Trump's golf hotel given 110,000 Scottish tax rebate

Donald Trump’s luxury hotel in Turnberry has been handed a 110,000 tax rebate by Scottish ministers as part of an emergency bailout intended to help struggling small businesses.

Figures reveal that the Trump Turnberry hotel on the coast of Ayrshire, where suites cost up to 815 a night, had its property tax cut by 109,530 as a result of the measure. That led to a 13.5% reduction in its normal annual business rates bill of 811,850.

The Scottish rebate was announced in February after hoteliers and restaurant owners complained about a rise in property taxes of up to 400% that came into force this year. The complaints were most intense in north-east Scotland, a region hit hard by a slump in oil prices.

Only available to firms in the hospitality sector, the rebate was put into effect Scotland-wide, and included companies making profits or those unaffected by the economic downturn.

The US president boasted earlier this year that Turnberry and its championship golf courses were doing “unbelievably” well because the value of sterling had fallen since the Brexit vote in June 2016.

The resort’s general manager, Ralph Porciani, told the Guardian in January he was expecting bumper profits for 2016 and 2017, with revenues likely to be up to 20% higher than the 16m Turnberry earned in 2007. Turnberry increased its golf club membership fees by 38%, to 2,500 a year, after its courses were upgraded.

“From the business we have on the books so far, the pace is telling me the Trump Turnberry will have its best year of revenue in 100 years,” Porciani said. Previously the resort had been closed for refurbishment.

Opposition MSPs and councillors said the figures revealing Trump’s windfall, obtained by the Guardian in conjunction with the Ferret website, highlighted the unfairness of the property tax system, which took no account of a business’s profitability. The rebate was not introduced to help companies that were healthy and unaffected by the downturn, they said.

Patrick Harvie, the Scottish Green party leader, said: “Trump’s brand is toxic. It’s bad enough that he has a business presence in Scotland. It’s galling to learn that the public purse is giving him a helping hand.”

Lewis Macdonald, a Labour MSP for north-east Scotland who campaigned for emergency help after the region’s economy was hit by the slump in oil prices, said: “The Turnberry case highlights the unfairness of the current system and the urgent need for reform.”

Even though the rebellion by businesses over the scale of the rates rise was at its greatest in Aberdeenshire, Trump’s other golf resort in Scotland, north of Aberdeen, has not benefited from the rebate. Despite its 19-room boutique hotel and clubhouse restaurant, the Trump International Golf Course Scotland did not qualify because it is classed as a golf course.

Martin Ford, the councillor whose casting vote in 2008 against Trump’s original golf resort plans in Aberdeenshire forced ministers to intervene to force them through, said he believed the Turnberry resort should not have benefited.

“All policy changes have unintended consequences, and this is a bad one for the Scottish government,” Ford said. “Absolutely no one would think that the best use of nearly 110,000 of public money is to use it to enhance Mr Trump’s bank balance. He clearly doesn’t need it.”

The latest accounts for Golf Recreation Scotland, Trump’s holding company that owns the Turnberry resort, show the Trump Organization paid no other business taxes for Turnberry. It employs about 340 people but its accounting losses meant it did not have to pay the 1.7m in corporation tax for which it was liable. Trump remains the sole shareholder for Turnberry, although day to day management has passed to his son Donald Trump Jr and legal adviser Allen Weisselberg.

The Scottish government did not respond to criticisms of the Trump rebate and would not comment on whether the rates system would be reformed to prevent large and profitable firms such as Trump Turnberry from benefiting.

“Our hospitality rates relief is available to 8,500 businesses and 100,000 small business properties – half of all properties – pay no rates at all. It is for businesses to apply for rates relief and for councils to ensure those which do are eligible,” a Scottish government spokesman said.

“The Barclay review, published today, provides recommendations for further reforming the system including around golf courses, and ministers will respond to the report swiftly.”

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post

1362 Pages V  « < 1360 1361 1362
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.