Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Kids Dying For A Munchy Box, City Council acts to protect children's diets
GG
post 28th Sep 2008, 04:41pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Once it was the now-legendary deep-fried Mars Bar supper which was the source of nightmares for parents sending their kids off to school with money to buy their lunch, but now a new demon delicacy is sending heart-rates pounding, and it may not just be the parents!
Attached Image

The dreaded Munchy Box - fast becoming the fast food of choice for city kids.

The Scotland on Sunday newspaper today revealed how the Munchy Box, a pizza box loaded with at least 2200 calories of junk food, has emerged as the latest lunchtime treat for Glasgow schoolchildren. The stuffed boxes sell for up to 5, and can contain up to 150 grams of artery-damaging fat in the form of Donner kebab meat, chips, cheese, pakora and - occasionally a small portion of salad.

Glasgow City Council officials have recently become so concerned at the potential damage being done to Glasgow schoolchildren's health by Munchy Boxes that they are considering launching a drive to get fast-food sellers to desist from pushing the boxes as pupils' lunchtime favourites.

Highlighting the scale of the problem, one official said:
"It is my understanding this is not an uncommon lunch for some kids."

Council officials are also worried about how Glasgow's current status as a "junk food city" sits with its preparations for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in the east end of the city, where the problem is believed to be the worse.

Although Munchy Boxes have been around for a few years they have normally been restricted to evening meals for adults, but the apparent marketing of the stuffed boxes as midday 'snacks' for children has forced the council to take action.

Gary Walker, who leads Glasgow City Council's Scientific Services added:
"It's safe to say it's not a particularly healthy lunch. You would be talking about 10 grams of salt here alone. You are eating something that is heavy in fat and heavy in saturated fat."

Walker went on to make it clear that authorities - including, if necessary, trading standards' officials and police - would not sit by and watch Munchy Boxes become kids' lunchtime staple diet.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 28th Sep 2008, 08:02pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Is that box for one child? The portion looks enormous.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Elma
post 28th Sep 2008, 08:09pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
It doesn't even look very appetizing - and it costs 5 pounds!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 28th Sep 2008, 08:35pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
It looks disgusting.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
MissT
post 28th Sep 2008, 08:44pm
Post #5

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,318
This article appeared in our local newspaper on the 11th September regarding food for children's school lunch.

"Parent anger over lunchbox police Article from: MICHAEL OWEN, POLITICAL REPORTER
September 11, 2008 12:30am
RULES on junk food in schools will be sent to all principals this week amid parent anger over teachers inspecting children's lunchboxes and confiscating items viewed as unhealthy.

Education Department chief executive Chris Robinson told The Advertiser last night guidelines would be reissued to all state schools and preschools.
This follows reports yesterday of several schools ordering teachers to search children's lunchboxes for "inappropriate" food.

In some cases, confiscated items were not replaced, leaving children to go hungry.

Mr Robinson said the department's ban on junk food under the Right Bite strategy launched last year by Health Minister John Hill and Education Minister Jane Lomax-Smith, applied only to food and drinks sold in school canteens and vending machines. Birthday cakes and food or drinks from home are not covered by the ban.

But according to a February 27 memo sent to principals and preschool directors by department deputy chief executive Jan Andrews, each school has discretion to ignore those instructions.

"It is up to each school and preschool community and their governing council to decide how to use the guidelines to encourage healthier eating beyond the requirement that bans junk food in school canteens and vending machines," the memo said.

Opposition education spokesman David Pisoni said schools were confused by the "mixed message".

"Parents are rightly angry - it should be about education and not confiscation, and kids should not go hungry because food is taken from lunchboxes," he said.

Mr Robinson, speaking yesterday on radio FIVEaa, said: "Teachers don't have any role in going through children's lunchboxes, that's entirely a matter for parents and the healthy eating guidelines don't cover (them)."

But Seaview Downs mother Cassandra Liebeknecht told The Advertiser that staff at her son's preschool had, over time, confiscated a small packet of potato chips and fruit bars.

"Where do you draw the line? Is white bread with jam on it healthy," she asked.

Child psychologist Dr Michael Carr-Gregg said: "This is an abuse of power.

"No school teacher has the right to go into a child's lunchbox and arbitrarily deem some food acceptable and some not. It is a blatant interference in the rights of parents and has to stop now."

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 29th Sep 2008, 04:44am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
I don't know what the half of it is , it looks disgusting unsure.gif

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 29th Sep 2008, 09:16am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Mum and Dad both worked so we had school lunches. Some tasted good and some not so good but they were wholesome meals aimed at providing energy for growing kids !

It was the late 1950's and the Housing schemes of Drumchapel etc were still being developed but the kids were generally healthy and active. That picture of the 'Munchy Box' shows just how far we've regressed from that basically poor but healthy society.

I still teach in NSW today but I don't know of any student in my school who could cope with a 'Munchy Box', nor do I know of any parents (and I do teach in quite an affluent area of Newcastle) who would be willing to fork out twenty-five quid a week to feed their kid at school.

How gross !

Tombro sad.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 29th Sep 2008, 08:25pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
That looks as if it came from a kebab shop but that would cost 11poonds in england and the stuff at the back is lamb compresses from breast of lamb as a watched them make it in the kebab shop when a used to go in on a friday night with my ex partner years ago and the chicken at left side way aww that dye in it bolk heartattak city it should be calld no a munchy box rolleyes.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Heather
post 29th Sep 2008, 08:50pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Do they actually put as much as that in the Lunch Box???

I couldn't eat all that in one day never mind just for lunch.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
aggie
post 4th Oct 2008, 05:26pm
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 6,054
is that the last supper

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Oct 2008, 10:53am
Post #11

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Found an interesting, but worrying, article related to this from a catering trade magazine published in July this year that said:
Glasgow’s school children are being “driven away in droves” by healthy school meals, the head of the city’s catering has warned.

Fergus Chambers, executive director at Direct and Care Services, Glasgow City Council, told delegates at last week’s Local Authority Caterers Association that school caterers were losing out to local shops and takeaways.

Although Glasgow’s uptake is 50% at secondary level – high compared to England - it has dropped considerably since healthy meal options were made mandatory under the Hungry for Success initiative in 2006, a decline mirrored across Scotland.

And the problem could get worse, Chambers warned, pointing to the nutrient based standards for food set to come into force at Scotland’s secondary schools next September.

They are arguably more stringent than England’s with items such as chocolate (including cooking chocolate) Diet Coke, flavoured water and orange juice larger than 200ml outlawed.

“I guarantee uptake will continue to plummet if we go ahead with the nutritional standards as they are,” Chambers said. “We are facing the law of unintended consequences and fewer children eating school meals can’t be anyone’s objective.”

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 9th Oct 2008, 02:58pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
QUOTE (penny dainty @ 29th Sep 2008, 05:48am) *
I don't know what the half of it is , it looks disgusting unsure.gif

No offence intended to anyone who has eatin lunches or snacks like that if thats what you want to call it, and I'm talking more about what's? in the box?. unsure.gif
I agree with you PennyD, honestly and its only my opinion and pardon the pun, but talk about done up like a dog's dinner.
My dogs would love to feed them that. Im shocked, what happen'd to a lovely sandwich with meat and salad.
I also feel for certain parents who dont seem to have the time, therefore cant know what the kids buy with the money they give them.
Thank goodness it may have been brought to their (parents) attention.

Ps I just typed in Pakora in a search on Google and click on the Wikipedia version, very interesting to say the least and it puts Scotland on the adversary map, hmmm.

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
fourbytwo
post 9th Oct 2008, 03:57pm
Post #13

Resident
Member No.: 665
Strange days indeed, my lunch box consisted of bottle of Tizer, 2 MB bars, 1/4 of soor plooms, and of course 5 Nelson...
changed ways now....don't smoke, Tizer nowhere near as good, MB bars are rubbish now, and soor plooms would give you lockjaw.....

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 10th Oct 2008, 02:51am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
QUOTE (ToriG @ 9th Oct 2008, 04:02pm) *
it puts Scotland on the adversary map, hmmm.

Should be more apt'ly put as...Unfavorable impression

Just thought I'd better omit that word I've scored above, as it was a typing mistake, and realised not a very nice word I should have used, my apologie's to those whom became offended by it.

Once again my apologies, ah'l gie masel a skelp noo...ouch!!!

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 15th Dec 2008, 03:56am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
What a dreadful mishmash of what appears to me to be muck with food colouring, OMG I would be afraid for my childs health if they had the munchbox available to them when Iam not around.Save our kids from horror food such as this! sad.gif mad.gif By the way Iam not the healthyest eater here but that munchbox looks deadly!

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.