Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvinside Avenue
Rabbie
post 19th Jan 2012, 12:48am
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 18th Jan 2012, 10:48pm) *
I was amazed to see the lady and her child in the aerial shot. rolleyes.gif

Are ye sure it wasnea Princess Di, some mumbo jumbo merchant thought they saw her in a some stained glass windea in a Church or something.

In Fig. 1, I have circled in purple the approx area from where i feel Image 1 could have been taken and labeled a few reference points.

Fig. 1

Attached Image

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 19th Jan 2012, 08:08am
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
A well thought out plot Rabbie!

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 19th Jan 2012, 08:17am
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Rabbie,as a matter of interest do you/did you know Kelvinside Avenue as it was before all the demo work?
Joop.

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 19th Jan 2012, 10:05am
Post #49

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,297
Well Done Rabbie Looks Like You Are The Right Person For Working Out The Angles..Is This Now Case Closed ???.?Or Are We All Awaiting On Standby For The Next One.

Jupiter. That Would Be Amazing If We Could Have Seen Two Shadowy Figures In The Aerial Shot That Would Have Had Everyone Talking..

Martin...

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 19th Jan 2012, 10:12am
Post #50

Visitor
Member No.: 7,413
Are you sure it's the same lady Jupiter? The only one I can see hasn't got a headscarf on and is walking UP the hill! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 19th Jan 2012, 10:36am
Post #51

Visitor
Member No.: 7,413
I think we are now going round in circles. I am impressed with your research Rabbie but cannot from my personal knowledge of the Avenue and having lived there for a long time, agree with your conclusions. I have said over and over again there were NO SHOPS on the left hand side of the Avenue going up the hill towards Maryhill Road. All the shops were on the same side as NK School.

Thank you all for your interest and contributions. I won't bother you further unless something turns up which solves the problem.

I wonder where the lady with the bairn lives? She would know.

Steeplejack

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 19th Jan 2012, 12:17pm
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
@_Joop.
My Auntie Jeanie stayed not a kick in the erse away in Raeberry Mer Auntie Dolly was in Shannon Street and G Gran Da was over in Abington Street. When visiting them, which was often, I would to go for long walks all around Maryhill, Ruchill and Kelvinside areas. However, I have to confess that I don't really recall Kelvinside Avenue for any special reason, I dare say at some time I may have strolled up or down it.

In this instance, I am not working from any particular memory, just the info from piccies and maps, there is a wealth of info on these if ye scrap below the surface.

@_Steeplejack.
I understand where you are coming from, I have been there meself a few times, pulling me remain hair oot! The only other explanantion O can offer for this disparity is that the image has been altered in some form or other. However, you have to ask yourself, why would anyone do this and for what reason?

I for one never take anything from the internet as 100% Gospel without corroboration and would encourage everyone to do the same as there is a skipsload of tesco value mince around.
I prefer the old fashioned method, the good old library thumbing through the dusty tomes, cannea beat that at awe. The atmosphere is conducive to research and study, no tae mention a fly wee nip on the way hame. wink.gif

When time permits, which ain't as often as I would like, I do a bit of digging around in the past in Glasgow, particularly in the districts of Townhead, Dennistoun, Garndad and Bridgeton. Both sides of my family have deep roots in these areas going way back to when they were built to accomodate the booming industies that sprung up during the 1800's.

I have a special interest in Toonhied as there is practicallylittle trace of where I used to lived, more alarmingly there are now 2 generations that have no idea that many of the streets many fowks roamed as a weans ever existed.

Sadly, they are under the environs of the M8, "New" Royal Infirmary a pile of skyscrapers and rows of maisonettes. I would love to be able to see piccies of the wealth of wee shops that populated Tooneheid and the defunct part of Alexandra Parade.

The existing on online resources are prettyscant, there just has to be a wealth of images hidden in someones loft, garage, garden shed waiting to be uncovered, digitised and added to the information cloud for the orld to share, before the US Congress Nazis try to police the Net... B'stages. the lot of them.

The search continues....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 19th Jan 2012, 12:24pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Cheers Rabbie.Only the toffs pronounce it KELVENSIDE,the rest of us just call it by its real name.My own family also lived at Queens Cross.
rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 19th Jan 2012, 01:10pm
Post #54

Super Visitor
Steeplejack.. Have added A copy of the valuation roll for 1914.On this it shows a few shops between No.9 And No.11 Kelvinside Avenue.The best way is to get a copy of the Valuation And Voters Roll For that Approx Year You Are Looking For. This Would Give you an Exact Location Of Shops And Properties On The Avenue...What number in kelvinside avenue did you stay at.?

Attached Image

Martin..

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 19th Jan 2012, 01:25pm
Post #55

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
martin what a really great information sheet you have just pulled up.

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 19th Jan 2012, 01:34pm
Post #56

Super Visitor
Thanks.Glasgowlass..Have added a link that will take you to the site and if you are looking for a certain street or road just type it in the where box and away you go it's good to see some of the occupations at that time..

Glasgow 1913-1914 Valuation Rolls

Martin..

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 19th Jan 2012, 01:39pm
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Thanks Martin am going to love this one !, once Im back from work rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 19th Jan 2012, 01:55pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
It's a real pita that other years of these valuation rolls have not been made available online, they are a excellent tool for research and help fill the void between census returns.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 19th Jan 2012, 02:17pm
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
If I could add a wee bit and Ill certainly stand corrected.I think that street numbers in Glasgow are in a system where street numbers all emanate from George Square and, for example Great Western Road,Maryhill Road and Garscube Road all have odd numbers on their left hand side and even on the right going away from the city centre.Hopefully this might help in working out whats what in Kelvinside Ave.

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 19th Jan 2012, 03:04pm
Post #60

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
no 12 was on the right hand side going down towards the springpark. Had two classmates lived there, ian mcnicol and james leggat

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.