Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Words, Guess the 3 missing Glasgow Words
sumac
post 16th Oct 2020, 10:37am
Post #16

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
🤣

That’s like my house!

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 16th Oct 2020, 12:08pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (taurus @ 14th Oct 2020, 11:28am) *
the third one is Moshie

I thought moshie was played with coins?

+Quote Post
taurus
post 17th Oct 2020, 12:00am
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
you`re dead right Jagz,haepennies,but somewhere I remembered jorries too,still,it was a boys game,so i`m not up to scratch on it.I only played with the boys when it was rounders,so I just gave their other wee games a scant look.I think I was only allowed in the rounders team to fill up the numbers.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Oct 2020, 08:27am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 17th Oct 2020, 01:00am) *
you`re dead right Jagz,haepennies,but somewhere I remembered jorries too,still,it was a boys game,so i`m not up to scratch on it.I only played with the boys when it was rounders,so I just gave their other wee games a scant look.I think I was only allowed in the rounders team to fill up the numbers.

I never played moshie or jorries either Taurus, and rounders was the only game boys played with girls.

Apart from Kiss, Kick or Torture. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 17th Oct 2020, 09:16am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 17th Oct 2020, 09:27am) *
I never played moshie or jorries either Taurus, and rounders was the only game boys played with girls.

Apart from Kiss, Kick or Torture. laugh.gif

Eh huh.gif We had many unisex games like, hide and seek, kick the can (hide and seek with a tin rolleyes.gif ), tig, filmstars, etc.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
taurus
post 17th Oct 2020, 10:37am
Post #21

City Key Holder
truth or dare,that was naughty,so us nice girls gave that the skip.running up and down stairs chapping doors was too much like hard work as well.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 17th Oct 2020, 01:10pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I always wished (ALMOST ) I was dragged-up in Embra, when I saw all the closes with doors and up to dozen doorbells. Whit fun ! I was sorely tempted, even in my 20s!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
tintin
post 17th Oct 2020, 02:08pm
Post #23

Settling In
Member No.: 48,698
Give it up for the Lassie's they were fantastic playing at two game's the first one had two Lassie's one on each end of a long skipping rope and one at a time whilst singing a song 'My mother told me' all the Lassie's would jump one at a time into the skipping rope until you could sometime have about twenty skipping and singing at the same time looking back it was a fantastic sight. Game number two was Lassie's bouncing two balls at a wall at the same time singing songs and spinning around catching the balls very skillful.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 17th Oct 2020, 03:01pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (tintin @ 17th Oct 2020, 03:08pm) *
Give it up for the Lassie's they were fantastic playing at two game's the first one had two Lassie's one on each end of a long skipping rope and one at a time whilst singing a song 'My mother told me' all the Lassie's would jump one at a time into the skipping rope until you could sometime have about twenty skipping and singing at the same time looking back it was a fantastic sight. Game number two was Lassie's bouncing two balls at a wall at the same time singing songs and spinning around catching the balls very skillful.

Game number two was named ‘Doublers’ by the girls who lived in our tenement. It should have been named Russian Roulette by the girls who lived in our tenement. We lived in Garscube Road which was/is a main road in Glasgow leading to Maryhill.

Owing to the demand for the use of the clothes lines in the back court by their mothers, the girls would play doublers at the front of the building. Trams came hurtling downhill, in addition to the commercial traffic which included fast moving horse drawn carts. Thankfully very few motor cars were on the roads in those days, but the girls somehow avoided serious injury. Some of them would jump on the back of a cart for a hudgie, then jump off when the ball came into view.

On the subject of girls, I can’t remember seeing any photographs of girls getting a hudgie in any of the many historical books or newspaper articles regarding Glasgow schoolchildren. The girls in our tenement did. Okay Taurus, lets hear your hudgie story

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Oct 2020, 05:08pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 17th Oct 2020, 10:16am) *
Eh huh.gif We had many unisex games like, hide and seek, kick the can (hide and seek with a tin rolleyes.gif ), tig, filmstars, etc.

True Ash, though i was thinking about sports with 'rounders', but yes Hide n Seek and Kick the Can were unisex games.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 17th Oct 2020, 09:50pm
Post #26

City Key Holder
no.. hudgies were the realm of the boys,and when I was very young a wee boy in our street went under the wheels and got killed. That`s not a fun game at all.
they called the motor an "iley" ...oiley,as I picture it in my minds eye from eons ago,it was half a truck,the front half,obviously happy.gif ,thats what I remember going down Stevenson St in the Calton and the boys all chasing it.another dangerous thing I saw,was a boy on a bike,grabbing on to a truck for a free ride ,glad to be born a girl,play beds with chalk,doublers,skipping ropes and scraps.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 18th Oct 2020, 07:56am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
While technically not a hudgie, I remember jumping on to a flatbed lorry around Edrom Street and not being able to get off until Parkhead Cross. Of course I had to walk back home but it tought me a lesson !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 18th Oct 2020, 10:19am
Post #28

City Key Holder
boys will be boys !
I only once tried the dyke.the boys around us were experts,they called it the jumps,jumping from one air raid shelter to another,like Tom Cruise does now. so i got up on the washhouse dyke,too scared to get down,a big crowd of kids shouting at me,and out comes my mum,got me down and a good doing when I got home. No,i`ll stay a girl,leave the stunts to the boys. I did love the skates though,jumping the stanks like the boys,carefree young days,nice to remember them.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 18th Oct 2020, 10:25am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 18th Oct 2020, 08:56am) *
While technically not a hudgie, I remember jumping on to a flatbed lorry around Edrom Street and not being able to get off until Parkhead Cross. Of course I had to walk back home but it tought me a lesson !

Could have been worse, he could have been going to London. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
sumac
post 18th Oct 2020, 11:06am
Post #30

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
I posted a reply in Memories - Childhood Games.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.