Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lewis's : Is It The Same One ?, shops
Agnes & Robert
post 1st Dec 2008, 04:03am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
QUOTE (big tommy @ 3rd Sep 2005, 12:33pm) *
wink.gif Yesterday I took my youngest grand-daughter Mary-Jane, aged 10 into town (Glasgow) .Or should I say , she took me ?

We went into the Buchanan Galleries ,where the main shop is Lewis's . But not as we knew it .

Now ,it is a massive shopping mall with so many shops you could spend all day and all your money in it .
There must be 200 shops there and plenty of returaunts .

Our objective was 'The Bear Factory . I was fascinated to discover that Mary-Jane picked her bear ,took it to a sales assistant to be stuffed by a machine and then sowed up by another girl .

At the check- out , Mary-Jane was given the bears birth Certificate . A genuine certificate with the bears name and place of birth ,She called it Chloe ,by the way

I was totally fascinated by the whole procedure .Mary-Jane named the bear and the bears birthplace and time . How much it weighed ,if it was male or female . Then was handed typewritten birth certificate

A passport in case she took it abroad and a few sets of clothes . All in all ,she stung me for about 20.00 ,but I didnt mind .

Then into Lewis's .

The layout of the old store in Argylle Street is maintained ,but not on such a large scale .

Who remembers the Zoo on the top floor ?

The resturaunt was the best thing about it ,It catered for all tastes .Among them my favourite :- The Creperie.

A good day for both of us .Do you know ? She held my hand all round the Mall , in case I got lost she says .

She hasn't done that for a few years .

Tommy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 1st Dec 2008, 04:15am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
I think that the zoo was on the 3rd. or 4th. floor Santa Claus used to always be on one of these floors I remember (from I think it was Miller St.or Dunlop St.) standingin the queue all the way up to see Santa The restaurant was on the top floor it was called The Oak Room, the also had a small band who played music, I felt lik a real toff, yes in those days you had Lewis's then you Woolworth's & Marks & Spencer's across the road, when crossing over watch out for the tramcaurs

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 1st Dec 2008, 04:21am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (big tommy @ 3rd Sep 2005, 12:33pm) *
wink.gif Yesterday I took my youngest grand-daughter Mary-Jane, aged 10 into town (Glasgow) .Or should I say , she took me ?

We went into the Buchanan Galleries ,where the main shop is Lewis's . But not as we knew it .

Now ,it is a massive shopping mall with so many shops you could spend all day and all your money in it .
There must be 200 shops there and plenty of returaunts .

Our objective was 'The Bear Factory . I was fascinated to discover that Mary-Jane picked her bear ,took it to a sales assistant to be stuffed by a machine and then sowed up by another girl .

At the check- out , Mary-Jane was given the bears birth Certificate . A genuine certificate with the bears name and place of birth ,She called it Chloe ,by the way

I was totally fascinated by the whole procedure .Mary-Jane named the bear and the bears birthplace and time . How much it weighed ,if it was male or female . Then was handed typewritten birth certificate

A passport in case she took it abroad and a few sets of clothes . All in all ,she stung me for about 20.00 ,but I didnt mind .

Then into Lewis's .

The layout of the old store in Argylle Street is maintained ,but not on such a large scale .

Who remembers the Zoo on the top floor ?

The resturaunt was the best thing about it ,It catered for all tastes .Among them my favourite :- The Creperie.

A good day for both of us .Do you know ? She held my hand all round the Mall , in case I got lost she says .

She hasn't done that for a few years .

Tommy

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 1st Dec 2008, 04:26am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
To Jane, yes Jane I remember Sants Claus in Lewis's on the 30s I vaguely remember the chute and we also got a toy, did you know that the one in Lewis's was the real Santa and the one in Dallas's was a distant relation

+Quote Post
Mary Anne
post 3rd Dec 2008, 02:47pm
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,272
Hi there
I worked in Lewis's in Argyle Street Glasgow for some time and the toy department was on the 3rd floor. Lewis's was a different company from John Lewis. Lewiss's Glasgow was the largest department store in the Uk ( perhaps Europe at one time). the phone number was 2219820.

Lewis's boasted seven selling floors and nearly 1400 staff in late seventies and was a fantastic place to work. it had it's own in house bakery and I think 5 places to eat. The building was ruined when Debenhams purchased it.

any one else work there?
Mary Anne

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 3rd Dec 2008, 03:26pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Hi Mary Anne, never worked there but loved the store when a lived there, When I was in Glasgow and in John Lewissi's another nice store with lovely cafe up stairs, we were wondering if it was the original Lewissi's,,,,,,,,now I know the answer biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 3rd Dec 2008, 05:18pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember the fairy grotto in Lewis's at Christmas it was lovely. After walking all through it, you finally came to Santa and got your gift.

The windows were always all decorated with Christmas scenes.

It was a great place to take children at Christmas.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
angel
post 3rd Dec 2008, 05:33pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
I remember the Santa grotto as well Heather, would make a point of going there with my young son at that time, I also enjoyed spending time
in the store but did,nt buy a lot,,,,a bit pricey for me, although I bought my son his winter outfit for comming to Canada and a coat for myself. tongue.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*Steven*
post 5th Jan 2009, 12:05pm
Post #39

Hi,

I've been away from Glasgow for a few years now and just lately had an old thought go through my head. It was the image of a departmewnt store I used to get dragged through when a wee boy. I'm thinking it was Lewis's but I'm not sure. The image I remember was of a big curved staircase at the back of the store. Each floor was L shaped with entrances from both Argyle St and Jamacia St. My later memories of Lewis's had the escalators going up and down right in the middle of the store but were these installed as part of a modernisation in the late 70's or early 80's? Am I thinking of Lewis's before this or am I thinking of a different department store?

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 15th Jan 2009, 05:30pm
Post #40

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
QUOTE (Steven @ 5th Jan 2009, 04:04pm) *
Hi,

I've been away from Glasgow for a few years now and just lately had an old thought go through my head. It was the image of a departmewnt store I used to get dragged through when a wee boy. I'm thinking it was Lewis's but I'm not sure. The image I remember was of a big curved staircase at the back of the store. Each floor was L shaped with entrances from both Argyle St and Jamacia St. My later memories of Lewis's had the escalators going up and down right in the middle of the store but were these installed as part of a modernisation in the late 70's or early 80's? Am I thinking of Lewis's before this or am I thinking of a different department store?

Hi Steven,

The store with entrances in Argyle & Jamaica St (and St Enochs Sq) was Arnotts & Simpsons.

Lewis's in (Argyle st) memory for me as a wee boy was the food floor on the ground floor.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
mamie
post 15th Jan 2009, 05:58pm
Post #41

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,364
I remember my 4th birthdy, that would have been 1943, because of the war years it was not possiable to buy ready made birthday cakes, but my mother and a nieghbour and I went to Lewises to buy the ingredients to make a birthsay cake for me.. I remember the nieghbour was a great baker and she picked all that was needed. The thing I remeber most was the frilly bit that went round the cake. Well my lasting memory was having a party for my 4th birthday and everything that was needed was bought out of Lewis that day. Happy memories

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 15th Jan 2009, 07:22pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
a remember going to see santa in lewis's and a got my picture taken with a fantailed dove sitting on a wooden bench with a tropical back ground does anybody have a pic like that laugh.gif or it might have been another day who knows

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
*willie watterson*
post 8th Dec 2009, 07:14pm
Post #43

QUOTE (stuarty @ 15th Jan 2009, 07:20pm) *
a remember going to see santa in lewis's and a got my picture taken with a fantailed dove sitting on a wooden bench with a tropical back ground does anybody have a pic like that laugh.gif or it might have been another day who knows

+Quote Post
*willie watterson*
post 8th Dec 2009, 07:22pm
Post #44

nobody seems willing to give their age. i'm 59 and have got a photie of me sitting on muffin the mule. i'm probably about six?don't remember the zoo.

+Quote Post
*joe mackay*
post 8th Feb 2010, 06:26pm
Post #45

I worked in Lewis's in the sixties on the fourth floor lino dept. .It was a different co. from John Lewis and was operated on an irational and ultimately fatal non business plan. Never the less when youre young you can always forget the work and enjoy the ambiance until maturity brings the joy s of ausome burdons eternal obligation and terminal adulthood

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.