Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lewis's : Is It The Same One ?, shops
big tommy
post 3rd Sep 2005, 12:25pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
wink.gif Yesterday I took my youngest grand-daughter Mary-Jane, aged 10 into town (Glasgow) .Or should I say , she took me ?

We went into the Buchanan Galleries ,where the main shop is Lewis's . But not as we knew it .

Now ,it is a massive shopping mall with so many shops you could spend all day and all your money in it .
There must be 200 shops there and plenty of returaunts .

Our objective was 'The Bear Factory . I was fascinated to discover that Mary-Jane picked her bear ,took it to a sales assistant to be stuffed by a machine and then sowed up by another girl .

At the check- out , Mary-Jane was given the bears birth Certificate . A genuine certificate with the bears name and place of birth ,She called it Chloe ,by the way

I was totally fascinated by the whole procedure .Mary-Jane named the bear and the bears birthplace and time . How much it weighed ,if it was male or female . Then was handed typewritten birth certificate

A passport in case she took it abroad and a few sets of clothes . All in all ,she stung me for about 20.00 ,but I didnt mind .

Then into Lewis's .

The layout of the old store in Argylle Street is maintained ,but not on such a large scale .

Who remembers the Zoo on the top floor ?

The resturaunt was the best thing about it ,It catered for all tastes .Among them my favourite :- The Creperie.

A good day for both of us .Do you know ? She held my hand all round the Mall , in case I got lost she says .

She hasn't done that for a few years .

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 3rd Sep 2005, 03:16pm
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
QUOTE (big tommy @ 3rd Sep 2005, 02:42 PM)
Then into Lewis's .

The layout of the old store in Argylle Street is maintained ,but not on such a large scale .

Who remembers the Zoo on the top floor ?

The resturaunt was the best thing about it ,It catered for all tastes .Among them my favourite :- The Creperie.

A good day for both of us .Do you know ? She held my hand all round the Mall , in case I got lost she says .

She hasn't done that for a few years .

Tommy

Tommy,my cousins used to work in Lewis`s store in Argyle st. According to what they know,the original Lewis`s had no connection whatsoever with the newer John Lewis group.I am still looking into this .Thinking about it,I am sure that John Lewis would never have agreed to sell such a prime site to a competitor.ie Debenhams. dry.gif

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
tammy
post 3rd Sep 2005, 03:52pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,054
Tommy,

We have those same bear factories here in our malls. They must make millions because tehy are always full! My 13 yr.old daughter even made me one for Christmas as my special present. She loves that store. It's amazing the outfits you can buy and accessories. But, the best part of your story was how your grandaughter held your hand just in case you got lost! Very cute! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
quester
post 3rd Sep 2005, 04:15pm
Post #4

Resident
Member No.: 2,094
Ah big tommy, you are the lucky one. Without minders like your Mary-Jane lots of us old folks would get lost smile.gif

A very touching story, especially to one who never sees his grandbairns. Bet she is like the old Pear's Soap Ad,...."Preparing to be a Beautiful Lady" Anybody else remember it?

--------------------
the urban spaceman = floating on a moonbeam

+Quote Post
tammy
post 3rd Sep 2005, 04:17pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Quester, where are your gran weans?

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 3rd Sep 2005, 04:39pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
John Lewis Partnership is a like cooperative and partly owned by its employees.

There's a story here which refers to the Old Lewis Stores.

[link not working, removed]

Check out its history here

wikipedia

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 3rd Sep 2005, 05:37pm
Post #7

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
John Lewis is my favourite shop. They have been in existance in the south of England for years although for a while they sometimes retained the name of the big department store that they once were before becoming part of the partnership of John Lewis. I am thinking of Peter Jones (London, Finchley Road), Trewin Bros in Watford and many more. They began to expand through England and then there was one opened in Edinburgh before the one in Glasgow.

I have moved from an area where there was a big one and now have a bit of a journey to my nearest. Fortunately though, you can buy online from them. An excellent store with a "never knowingly undersold" motto.

And, of course there is Waitrose, a fantastic food store that also belongs to the group. They accept orders online too but I am not sure that they have reached Scotland yet.

GQ

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 3rd Sep 2005, 07:11pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Questers
Yes i remember Pears soap vey well .In fact I think you can still buy it .I dont know what i would do without my grandweans .My youngest who is nearly 10 is forever looking at herself in a mirror .Like you say. Practising tobe a Real a lady.My other is nearly 19 and now boys are her attraction .and CELTIC !! She works in the Celtic Pools shop and i have never seen a girl so mad about one team .
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 3rd Sep 2005, 08:50pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
Tommy,
That was so lovely to read about your Grandaughter, brought tears to my eyes, you are so blessed,
I am sure it was a well spent 20 pounds,
Enjoy them Tommy they grow up so quickly,
Intersting News about Lewis's was always my favourite Store, especially Christmas time ,they always had such lovey displays in their Windows, i cant just picture it in my minds eye as i type this Cheers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

+Quote Post
steakpie
post 3rd Sep 2005, 08:56pm
Post #10

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,066
Isn't Debenhams now in the spot where Lewis's used to be? Not at all like the old Lewis's in my opinion, very cramped and cluttered.

It's getting to be that one mall is much the same as the next, no real variety. Pity, but I suppose the independents can't compete with the big department stores.

Is Arnott Simpson's still there, or has it turned into another big department store?

By the way, I love the new board format,so clear and easy to follow.

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 4th Sep 2005, 04:42am
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
A John Lewis store opened recently in Smith's hometown of Glasgow, causing local shoppers some confusion because of the existence of an unrelated department store called Lewis'. "John Lewis in Glasgow actually accepted returns of Lewis' items," Smith says. "That kind of thing creates customer loyalty and makes the short-term people come back."

The above passage comes from the link kndly provided by Dexter.to answer somebody elses question about Arnott Simpson,as far asI know they are now defunct.Woolworths occupies the corner above the Pizza shop and the rest is slip up into various individual shop units.

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 4th Sep 2005, 04:13pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Is Arnott Simpson's still there, or has it turned into another big department store?

Being a mere man it is difficult to recall whose changing room you were hinging about waiting to be asked your opinion and then having it ignored but was Arnott Simpson's on the south side of Argyle Street opposite H Samuel and now currently occupied by Gap, Woolworths and a sports clothing shop?

+Quote Post
Melody
post 4th Sep 2005, 04:21pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
That's it Dexter. We miss the granduer of those old stores in town.
That is exactly where it used to be. smile.gif

+Quote Post
tammy
post 4th Sep 2005, 08:19pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Steakpie,

You are right..one mall looks exactly the same as the next. When we were in Glasgow last Summer I was disapointed to see the big mall downtown had the very same shops as we had here in our malls. But, I did like the dept. store Fraser's downtown..it had some very nice things in it. But, I prefer the smaller independent shops better because you can usually find something more original, not see 50 other people wearing the exact same thing! I find mall shopping quite boring now.

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 5th Sep 2005, 08:11am
Post #15

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I remember getting taken to the "restaurant" in Muirheads (Sauchiehall St I think) when I was a child. My aunt was "rich" and would treat us to that regularly.

I also remember another store which was a bit posh but can't remember the name of it as we never went in. My neighbour worked in it (Sauchiehall Street) and she thought she was a cut above the rest because she worked there. I wish I could remember it now, it may have started with a T, not Trewins but maybe something similar. Then again, it might have started with an S. My memory isn't what it was.

I also remember being fascinated by those tube things that took your money away and returned your change and receipt. My memory, as a child, is of waiting, and waiting and waiting.

We used to queue for hours to see Santa at the Grotto in Lewis, up lots of stairs if I remember right. You would pay half a crown and get a wrapped gift. I remember how the wrapping would be torn off before we were out of the store and how disappointed I was one year when I got exactly the same gift as last year. It was a pink plastic sewing kit with bobbins around it and a little lift off dome in the middle with needles, thimble etc. I never knew what the thimble was for anyway.

Nowadays, as has been said, one shopping mall is much the same as another. Mind you, I like that Dunnes store in Sauchiehall St. Similar to Marks and Spencers but much cheaper. It is an Irish company I believe.

GQ

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.