Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Co-operative Stores, shopping
big tommy
post 3rd Sep 2005, 12:09pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
rolleyes.gif Thinking back to the Co-operative brings back so many memories and just how much we depended on it.

The Co-op in Springburn was an Alladin's Cave. It had everything from a pair of sannies to a slap up meal. The main store in Morrison Street just over the Kingston Bridge was like entering into another world. I can even remember my Dividend number, which isn't so hard as it was 11111. The old "divi" used to help us in many ways, like school clothes, the odd week-end and of course, somewhere we could go for a meal.

The Copey was used to hold receptions after a christening, after a wedding and sometimes sadly following a funeral. I hate to think just how many funerals I have attended which were arranged by the Co-op. All the arrangements, including the buffet after the burial, were arranged by the Co-op. Now, however, the Co-op seems to be purely into funeral arrangements with a plan called Funeralcare. No more wonderful shops, no more tea rooms where people could meet and chat. All in all, I think there are only a few small Co-op shops scattered around Scotland.

There was a fairly large supermarket in Kirkintilloch, but even this was bought out by Sainsbury's.

I still have my old dividend book, which I couldn't part with. You see, it was my mother-in-law's to begin with and when we moved in with her, we took it over and paid all the bills, and obviously we bought all the messages. The book must be 100 years old by now.

We sure miss the Co-operative.

Big Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 3rd Sep 2005, 12:42pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
hi tommy my wee local shop is the co-op just doon the road it is like the kenley village cop shop memorial hall chemists newspaper shop chinese restaurant kenley arms public house then co-op biggrin.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
quester
post 3rd Sep 2005, 04:39pm
Post #3

Resident
Member No.: 2,094
Hi again tommy. Boy, you ain't half stoking the memory fires. I remember the Co-opie very well. I even remember our 'divvie' numbers. Grunnie's was 17968 and oure 223645, Every trip to the Co-opie produced a wee receipt with the number on and we kept ours in a "jeelie jar" in the pantry. Once a year the Co=opie issued its "divvies" and we used to go to the main centre in Loch Street in Aberdeen armed with hundreds of 'tickets'. We dressed in our Sunday best because after collecting our divvie we went to the 'posh' restaurant for a meal. Blimey, once a year. Rest of the time it was a fish or a mealie puddin supper from the chippie.

--------------------
the urban spaceman = floating on a moonbeam

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 4th Sep 2005, 03:45am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
I also remember the Co=op in Morrison St very well that was my first job working in the Co-op Offices Office junior,
I watched a show on TV the other night called{ Hot Property's} and it was in Glasgow and they showed you how the building has all been turned into Flats now, 97.000 pounds for a one bedroom Flat just about fell off my chair, was good to see Glasgow again, though as i never seems to get out of East Kilbride when I go home as my Brother and Sister have both moved out of Glasgow likes lots of people I am sure,
Tommy you have a fantastic memory, I also remember out co-op number though as well , how could I forget had to use it everyday after school bread & Milk at the Co-op and not forgetting the Rolls also

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 5th Sep 2005, 07:58pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Tommy. Rabs first job was as a 'Butchers Boy' in the Co-op. I never will forget the day my big bike (with basket on front) got its wheel stuck in the tram-lines and deposited me on the pavement outside The Wheatsheaf Bar and the sheeps heid from my basket skited through the door into the bar to the consternation of customers laugh.gif My Mammy worked in Morrison Street ladies fashion dept. for years. Divi No. 4747.

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 5th Sep 2005, 09:23pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Quester

Are you from Aberdeen ? We went for our holidays there every year from whenmy daughter was just 6 months old /We tooka house in Holburn street witha a

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 6th Sep 2005, 01:37pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
God Tommy you have some memory. Our co-op # was 1650 that was in Dennistoun. Then we moved and got a new #537 .I only remember the co-op as a grocery store. unsure.gif

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 6th Sep 2005, 02:05pm
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
I used to deliver the groceries for the co-op up the gillshie i remember this one lady
she lived on the top floor and she always got a lot we used to have to put them in one of these big orange boxes with the two sides when you delivered them she wanted them put on her table then she gave you a penny tip

+Quote Post
betty2
post 7th Sep 2005, 05:52pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
My mammy's co-op no. was 4861. Many was the yime when I went there to take her place in the Q. every body shopped there , And every quarter there was whet was known as the Co fever, that was when bills had tae be paid. Also rememberin her havig a mutuality club card, but canny mind what that was ,

still here in glesca

The Co. fed yi cled yi wed yi and finally buried yi unsure.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Sep 2005, 08:15pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Cameron ah hope ye never spent it aw in the wan shoap. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Sep 2005, 06:00pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
A fine wee lass, a bonnie wee lass,
Is bonnie wee Jeannie McColl;
I gave her my mother's engagement ring
And a bonnie wee tartan shawl.
I met her at a waddin'
In the Co-operative Hall
I wis the best man
And she was the belle of the ball. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Angela Chick
post 8th Sep 2005, 06:24pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,713
laugh.gif melody you are mental girl but you sure make me laugh, a love that wee song

--------------------
Tell it like it is

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Sep 2005, 06:29pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Ah'm no mental Angela, well no completely laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Angela Chick
post 8th Sep 2005, 06:34pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,713
well melody if we aint mental yet we soon will be after joining the GG laugh.gif

--------------------
Tell it like it is

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Sep 2005, 06:34pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Angela dae ye think ah should dump Biggles, ah've done everythin' tae get him tae notice me but hus he gave me wan wee wink?..............Not a sausage. But he is lovely right enough sure he is? He's got wan o they wee cute faces, an it's the eyes that get me, take a good look at him, nae woman could resist those eyes could she? Naw ah've changed ma mind ah'll jist keep him for another wee while and see whit happens laugh.gif

Yer right I am mental.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.