Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bygone Era Ye Olde Shoppe, Bygone Era Ye Olde Shoppe
Thomas
post 7th Jun 2005, 09:50pm
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
Memories of old Glasgow shops are long and varied but here are a few; A Massey Ltd, which in turn became Massey Lipton's. These were usually bought over by Templeton's, Presto and then Safeway. The name will conjour memories for some!

Wood & Selby at St George's Cross, Cowlairs, St Rollox, St George's and all the other independent Co-op's. I know that Clydebank Co-op remains as an Independent today.

Bayne & Duckett the shoe shops, all over the city as well as Ross' Dairies and many other locally famous stores, such as Ogilvie's at Maryhill Road and Gairbraid Avenue. You would go in and get butter by the pound, patted and wrapped. Butcher's were typically sawdust establishments and the meat tasted better then! Fore Fruits was another wee place on Maryhill Road, its gone too - it was a fruiters. Alex Munro or the Scot's favourite, Galloway's was the big chain of butchers with that sawdust and the carcus hanging!

Galbraiths, Coopers, Coopers- Fine Fare, Lewis's, Arnott and Simpson and Henry Healey. Hoey's now was there not two companies called Hoey's? I think there was a story to that, one was DH and the other was HM or something - I think there was a family split!

Henderson's the funeral directors, independent too. Now there are very few Independent Funeral Directors around, as Jonathan Harvey and T & R O'Brian are now part of the big Dignity Plc chain, with chainstore prices!

Byres Road was an incredible shopping place, with Scotsports in Great George Street and Scot toys on the main road. There was the Savoy restaurant, now McPhee's and the South of Scotland Electricity Board Shop (SSEB) They were all over the place! Gone now too!

Partick was an Alladin's Cave of shopping, everything you needed could be found there, now you get charity shops, banks, and hairdressers, which is no use to a bald man like me!

The Garden's Cafe in Byres Road was my favourite, then there was the Cosy Neuk and of course the Grosvenor and the only survivor, The University Cafe - thank God for the Verrechia family!

I remember going into the all of these stores, to get my Mother's messages, but a saunter in the town on a Saturday always began at the foodcourt of Lewis's where you could sample some of their wares. Just a thought, I remember you could park in the St Enoch - o not that ugly glass thing, but the former railway station that was briefly a car park (where the platforms used to be).

I could go on and on and on - but I will leave you to ponder some of my memories, whilst I suck on a Summer Cream from the Sweetie Jar in Partick!

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th May 2007, 07:10pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
one old shop i remember was the wee dairy at the foot of lochburn rd, my granny - she was funny and she gave almost everyone a nick name and the man who owned the dairy was a Mr Alexander he was a very hairy man: and my dear old granny had to give him a nick name as well, so in our family he was no longer Mr Alexander his new name was now hairy hauns laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Jun 2007, 08:29pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember Wood & Selby.

One day at lunch time a group of us decided to go to Wood & Selby for a look around.
When a sales assistant came up to us and asked if we wanted anything, one of the girls pretended she was to get some new dresses, so mummy told her to go in to the shop and see if there was anything she liked.
The assistant had her all round the dress dept., and Siobhan tried on some dresses and posed all over the place really playing her part with the posh accent. The rest of us were having a fit as we were in school uniform and were worried in case we got reported for wasting the assistants time. We could not get out the shop quick enough, and I felt sorry for the assistant as she really thought she was on a big sale. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 26th Jun 2007, 10:03pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
remember dallases up past charring cross my mammy bought a lurex dress for 21 guinieas a remember as a got my spanish doll she had a blue and black frilly dress and a longed for this doll for about a year and am sure it was there with my name on it and a got it 29shillings and 11pennies a will never forget her and how she got the dress was when she won that 150snowball at the bingo and a had my party and my mammys birthday was the day afore mine happy shopping oh henry healys used to sell the butter in pats and the ham and egg shop oh john colliers the suit people and fergusions in union st oh the smell of ground coffee was fantastic wafting up the stairs

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:35pm
Post #5

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
jeez that was dear for a dress back then.. I got sandals out that shop when I was about seven.. they were rainbow straps. I loved them. Remember all the tailors where you could pick a pattern and have your coats made..

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.