Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Barras, Do you remember ?
Heather
post 29th Sep 2005, 01:54pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I used to like whelks and mussels when I was young. I remember we used to go along the beach collecting them, then when we went home, cooking them and eating a big plateful. Then when I was in my 20s I took a dislike to them.
One night when we were out for dinner I tried crab, and was violently ill. I have been allergic to any type of shell fish for many years, even looking at them makes me feel ill. sad.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
keelie gal'
post 30th Sep 2005, 07:59am
Post #32

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,406
ooohhhhh the barras......where de ye start love the seafood and the home made soup the people and the patter are an added bonus wub.gif

--------------------
keelie gal'

+Quote Post
Teeny
post 30th Sep 2005, 01:54pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 37
I last visited the Barras when I was home in 2003. Great place to buy Scottish souvenirs for folk here in OZ as they love Scottish teatowels etc etc.

The patter is just brilliant and still makes me laugh to hear the guys selling their wares. I remember there was one guy selling Marks & Sparks towels for a fraction of the price and they just walked off his shelves.

Anyone who's against the black market element of the Barras should simply not buy from these folk, but don't stop going and providing a custom to other legit folks who are there to eke out a living.

Teeny tongue.gif

+Quote Post
keelie gal'
post 6th Oct 2005, 01:47pm
Post #34

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,406
when i come hame for a visit which i often do my trip hame wud nae be complete withoot a trip to the barras i love the place and it never changes much can still get all my favourite things from the barras whelks being on of them,and i love the pubs roon that way too perfect when ya going roon the stalls on a freezing day ta pop in for a wee dram ta warm ye up wub.gif

--------------------
keelie gal'

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 3rd Nov 2005, 04:31pm
Post #35

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
smile.gif Ah wiz at ra Barras aboot 21/2 weeks ago aye the donoughts wur rerr...Ah goat a lot o' souvenirs to take back to Canada...decent prices too.....Ah wiz also lucky enough to get a cap badge of my old army regiment....cost me 1/3rd. of what a guy in Edmonton was asking..Ah wiz quite chuffed

Going back to the old days.....I remember my brother taking me when Ah wiz a wee boy....there wiz a spare bit o' ground and a man wiz daein his sword swallower and breaking chains across his chest....Ah thought it wiz great
Also the wee black man wi' the white calico, selling snake oil...used to put some on his palm an'rub his hauns thegither...he said "good for your morrer,your farrer, good for everybody" a very colourful gentleman (no pun intended)

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
mcaulaymunn
post 3rd Jul 2007, 06:53pm
Post #36

Settling In
Member No.: 4,868
I have never been to the Barras, but I am going for the first time in 3 weeks.
Can't wait to see what goodies I can get for the kids, and on of those T Shirts, the HERO at Glasgow Airport.
How much do they go for?

Oh and I hate SEAFOOD

+Quote Post
angel
post 3rd Jul 2007, 06:58pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
biggrin.gif can't help you much with your questions, but hope you have a great holiday

Angel

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
mcaulaymunn
post 3rd Jul 2007, 07:04pm
Post #38

Settling In
Member No.: 4,868
Thanks Angel,
It is only my second time in Glasgow, and I will be visiting Edinburgh for the day, for the Archives.

I love Thursday late night shopping in Glasgow biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 16th Oct 2007, 01:55am
Post #39

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
We were last at the Barra's 24 years ago , looking for curtains for our first wee flat in Barrhead . Had a lovely fish and chip dinner at the chipshop there . Dont eat whelkes or mussels , although ma husband likes them now and again . As always it was like a madhoose , but thoroughly enjoyed maself . smile.gif

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 17th Oct 2007, 10:34pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
As I mind , it was a great day out, loved the noise , the patter from the traders and the smell of fried onions, didnt like the whelks and mussles BOLK!

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.