Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Listen (records), Listen Record Shop - Renfield Street?
Purplefan
post 3rd May 2013, 07:27pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
It was at the bottom of reinfield street ( i think) and me and my mates
used to go on a saturday and buy or records.
There was something magical about the place, and it is a shame that record
shops no longer exist.
Where did you buy your records from, and do any of you remember the listening booths
you went into, when you wanted to hear a track?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 3rd May 2013, 10:23pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I used to work in the clothing shop next door to Listen. Our stock room was in the basement. Down there the two stores were only separated by a door. Half the staff of our shop would make excuses to look for something downstairsjust to listen to the sounds from next door.
I remember Listen going all in for CDs when they were first introduced. I believe this changed the feel of the place. It didn't last too long after that.
There was another good record shop on Redfield Street. I can't remember what it was called. It was in the basement of a lamp/lighting shop. Anyone?

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 3rd May 2013, 10:29pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DavidT @ 3rd May 2013, 10:40pm) *
I used to work in the clothing shop next door to Listen. Our stock room was in the basement. Down there the two stores were only separated by a door. Half the staff of our shop would make excuses to look for something downstairsjust to listen to the sounds from next door.
I remember Listen going all in for CDs when they were first introduced. I believe this changed the feel of the place. It didn't last too long after that.
There was another good record shop on Redfield Street. I can't remember what it was called. It was in the basement of a lamp/lighting shop. Anyone?

I think i remember the other one, i bought my C>B radio out of it, forget what it was called. its a shame listen closed, as it was a special place you could just hang out in.

Bought my first ever record out of that shop. I wish i could say it was Led zeppelin or something. But it was moldy old dough by Lieutenant pigeon. blush.gif

The shame.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 4th May 2013, 04:30am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
I used to love Listen record shop and would go there every weekend searching for albums and asking for foreign imports. The staff were always so knowledgeable and helpful and it was a shame when they went under, just as it was for Bruce's record shop when it closed and more recently, 23rd Precinct in Bath Street and McCormicks music store as well. I bought my first guitar out there and it's so sad that these places are now gone.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 4th May 2013, 04:48pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 4th May 2013, 04:47am) *
I used to love Listen record shop and would go there every weekend searching for albums and asking for foreign imports. The staff were always so knowledgeable and helpful and it was a shame when they went under, just as it was for Bruce's record shop when it closed and more recently, 23rd Precinct in Bath Street and McCormicks music store as well. I bought my first guitar out there and it's so sad that these places are now gone.

Awww bugger not McCormicks? ohmy.gif I love going in there and listen to the staff play.
It was a magical place.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
*Kirk Y*
post 25th Nov 2013, 08:29pm
Post #6

I used to help prepare the annual accounts for the brothers that owned Listen Records. I was only 17 or 18 I think. The joy was the annual stock count as there were more records upstairs in the stock room than in the shop ! Lots more !! So I spent more time than I should have as I sifted through and checked off physical stock to their stock sheets. No computers back then. I think maybe I had to listen to some too to make sure they were ok ;-) The shop was at the bottom of Renfield Street near the corner of Gordon Street. Happy days.

+Quote Post
*Billy Jameson*
post 30th Dec 2013, 07:40pm
Post #7

I used to go into the Listen Records shop in Paisley. I think the manager was Tom a tall guy with brown hair and a beard - he was brilliant, so friendly to customers and he really knew his stuff with regard to music. His window displays were a riot, so clever and witty and independently done by him. Also Christmas Eve was amazing, I remember one where the queues ran down High Street and round the corner. Listen had go-go dancers, live bands, and great offers on vinyl albums, and his 'Inter Play' wall for musicians seeking gigs and selling/buying gear was a real focal point. A fantastic shop - I really miss it.

+Quote Post
*Tim Chronnell*
post 22nd Nov 2014, 01:21pm
Post #8

I used to work in Listen and Bloggs for the famed McNaughton Brothers between 1977 and 1982. Started in Cambridge Street then moved to Renfield Street (on both sides of the road) before managing the store in Edinburgh when it first opened before returning to work back in Glasgow. It was a great place to work and have many happy memories, especially the numerous characters on my side of the counter - you know who you are. Its renown still echoes down the decades which is evidenced by the fact that when I meet people who frequented the branches and I tell that I once worked there they are mighty impressed and, perhaps, a mite envious.

+Quote Post
**Scott**
post 9th Mar 2015, 03:20pm
Post #9

Did Listen in Renfield Street change to The Other Record Shop?

I have a vague recollection of going to The Other Record Shop and am sure it was at the foot of Renfield Street.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 11th Mar 2015, 05:48pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Here's a feature about Listen Records on Lost Glasgow's Facebook page...
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=25103...amp;__tn__=%2As

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 11th Mar 2015, 06:39pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DavidT @ 11th Mar 2015, 06:05pm) *
Here's a feature about Listen Records on Lost Glasgow's Facebook page...
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=25103...amp;__tn__=%2As

Well I say "feature". A wee bit of an exaggeration, but the shop is at the start of the wee film. cool.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 10th Sep 2017, 01:06pm
Post #12

QUOTE (Billy Jameson @ 30th Dec 2013, 07:40pm) *
I used to go into the Listen Records shop in Paisley. I think the manager was Tom a tall guy with brown hair and a beard - he was brilliant, so friendly to customers and he really knew his stuff with regard to music. His window displays were a riot, so clever and witty and independently done by him. Also Christmas Eve was amazing, I remember one where the queues ran down High Street and round the corner. Listen had go-go dancers, live bands, and great offers on vinyl albums, and his 'Inter Play' wall for musicians seeking gigs and selling/buying gear was a real focal point. A fantastic shop - I really miss it.

Hello Billy - some 4 years later, but I've just found your posting on here about Listen in Paisley. I'm the 'Tom' (now I spell it as Thom) the guy you very kindly referred to in it. I was at Listen on the High Street for about four years I think in total before moving back to the Glasgow branch to run things at Renfield Street. I had a great time in Paisley, some wonderful memories and loads of terrific stories. One was when an irate woman came in to complain about a faulty Abba 7" single. She promptly removed it from a bag of flour covered scones and demanded that I play it. When I suggested to her I'd replace it without playing it (it would've destroyed the stylus) she roared back at me "What kinda fuc-ing shop d'ye call this?!!" Brilliant. Anyway - thanks again, and if you'd like to exchange more memories my email address is thomscreen@gmail.com Thom McKeown.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 11th Sep 2017, 05:02am
Post #13

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Very good to see the mentioned Tom (Thom) recognise himself and post. Shrinks the world a little bit . Oh I know there`s Facebook and all the rest,but it`s not for me.So a forum like this is my connection to my past life in Glasgow.
When I was a teenager every Sunday was the Barras day,standing at the record bar listening to the latest tunes,hoping the boy would put on all our favourites,good music back then in the days before the Beatles changed the world forever. Oh I can see someone come at me with a big stick tongue.gif .I grew up in a family where a radiogram and buying records was away down the list of necessities,food and heat and rent coming first,so I never had the pleasure of records,but in those days the radio ,especially Radio Luxemburg filled the need.
Now I drive along listening to all my favs on my cd player in the car,who`d have thunk ! not me away back in the 40`s and 50`s. Grateful for small mercies.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.