Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone Remember This Dept Store (in Charing Cross?)
Evan
post 26th Mar 2009, 04:08pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 6,714
When I was still in Primary school in Paisley (am I allowed to mention that town?), my mother and aunt used to "drag" me up to Glasgow (Western SMT to Clyde St) almost every Saturday to be "trailed" round the shops. We went to the then very different areas of Glasgow; Charing Cross, Queens Park area, Glasgow Cross, Argyle St then up Buchanan St (with the posh shops shut on Sat afternoons) to Sauchiehall St.
I've been reading the Lewis's memories; fantastic children's toy dept esp at Christmas. I lost my golden curls aged two seated on some animal (wooden) in Lewis's barbers. However, I know I was bought a new toy afterwards - my mum was weeping apparently, I wasn't! My pedal car was obtained from Wylie & Lochead and do I remember the Clyde Model Dockyard!
My real question is about a recurring memory (or dream) I keep having about a "strange" dept store, I think on a street corner in Charing Cross.
You entered on the corner; the entrance area was darkish wood on the walls; to the left were a few steps down to a clothing dept. On the right were stairs up to a restaurant. BUT, I seem to remember an old, wooden lift. This went up BUT then went "sideways" on the level and up again eventually arriving at the restaurant.
Is this true or is it just a false memory?
Best wishes and memories from Evan.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 26th Mar 2009, 06:20pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Hi Evan, Ive never known a lift tae go sideways did this only take place on a Seterday night,,,,,,, jist just kiddin Evan tongue.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Evan
post 27th Mar 2009, 09:44am
Post #3

Visitor
Hi Glasgow Lass; Paisley buddies never get drunk!
Apparently some lifts did do this; there was one in a London dept store long gone and my wife from Devon remembers one down that way. The lift would just run on rails for a few feet then up again. How the cable connects I haven't a clue. If it was ever built, I bet it was designed by some Glasgow engineer!
I'm still not sure if this was a dream (non-drunken) or real. However, losing my curls in Lewis's was very real; I'm almost bald now to prove it!

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 27th Mar 2009, 12:03pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Ah bet a few o us here dinnea need a lift to go sideyways after a cupple o bevvies.

But they got lifts that go up, doon, sidewis on yon USS Enterprise.

*Sqoooshhh* Scooty, "Ingine Room!" *Sqoooshhh* "Ochh, ah cannea git the dilithium crystals tae light."

Sorry, but dont know aboot a place like you mentioned. Charing Cross, wis a bit aff my auld stamping grounds, unless wis walking up tae the Art Galleries, or Kelvin Hall.

Wis a totally different place before yon M8 montrosity wus carved through it . It hud charactor, noo these days it seems mair like a slow moving car park.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 27th Mar 2009, 02:58pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
Hi Evan it sounds like Dallas's that was posh and very expensive my mammy loved that shop she was always a good earner and my brothers were always smartly dressed as she was a fantastic tailoress se even made her wedding outfit but a remember a black hugfitting dress with blue lurex in it and it cost 21 guinieas and a was only a wee lassie laugh.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 27th Mar 2009, 03:15pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Ah thats why ah didnea know it, it was posh:(

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 27th Mar 2009, 03:19pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Aye was that the shop wae the lift that went sideways tongue.gif

+Quote Post
mamie 1
post 27th Mar 2009, 03:19pm
Post #8

Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,452
Dallas's. was my first job after leaving school. My starting wage was 39shillings not even 2.....,but I have to say I loved working in this shop. Hugh Fraser owend it with some other shops, his son also Hugh started at the same time as me, we were the same age, and he was there to learn the business.

+Quote Post
mamie 1
post 27th Mar 2009, 03:20pm
Post #9

Lord Provost
Dallas's. was my first job after leaving school. My starting wage was 39shillings not even 2.....,but I have to say I loved working in this shop. Hugh Fraser owend it with some other shops, his son also Hugh started at the same time as me, we were the same age, and he was there to learn the business.

sorry I must have tripped mad.gif

+Quote Post
Evan
post 27th Mar 2009, 03:50pm
Post #10

Visitor
Still don't know about the lift but thanks everyone. "Dallas's" ? A name I had long forgotten! I remember now my mother saying we were going "up to Dallas's". That would be a special trip to Charing Cross; red Western bus to Cessnock and then the subway. Back home in the afternoon picking up the Paisley/Johnstone bus across the road from Cessnock, some buses running past as they were full. As my dear friend Barbara would say "Memories" !!

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 27th Mar 2009, 05:23pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
Hi Mamie I used to work in Dallas on a Saturday afternoon up in the office used to get 10/ for my afternoons work used to write up the Provie checks Caledonian checks they used to come up through the tubes and we updated them.
Stuarty Dallas s was at Cowcaddens doll laugh.gif

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
mamie 1
post 27th Mar 2009, 06:56pm
Post #12

Lord Provost
I just loved putting the money up the chute, and waiting for the change to come back down......If my memory is correct it was two sisters who were the personel officers, it's a long time ago, I'cant remember their names.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 28th Mar 2009, 01:44am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
QUOTE (Anne1 @ 27th Mar 2009, 05:10pm) *
Hi Mamie I used to work in Dallas on a Saturday afternoon up in the office used to get 10/ for my afternoons work used to write up the Provie checks Caledonian checks they used to come up through the tubes and we updated them.
Stuarty Dallas s was at Cowcaddens doll laugh.gif
aye but it was just roond the corner from charing cross is that right see a get cowcaddens and charing cross as the start and finnish of the 2 places so a get confused Anne wan a was a wee lassie efter aww rolleyes.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
AnneTeak
post 18th Jul 2009, 07:00pm
Post #14

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,190
Hi Evan just had a thought although you think it was at the Charing Cross end could it not have been Watt Bros on the corner of Sauchiehall St?!!
I am intrigued by the sideways lift and fascinated to hear that they actually existed I too had dreams about that but always put it down to my fear of flying - in my dreams the lift goes sideways and then up and out the roof as well unsure.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sittin on top o' the bus - looking down...............

+Quote Post
Evan
post 18th Jul 2009, 10:52pm
Post #15

Visitor
Hi Anne; it was in the 50s when I was "dragged" round the shops. In those days my mother and aunt used to go to a different district of Glasgow most Saturdays. All I can really remember is that every area had different shops and all had at least one main dept store (so much better than Debenhams; Debenhams; Debenhams !!).
I'm only guessing where the store was; I know it wasn't Argyle St area; that was reserved for wonderful Lewis's plus Fraser's; Paisley's; Goldbergs and, via the Arcade, Wylie & Lochhead. It definitely had a corner entrance with a dept to the left, lift more or less straight in front and stairs just to the right leading to the restaurant.
The lift went up; sideways; and up. I think I remember it either almost in daylight or "sort of" crossing the roof; maybe it was going from one original building to another adjacent one, both belonging to the same store. ????
Bit like that old TV show; The Outer Limits!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.