Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do You Remember, Shop
lindamac
post 31st Mar 2007, 02:18am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
laugh.gif it was lifebuoy carbolic washing soap or sunlight or fairygreen washing soap in oor hoose...........dad use the green liquidy gel soap he called it swasviga soap after work & the lifebuoy when not working,mammy used either or fairygreen or sunlight oan us weans in the kitchen sink sames she used furr tae handwash claes in the next sink with a wringer seperating the 2 sinks ahhhhh memories eh. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Avril
post 31st Mar 2007, 03:57pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
biggrin.gif Hi Lindyloo, my Jim still uses Swarfega...it's brilliant for removing oil and grime from a working man's hands biggrin.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 31st Mar 2007, 05:59pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
I remember before my Mammy got the tiled fireplace we had a big black range .We used to use ZEBO on the black bits and she had a square of leather with something like chain metal sewed to it and she would rub the stainless steel bits with Dura Glit and burnish them with this chain thing ,Do you still get Dura Glit ? If you have a pair of glasses or a mirror with a wee scratch ,not too deep , then if you rub it gently with the Dura Glit it polishes out the scratch .Another old product BLANKO .We used to get our sannies done with it and put out on the windowsill to dry . laugh.gif

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 1st Apr 2007, 01:36am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Jakka I remember the blanco. Mum used to whiten our sanny's and put them on the winowsill as you said. The fireplace in my granny's house used to be black lead. My aunts used to take turns of doing it every week. Is that the same thing you are talking about.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Elma
post 1st Apr 2007, 04:46am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I remember blanco too, after you had cleaned your sandshoes your hands were all covered in white from the wee sponge you put it on with. My mum was always very particular in having my shoes done every night so that they looked good the next day, now we just throw them in the wash. My gran used black lead on her grate, another messy job!! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 1st Apr 2007, 01:48pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
Yes Isobel ,the black lead came in a tin and it was called Zebo.

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 1st Apr 2007, 03:59pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
oh a love the smell of swarfega and duraglite a will try and get a pic of blanco and zebo ok gals couldent find blanco
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 1st Apr 2007, 07:07pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
My Mother loved that Brasso. Our name plate and knocker used to shine.There was one lady in our close who never polished hers ,and she was the talk of the place. Funny the things that we remember. laugh.gif

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 1st Apr 2007, 07:39pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif BRASSO!!!!!!!!!!!! Heres a wee trick I learned from the man whom fitted my Kitchen,I thought I would require a new set of kitchen sinks,as the old ones were old & tired looking However I knew I would miss the 2 sinks since they are not made in those sizes anymore etc.
Much to my delight & surprise the kitchen fitter said you can bring these sinks up to looking brand new if you so desire,which of course I got excited about so asked why & How come? He told me to clean sinks as normal thereafter use Brasso to clean up the stainless steele sinks.I did this & left them for 10mins or so,then I buffed them up ,well my sinks came up like new not a scratch on them & not only that they were sort of waterproofed as in the water gathered in beads for a few days which means the sink took ages to get dirty again,instead of cleaning them every other day I only had to clean them twice a week, BRASSO Them every 3 mths this also works on enamel sinks & the porcelain etc it takes that scratchy harsh icerink look away from them & has them appear glossy & new.Mind ye I always loved the smell.I still do this today as well as my bathroom sink included. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 12th Apr 2007, 09:24pm
Post #25

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
Oh my, do I remeber Blanco...I whitened my sanni shoes every night,and would put them on the open window sill to dry..I wasn't forced to do this, but my sannis just had to be real white..And yes it was messy,and it always took the laces soo long to dry. Most times they never quite made it.
I can still smell Brasso, I too loved it...Every Friday night, it was my job to shine all the brass on our front door,boy did it ever shine...Ah the routines we had,and I do believe it was Isobel who mentioned if the brass on your door didn't shine, you were the talk of the tennement. Great idea that using the Brasso on the stainless steel sink..Must try that...Trouble is I am having a difficult time finding Brasso in New Brunswick,Canada...Are you other Canadians able to purchase it in your neck of the woods?

+Quote Post
Elma
post 13th Apr 2007, 01:08am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I can buy both Brasso and Silvo at my local grocery store. I'll send you some if you like, PM me with your address Caterina. I didn't know about doing the kitchen sinks, I'm going to try it.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 1st Dec 2008, 08:26am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
I've got a tin of silvo, but you are too far away rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 1st Dec 2008, 04:51pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Bought some mushy peas and a bottle of irn-bru yesterday at our British Imports shop,they also do a complete sit down British breakfast (the lot)and next weekend were going for a real authentic fish supper at the "Olde Ship" in Fullerton,CA--Mmmm! life is good!!

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 7th Dec 2008, 07:54pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Does anybody remember the BERESFORD HOTEL on Sauchiehall St. when it had a Furriers shop called Betty Beresford Furs and at the other end there was a bar I think it was a great haunt for the Americans also the toy train shop in the the Argyle Arcade the 50s

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 7th Dec 2008, 07:59pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
To Wellfield from Southern California, your makin ma teeth WAAAATTTER, how much snow have you got down there I could send you some from British Columbia enjoy your breakfast i hope ithas Black Pudding in it

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.