Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

344 Pages V  « < 337 338 339 340 341 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 3 V
JAGZ1876
post 14th Nov 2019, 07:44pm
Post #5071

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (wombat @ 14th Nov 2019, 06:45pm) *
laugh.gif still trying to go off topic danny?

What do you mean "trying"? laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wombat
post 14th Nov 2019, 07:52pm
Post #5072

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 14th Nov 2019, 08:44pm) *
What do you mean "trying"? laugh.gif

sad.gif it wis the chinese wot caused it sad.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Nov 2019, 08:15pm
Post #5073

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wombat @ 14th Nov 2019, 07:52pm) *
sad.gif it wis the chinese wot caused it sad.gif

Coming over here and saving Welsh steel workers jobs, who do they think they are? wink.gif

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 14th Nov 2019, 09:22pm
Post #5074

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (wombat @ 14th Nov 2019, 07:52pm) *
:( it wis the chinese wot caused it :(

Wombat please read my next post to your pal Jagz

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Nov 2019, 09:41pm
Post #5075

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 14th Nov 2019, 09:22pm) *

Danny

Are you not my pal too Danny? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 14th Nov 2019, 09:55pm
Post #5076

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 14th Nov 2019, 08:15pm) *
Coming over here and saving Welsh steel workers jobs, who do they think they are? ;)

Jagz on behalf of the many young men who lost their lives in Korea fighting Communism, the evil they had been told would destroy democracy, I tell you sir, you are pathetic.

You have failed to understand the point I was making was not that the Chinese had taken over British Steel, it was the timing of the announcement! It was Armistice Day.

So just to give you an idea of how insensitive you and Bilbo are, here is what happened in ONE battle during the Korean War. Once you have read it go down to Gloucestershire and repeat what you have just posted to me you, ———-—I can’t bring myself to write it, if for no other reason, out of respect for the fallen.

On the 22nd of April 1951, 650 men whom became known as the Glorious Glosters after this battle, were surrounded by 30,000 Chinese troops. They became cut off from reinforcements because of a verbal misunderstanding, between the British Brigadier and his superior American officer in the United Nations Command post.

When asked what the situation was for the Glosters, the British officer used the following understatement. “Things are a bit sticky” he replied. The American officer, not used to British upper class terminology, took this to mean that things weren’t too bad. So no reinforcements were sent!

The battle lasted until the 25th of April 1951, by which time the Glosters had killed 10,000 young Chinese soldiers. Their Bren guns which had been firing continuously were glowing red hot.

When the Glosters survivors returned home after years of captivity in prisoner of war camps, they returned to a Britain still recovering from World War 2, and uninterested in their story.

It would appear that you and Wombat find the Korean War to have been funny, and you think I hate everybody. What sad disrespectful people you are.

Danny

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 14th Nov 2019, 11:02pm
Post #5077

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
[Post deleted. A repeat of such an offensive and regrettable post will result in a ban from posting. Discuss, but please don't disrespect. GG]

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 15th Nov 2019, 12:29am
Post #5078

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
All of those who survived the two Wars and all who didn't at home and abroad have my deepest admiration, respect and, when their scars resurface, my sympathy. There's next to nothing they can do or say to diminish their pride of place in our nation's history. No human could endure that violence and hardship and not be forever troubled by the memories. Memories that should be heard and understood, and which put today's younger generations' milder challenges into stark contrast.

--------------------
Freedom!
A dream
you can't
escape.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 15th Nov 2019, 07:43am
Post #5079

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 14th Nov 2019, 09:22pm) *

Danny

NAW laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 15th Nov 2019, 07:47am
Post #5080

Mega City Key Holder
rolleyes.gif"why you ask"?bcoz it will just be merr off topic bullsh.t tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 15th Nov 2019, 09:48am
Post #5081

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 15th Nov 2019, 01:02am) *
[Post deleted. A repeat of such an offensive and regrettable post will result in a ban from posting. Discuss, but please don't disrespect. GG]

Nice to see you're still around, Martin. Where were you when others, including myself, were being insulted? I honestly thought you had given up monitoring the site.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 15th Nov 2019, 11:16am
Post #5082

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 15th Nov 2019, 09:48am) *
Nice to see you're still around, Martin. Where were you when others, including myself, were being insulted? I honestly thought you had given up monitoring the site.

Totally agree, but it's nice to have Martin back again.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 15th Nov 2019, 08:24pm
Post #5083

Mega City Key Holder
So here we have it folks, the real reason for ripping us out of the EU according to the Tory Brexit Secretary Steve Barclay, helping English football.

https://twitter.com/stevebarclay/status/1194966699621208064

I'm sure the 38% who voted for separation here will be delighted.

Well DJ will no doubt. wink.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Nov 2019, 11:27pm
Post #5084

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (DannyH @ 13th Nov 2019, 10:43pm) *
TeeHee

A) I am making the following post on the assumption your post is levelled at me ...

B) You obviously were in the RAF for a long period ..

C) Your mention of the Common Security and Defence Policy indicates to me that you have been used to reading Standing Orders on your barracks room walls for years ...

D) The CSDP you quote is like the Highway Code. Who bothers about it after they have passed their driving test? ...

E) My post regarding conscription was made after reading an interview given by President Macron of France to The Economist. He is a politician, with more attention being paid to than your CSDP.

Danny

Danny, to avoid misunderstanding ( rolleyes.gif ) I will address your post in its segment parts.

A) Correct.

B) False. Periods are 3, 5, 9, 12, and 22 years. Mine was 9 reuced to 5 (+4 reserve)

C) False. Station Standing Ordeers are to be read in Station Headquarters on arrival, before performing duties as reequired by the Station Warrant Officer (commonly known as SWO's Working Party) or on request.
Squadron Standing Orders are to be read in the Skipper's Office or on the Crew Room Notice Board (if interested).

D) Wrong on two counts. The CSDP is unlike the Highway Code (which UK law requires to be regularly read to aquaint with updated changes) and is read ( at least by Defence Ministers and Defence Chiefs of member states (including member states not affected).

E) Macron, who supports the CSDP, in his interview with The Economist wherein he mentioned conscription lends confirmation of the point I made that conscription is down to each of the member states. It is not my CSDP but that of the European Union and although you may pay as much attention to it as you do to the Highway Code there is a greater number who do; on both counts.

Summary

It would appear that you are wrong on all but one, obvious, point which, if I may be allowed to assume, is due simply to a sad lack of knowledge. sad.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 16th Nov 2019, 12:17am
Post #5085

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 15th Nov 2019, 11:27pm) *
Danny, to avoid misunderstanding ( :rolleyes: ) I will address your post in its segment parts.

A) Correct.

B) False. Periods are 3, 5, 9, 12, and 22 years. Mine was 9 reuced to 5 (+4 reserve)

C) False. Station Standing Ordeers are to be read in Station Headquarters on arrival, before performing duties as reequired by the Station Warrant Officer (commonly known as SWO's Working Party) or on request.
Squadron Standing Orders are to be read in the Skipper's Office or on the Crew Room Notice Board (if interested).

D) Wrong on two counts. The CSDP is unlike the Highway Code (which UK law requires to be regularly read to aquaint with updated changes) and is read ( at least by Defence Ministers and Defence Chiefs of member states (including member states not affected).

E) Macron, who supports the CSDP, in his interview with The Economist wherein he mentioned conscription lends confirmation of the point I made that conscription is down to each of the member states. It is not my CSDP but that of the European Union and although you may pay as much attention to it as you do to the Highway Code there is a greater number who do; on both counts.

Summary

It would appear that you are wrong on all but one, obvious, point which, if I may be allowed to assume, is due simply to a sad lack of knowledge. :(

Hi TeeHee

Thank you for your civil response to my post.

I have to disagree with you regarding your length of service, purely based on my experience during National Service. As you know National Service was for two years. Signing on for three years was known as a short term commitment. Anything longer than that was considered to be long term. So as you did five years, we have to agree to disagree on that one.

Now we get to Standing Orders. In Berlin where I was stationed, Standing Orders were pinned permanently to the notice board. Daily orders were also posted there, but obviously as the title suggests, they were changed daily.

Now your comment regarding the Highway Code has me wondering; are you trying to tell me that most drivers keep up to date with the Highway Code?

Regarding Macron, are you trying to tell me that this is not the thin edge of the wedge? He realises, as I am sure you do, that the EU cannot go on relying on NATO to maintain a defence force against the perceived threat from Russia. Sure, for the next ten years or so, EU countries will have their own armed forces. However, with the passage of time, let’s say 50 years from now, if the UK stays in the EU, the number of EU citizens living in the UK will outnumber the population of Scotland, so it is inevitable that an EU army will be created.

Most of the political talk has been about Trade, when it comes to Brexit. Very little has been said about the contribution the UK makes to the defence budget of the EU. Macron must be well aware of this, hence his warning that the EU has to get its act together soon

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post

344 Pages V  « < 337 338 339 340 341 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.