Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whit Toonhied Had That No Possils Had.., Parly Road!
mlconnelly
post 10th Aug 2011, 01:49pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
That should say my Granny. LOL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 10th Aug 2011, 02:50pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Another thing Toonheid had was the "CLINIC" I used to stay in 66 Black st and the clinic was 65 The old jokes about people holding the newspaper up to hide their faces was true we saw it many a time, another way of getting in the door without being seen was to walk up the tenement side of the street and then do a quick dart across the road and through the gates.
The most brazen were the black guys who would arrive by taxi right to the gate, I dont recall ever seeing a white punter arrive by taxi or car. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Aug 2011, 03:51pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Dave, i hope your not taking us down a racist route here unsure.gif After all how many black people were living here in those days?.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 10th Aug 2011, 04:22pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Aug 2011, 05:37pm) *
Dave, i hope your not taking us down a racist route here unsure.gif After all how many black people were living here in those days?.

Hi Jagz
In 1971 when I moved out of Black st you didn't see so many blacks walking the streets of Glasgow, so when I say the most brazen were the blacks that would arrive by taxi it is an observation made by myself of the various people that would have to use the services of the "clinic"

since when is it racilistic to mention somebodies colour? I could have said it was eskimos, or hielenders dressed in kilts or japanese samurai warriors, it wasn't it was black guys.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Aug 2011, 04:51pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry Dave, you've totally lost me here, i may be missing something, but humour me, do you mean your having a play on word here, Black St, black people, regardless of their colour? As for when was it racist to mention someone's colour, if it's in a derogatory way then it is.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 10th Aug 2011, 07:47pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 10th Aug 2011, 02:35pm) *
That should say my Granny. LOL

I thought thats wit ye meant, although I did ken a few of the others that came frea Parly Road.

Two of my Great Grannies lived in Parly Road in the 1880's, the family on my Grannies side in early 1900's was all over the place; Parly Road, Parson St, Castle St, Stirling Road, High St, an then up the hill to Garngadhill / Millburn Street / Bright St.

Nea wunder my G-Grand pegged it at tender age 84, the poor auld sowel must have been worn out making awe them weans... laugh.gif

On my Das side it was Calton, Brigtoon and Camlachie, some of the family are still there!

A right auld mixture of Scots and Irish.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 10th Aug 2011, 07:56pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Black Street clinic wasnea just for joiners and shifty dudes in duffle coats, it catered for other things including yer more exotic ailiments.

Now then, I must have been about 10 when I went for some form of check up, for the life of me ah cannea remember wit it was, but the doctor was a huge man as black as the Earl of Hells waistcoat and scart the life oot me as I had been watching King Kong the night afore.

Needless to say, after that traumantic encounter ah didnea go back there again:p

Honest ahm an engineer an ahm jist fixing the biler.. ph34r.gif

cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 11th Aug 2011, 06:41am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 10th Aug 2011, 06:37pm) *
Sorry Dave, you've totally lost me here, i may be missing something, but humour me, do you mean your having a play on word here, Black St, black people, regardless of their colour? As for when was it racist to mention someone's colour, if it's in a derogatory way then it is.

I have debated with myself whether to answer this or just ignore it and decided that to debate it with you would be the better way.

• No there was no play on the word Black st and my reference to black men arriving by taxi.
• No to make an observation is not derogatory.
• Yes you must stop being super sentive and PC.
• Question for you, on the left hand side panel there is my name and location, if my location showed anywhere in Scotland would we be having this debate?
• I probably meet and interact with more black people between 07h00 and 12h00 any day of the week than you will meet in a month of Sundays, how could I have survived for more than 40 years if I was a racist?
• Two days ago I watched a Sky news reporter walking with a local councillor down one of the streets in London that had been devastated in the riots. She the Sky news reporter stated that it was obvious that the majority of the looters were black.
• My question to you is. Was that derogatory or an observation

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 11th Aug 2011, 12:20pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Dave, let's get one thing straight, at no time did i call you a racist, all i wanted to know was why you thought it was necessary to make an issue of black people coming out of taxis and cars. And i am aware of your location, i didn't mention it because it had no relevance to the topic, and yes i would have brought it up if you were still living in Scotland. As for being P.C, since when has it been P.C to respect people regardless of their colour or creed. Dave i have no axe to grind with you, i just wanted an answer to a simple question.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 11th Aug 2011, 01:13pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Jagz

Let me say it once more, it was an observation by me all those years ago that stuck in my mind. nothing more nothing less.
The same as having watched and listened to the Sky news journalist saying "that it was obvious that the majority of looters were black" will also stay in my mind for years to come.
The reason that sentence will stick with me is because it was said on a national TV channel and that to me was the most suprising especially in the UK where the goverments over the years seem to have browbeaten and emotionally blackmailed all and sundry into being submissive when it comes to race relations.

I grew up in a Glasgow where you were expected to speak your mind, it dosen't seem to be the norm now.

If your original post was said with tongue in cheek I most humbly apologise

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 11th Aug 2011, 02:07pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Oh just to go wan better than the Fossil Park.

Toonehied had a Auld Tollhouse, it was located at the Junctions of St James Road, Parly Rd and Dobbies Loan, it was finallly demolished c1972.

The world famous "Flying Scotman" Ratterys bike factory was adjacent to it on St James Road. Many a flying Scotsman was to be seen stoating around these parts.

I wonder what the history of this Tollgate is, like was it there before Parly Road was build and how much ye got robbed for going up the Loan?

Can see the BRS Depot and Drummond Street on the LHS side of image.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 11th Aug 2011, 02:36pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Fantastic photo Rabbie, I always wondered what that building was originally.
The last time I was inside it was to visit my doctor, this was his surgery. Dr Barclay.
That would be sometime between 67 and 69

the Rattary shop wasn't in St james rd but in a small street the other side of the Grafton picture house as it would be in this photo. Got my first bike there,cost a fortune I think about GBP12

Just this side of Drummond st was North Wallace st with Tony's fish and chip shop on the corner, we used to catch hudgies from the Parly rd side up to the main BRS depot at the corner of Baird st.
Its a wonder we are still alive

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 11th Aug 2011, 03:05pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Aye yer right Dave the "front shop" of Ratterys was on Parly Road but there was a warehoose of sorts that backed on tae St James Rd, me an a few cronnies had a den in wan of the offices when it was derelict.

Yeap the tollhouse was lately used as a Surgery, it a wonder they managed to fit any bugger inside there! I think it was built early 1800, prolly before the tenements went up in later.

We had a Dr Nurse on Parson St, then he moved to Ally Parade in early 60's.

When I was aboot 9 or 10, used to play in the Black St swings a lot and met a wee lassie called June, she stayed in Lister St on ground floor. She lived alone with her mammy and I used to go there nearly every Sunday for dinner and then to watch "Lost in Space" then back to the swing park until it the street light came on.

Lost touch with her in '67, funny how you remember wee things like this.

Used to go with a lassie called Liz Robertson, she stayed on Drummond Street and had a big brother Jim, they moved up the Royston in '72

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 11th Aug 2011, 05:28pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Dave, we'll say no more about it pal, and you can still speak your mind in Glasgow, as long as your not causing offence, or inciting violence. Common sense really.

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Dec 2016, 10:53pm
Post #45

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The late, great inimitable Rabbie would have appreciated this one...
How the unflinching art of Eardley captures Scotland at its rawest

It’s half a century since Joan Eardley died, aged just 42, but here in Scotland, where she made her home, her reputation keeps on growing.

Edinburgh’s Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art receives more requests to see her work than the work of any other artist, and now they’ve responded to popular demand with this stunning solo show.

Joan Eardley was born in England in 1921, but her family was Anglo-Scots. Her father was gassed while fighting in the trenches in the First World War, which left him with shell shock and depression.

When he subsequently killed himself, Joan’s mother took Joan and her younger sister to live with relatives in Glasgow.
Joan studied at Glasgow School of Art, where she shone. While other star pupils went south to try their luck in London, Joan stayed on in Scotland and found her voice.

"She’s such an individual artist – a bit of a loner, even," says the show’s curator, Patrick Elliott. It was this individuality, in her life and work, which made her art unique.

Eardley rented a studio in one of Glasgow’s poorest districts, Townhead.

For a young single woman in the 1950s, this was a bold, brave move. Townhead was a slum. Its tenements were condemned, its inhabitants lived in poverty. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1...d-at-its-rawest

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Feb 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.