Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cricket, England and the Aussies etc.
jimmyd
post 21st Jun 2005, 04:32am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Oh my god ,the English press are going into raptures,they have beat the Aussie's twice, a one dayer and 20/20 game.Its almost like the euphoria at the end of WW2.Now they have decided that the ashes are as good as back in Englands hands.This at the start of a series ,where you have an Aussie team , who have not had much cricket lately. What is in the English Psyche that makes them this way, how silly they will look if the Aussie team hit form and take them to the cleaners . Aussie ! Aussie ! Aussie ! Oi! Oi! Oi! biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 8th Aug 2005, 03:42am
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
Well Jimmyd I bet you were glued to your seat yesterday, what a game it certainly was one of the most exciting cricket games I have seen for awhile.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 8th Aug 2005, 04:46am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Sure was Weesmasher,unfotunately I am only visiting here in Darwin ,and have a son in Law who hates cricket. So never go to see much of it he would rather watch wee motors going round in round in circles, and he reckons cricket is boring. lol. Guess both teams have to be commended for a great display,never mind we will get them in the next one.Flintoff was awesome ,has really put some backbone into the England team.Nice to see a fellow devotee on the boards ,cricket fans are as scarce as hens teeth aroon here. BTW see you went to Williamstown High ,you still living in that area . I lived in Osbourne St for a while back in the early 60s. Great place Williamstown.,best pubs in Melbourne then lol.

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 8th Aug 2005, 09:38am
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
I have always enjoyed watching the cricket although I much prefer the one dayer's rather than the test's, but yesterday has certainly made it very interesting, roll on Thursday.

I lived in Williamstown for a number of years just off Champion Road, I now live in Point Cook.

Did you ever drink in the Rose of Australia? We had many a great night there, a couple I use to babysit for use to sing there on a Saturday night and they use to get a great crowd in.

There were some great pubs in Williamstown some have now gone, Williamstown has probably changed a lot since you were last here.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 9th Aug 2005, 12:42am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Well Weesmasher we are in trouble now ,McGrath,out Lee now doubtful,for next Test.Though talk of using another spinner, and brininging in McGill so might not be too bad.Yes I love the one day games also,though not sure on this 20/20 game.I used to drink in the Bristol and Steam packet way back when it was 6 o'clock closing time . biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 11th Aug 2005, 11:35am
Post #6

Super Lord Provost
Well Jimmyd I see that McGrath and Lee are back in the side should make it very interesting if the poms have brushed up on their fielding skills.

The Bristol is still there but there is a sign out the front of it I haven't really read the sign properly, but it looks like they are building about 30 apartments behind it and they are leaving the outside of the Bristol intact.

Haven't been to the Steam Packet for a while, but it's always been a great pub I use to get in there every Friday night and have a ball.

Most of the pubs are still there, but a lot have gone now.

Hope you get to watch the cricket last score I saw was England 1/97.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 11th Aug 2005, 12:44pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Oh my .143 for 1 at moment,am not going to watch it tonight bed is calling me . :

5 th Test
Have to do this in edit, hard to find a cricket fan on here. This crucial test match at moment is England 134 for 4 ,Shane Warne has taken 4 for 34. Go Aussie Go, 10 46 pm Aussie time
Where are you Weesmasher LOL

This post has been edited by jimmyd: 8th Sep 2005, 12:25pm

--------------------

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 8th Oct 2012, 06:31am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Well done to the West Indies in their win over Sri Lanka in the T20.
Some massive 6s by Sammy and Gayle, great to watch.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 8th Oct 2012, 08:01am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Does the fact that this topic was dead and buried for seven years suggest that Glaswegians have little or no interest in the game ?

Tombro huh.gif huh.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 8th Oct 2012, 12:15pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Used to be a regular at the West of Scotland cricket ground in Partick in the 60s.Hamilton Drive I think.
Due to the climate change in this world, you would have to be wearing flippers and a snorkel now days in the summer weather in Glasgow to watch the game. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 8th Oct 2012, 06:55pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (tombro @ 8th Oct 2012, 09:16am) *
Does the fact that this topic was dead and buried for seven years suggest that Glaswegians have little or no interest in the game ?

Tombro huh.gif huh.gif

Glasgow has never been a cricket loving city but that doesn't mean no one likes the game. I'm sure the West of Scotland Cricket Club has been going for a very long time so they must have a following of supporters who watch their games. My younger brother was educated at the High School of Glasgow in the late 50's to early 60's and I know they had a strong cricketing tradition. Cricket audiences in England have been falling for many years now in the County game but the new shorter game has brought new fans, with many grounds now installing floodlights to enable limited over games to be played and I'm sure I read of some grounds pulling in full houses with the fans enjoying the very fast pace of the LO game, so it's not all doom and glom

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
tombro
post 9th Oct 2012, 08:46am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Good reply, Doug !

As an ex-pat living on Oz for over fifty years, I am a cricket fan ! I even had a bet that Scotland would out-perform Ireland in the recent T20 World Cup, although it's a form of the game that I think belittles cricket !

I remember passing through Anniesland on a number 20 bus bound for Drumchapel in the late 1950s and seeing some 'flannelled-fools' playing on the gorounds there !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
zascot
post 9th Oct 2012, 10:33am
Post #13

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Trouble is cricket was not played in the majority of Glasgow schools. Our school had football or cross country running ie football you played on the field and the latter you ran round the field. I have been in S.A. for 42 years and now love cricket, especially the atmosphere at the grounds.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
*Duns Stoshious*
post 23rd Oct 2012, 09:18am
Post #14

QUOTE (zascot @ 9th Oct 2012, 11:48am) *
Trouble is cricket was not played in the majority of Glasgow schools. Our school had football or cross country running ie football you played on the field and the latter you ran round the field. I have been in S.A. for 42 years and now love cricket, especially the atmosphere at the grounds.

Like yourself I had no interest in cricket until I came to Australia. My wife from North America also became a fan. In Glasgow it was considered a "girls game". When I first went to St. Gerards They had a rugby and a cricket team. As the school was in the throes of becoming a "secondary modern" comprehensive school, and no qualifications were subsequently needed to enter, any and every sport was dismissed in the name of "fitba". The schools academic record died along with the sports as the influx could not get their mind around the rules let alone spell the words.
I was on the out field on one of the last cricket games at the school when responding to "catch it!"

I did right on the forehead and was rendered unconscious.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 26th Nov 2012, 05:52am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Oh dear got our backs against the wall in the last day of the test against the Aussies, dont think we can even manage a draw sad.gif

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.