Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Food For Thought, For the people who cant admit they have always been wrong
ktv
post 23rd Feb 2015, 10:20am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
so Dave you post loads of irrelevant "facts" from a right wing blog and expect everyone to suddenly disbelieve what we've all known for years about the oppression of blacks during apartheid.

ye your beloved x-gov provided training for other places military, while still jailing and murdering its own opponents at home....but that's ok in your eyes cause they had electricity.

100s if not 1000s where murdered by the state authorities during clamp downs on anyone who went against the racist state but youl forgive all that simple because they sold fish to a land locked country.

youd also have us believe there where no shanty towns under apartheid which is nothing more than lies on your part.

the only person who is trying to deflect away from the horrors of your new homes history is you with the most irrelevant set of unproven figure imaginable.

your "opinion" that it was all rosy and cheery for the blacks in south Africa under apartheid, that they never had it so good simply because they had more money than the other starving Africans is nothing but laughable and also probably untrue...

so where is your "proof"?
all you've done is provide a link to a nonsense blog claiming irrelevant figures.

im sure we could all pick a country like Libya, iran or north korea and throw out some nice numbers to make it sound a great place but most people with half a brain cell would realise its nothing but nonsense... but you carry on anyway if it keeps your pecker up.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ktv
post 23rd Feb 2015, 10:26am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 23rd Feb 2015, 08:29am) *
The only reason sanctions were imposed was because with the fall of communism in the Soviet Union, SA was no longer needed to act as a defense against the spread of communism in Africa and so could be sacrificed, if the Soviet Union still existed then the Apartheid government would have continued.

so in other words the west turned a blind eye to the horrors of apartheid simply because we need South Africa's support.

nothing we didn't already know.

if only youd been there to tell the world about fish exports to land locked countries and electricity production then the sanctions may never happened eh biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 23rd Feb 2015, 11:12am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
ktv, you normally come across as a fairly well balanced individual, but when it comes to SA there is a definite blind spot, I think because of having no personal experience and watching to much BBC.
And yes the lesser of two evils was Apartheid, as long as SA was needed to do the CIA's dirty work it was tolerated, but dont think for one minute you in the UK had any say in whether Sanctions were imposed or not, like everybody else the UK danced and still dance to the American beat. Its the only way the UK government can pretend its still a world class power.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 23rd Feb 2015, 12:44pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Dave I have said before (even in this thread) that SA had a lot of things going for it, even during apartheid but there is simply no excuse for apartheid even if it is utopia.

yes they did loads of things right like every other country but they had fundamental laws against the majority of the people in their country which cannot be ignored.

there is and will never be an excuse for their actions toward the "blacks" and they where rightly condemned for them.

I happily condemn any other country that does the same

+Quote Post
zascot
post 23rd Feb 2015, 04:14pm
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
KTV when you reply like that I could have a conversation with you but sarcasm and cheap digs get people worked up, that may be your intention. If I had been black in the apartheid days as I have said before I would have been a terrorist. There are 5 shareholders in our company and 2 of them are black, 1 is Afrikaans and 2 are expats. The 2 blacks are not to make up the percentages but because they are good engineers and are not work shy. I travel throughout Africa and can assure you that some of the countries treat their own kind like dogs. It pains me to see tinned food labled as (donated by the people of Denmark) for sale in shops in various countries, but thats Africa.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 24th Feb 2015, 08:36am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Zas if people get worked up over sarcasm then that their own affair mate.

its good that your company is owned by a mixed group, something that wouldn't have been allowed in the olde days no doubt.

I know some countries treat people like dogs but its not usually the colour of their skin that causes it.

+Quote Post
benny
post 24th Feb 2015, 01:20pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 22nd Feb 2015, 09:55pm) *
Would you support the actions of the IRA during the 70's and 80's? Pretty much the same argument imho.

Well, not in my humble opinion. Catholics in Northern Ireland may have been discriminated against by the Protestant majority, but their plight was a long way away from that of the blacks and mixed race inhabitants of South Africa. The apartheid state in South Africa was founded on racism, and it's roots lay in the absurd racial theories of German Nationalism. No-one can accuse the British government of basing their policies on Aryan supremacy.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 24th Feb 2015, 01:58pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Theres always been apartheid in every country the British colonised, the big mistake the Afrikaaners made was in making it law, the subtle discrimination practiced until fairly recently by all the other ex British colonies served them well until it was no longer needed

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 26th Feb 2015, 02:25am
Post #24

QUOTE (benny @ 24th Feb 2015, 01:37pm) *
Well, not in my humble opinion. Catholics in Northern Ireland may have been discriminated against by the Protestant majority, but their plight was a long way away from that of the blacks and mixed race inhabitants of South Africa. The apartheid state in South Africa was founded on racism, and it's roots lay in the absurd racial theories of German Nationalism. No-one can accuse the British government of basing their policies on Aryan supremacy.

Actually their roots were in the doctrine of the Dutch Reform Church, which predated German racial theories by several hundred years, in proving
by manipulating the bible, as many Calvanists are wont to, to prove the African Black is in fact inferior to the White.

You can't argue with G-D!

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 1st Mar 2015, 06:14am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Heads they win tails they win, the SA government was pressured for years by the 'Greeny Beanies' myself included to put a stop to the South African 'flower', plastic bags blowing in the wind, stuck on tree's fences, hedges in fact anywhere and everywhere. They finally reluctantly capitulated and slapped a Tax on free plastic bags handed out mainly by the supermarkets.
They also stipulated that plastic bags had to be a minimum type and thickness and that would ensure almost 100 percent recyclability.
Now the SA plastics industry are complaining they dont get enough scrap plastic bags.
The SA government? their treasury are laughing all the way to the bank as they have gained an extra 2 BILLION in revenue since the tax was introduced.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 1st Mar 2015, 03:01pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
I wish the scots gov had decided to take the 5p's for the plastic bags instead of letting the shops keep them.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.