Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World Cup 2014, Comments, tips, players to watch for, who are you supporting
Dimairt
post 8th Jun 2014, 09:22pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (dugald @ 8th Jun 2014, 08:22pm) *
Durachdan, I'm not a great football fan but I do like to watch the World Cup. Who am I going to support? It adds something of course to one's entertainment if one watches the games with a wild or unconscious support for some team or other. I would have supported Scotland as I always have whenever they made it into the championship, but in their absence I'll cheer for the other British team, England, and hope they win. Failing England, my support would switch to Germany, and should they lose out I'd probably stop watching the games until the final.

Who do I think will win? If I were betting, I'd bet on Spain. How long into the opening game will it take before the commentator mentions England and 1966? I doubt it will even be mentioned in our National News which will be covering the games. Even if it is mentioned, it wouldn't bother me one iota... I celebrated England's win in 1966, and I'd happily do so again. Let me say that if Scotland ever won the World Cup I'd never stop talking about it. I think there is some of "the lady doth protest too much..." about those who make fun of the English tendency to recall their world cup victory.

You're right Dugald: I mean Cel'ic fans rarely, if ever, mention winning the European Cup almost fifty years ago and as a Partick Thistle man myself, we're practically sworn to secrecy about winning the League Cup in whenever it was.
I'm just hoping for a good tournament,:lots of goals, a few surprises along the way and lots of close-ups of attractive, young female Brazilian fans. Is that too much to ask?

Durachdan,

Eddy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 9th Jun 2014, 04:37pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 8th Jun 2014, 10:39pm) *
I'm just hoping for a good tournament,:lots of goals, a few surprises along the way and lots of close-ups of attractive, young female Brazilian fans. Is that too much to ask?

Durachdan,

Eddy

You haven't said who you think will win yet Eddy and who you think the dark horse will be?

Two posts from you that mention "attractive, young female Brazilian fans".........Are you (like me) at that funny age? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 10th Jun 2014, 07:55am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 9th Jun 2014, 05:54pm) *
You haven't said who you think will win yet Eddy and who you think the dark horse will be?

Two posts from you that mention "attractive, young female Brazilian fans".........Are you (like me) at that funny age? laugh.gif

Spain to win it, England as the 'dark horse' even if it's just that they're due a good World Cup and of course, you can "never write off the Germans."
As to the young women, well, while I am at that 'funny age,' it has been a long-standing joke in our house that the cameramen tend to linger on the crowd somewhat more when Brazil are playing.

Durachdan,

Eddy

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Jun 2014, 07:57am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
When it comes to young Latin-American girls, I have always been at a funny age ! wub.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 10th Jun 2014, 11:10am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
There are a few stories here about the unrest in Brazil around the cost of the world cup and one I was reading on Sunday where the reporter asked the question wondering if the Brazilian treasury was plundered to the same extent as the SA one was, they, FIFA come in bearing this wonderful gift called the world cup and then make all sorts of extortionate demands on the host country all the while making sure at least 99 percent of the profits end up back at FIFA headquarters.
If Brazil are anything like us they will have built stadiums that will be nothing more than white elephants after the cup is finished.
We built or revamped ten stadiums with the cost in the billions of dollars, of the ten only one, the one in Joburg makes a profit today, the others dont even cover their daily running costs.

Blatter will not make any appearance unless he is introduced as MR PRESIDENT and will not get out of the car unless it is to walk on a red carpet.

Back on topic, Who cares who wins the cup all I know is that the Brazillian people have lost.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Jun 2014, 05:08pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/emergency-plans-...-wins-world-cup

Better safe than sorry, I suppose ! laugh.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 10th Jun 2014, 06:13pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Jun 2014, 06:25pm) *

We can send them down the electricity we save when we turn our telly's off. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Jun 2014, 08:21am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
BBC breakfast sports news managed to get '66 into the script this morning, how many more to go rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 11th Jun 2014, 08:58am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (ashfield @ 11th Jun 2014, 10:38am) *
BBC breakfast sports news managed to get '66 into the script this morning, how many more to go rolleyes.gif

Why dont you try and keep a rough tally Ash? or would it be suicide time come the end of the tournament laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 11th Jun 2014, 12:18pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 11th Jun 2014, 09:38am) *

I would guess it will be more than 66. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Jun 2014, 12:30pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 11th Jun 2014, 10:15am) *
Why dont you try and keep a rough tally Ash? or would it be suicide time come the end of the tournament laugh.gif

Cannae afford the calculator batteries tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Jun 2014, 12:32pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 11th Jun 2014, 01:35pm) *
I would guess it will be more than 66. laugh.gif

Aye.............per day rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 11th Jun 2014, 01:15pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Time to get the Spanish flag from the top of the wardrobe. Hasn't been used for 2 years now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 12th Jun 2014, 06:04am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Jun 2014, 02:32pm) *
Time to get the Spanish flag from the top of the wardrobe. Hasn't been used for 2 years now.

Do you not mean Spanish fly? wink.gif

Really got bad vibes about this world cup, regarding a disaster.
Hopefully things will be okay.
I fancy Holland to do well this time.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 12th Jun 2014, 06:55am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Too old to be bothered with that stuff !

I hope Holland have cleaned up their act, from being the dirtiest side in 2010 World Cup.

--------------------

+Quote Post

23 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.