Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rugby, Anything related to the gentlemans game?
odeonclubboy
post 9th Nov 2011, 05:18pm
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,134
i left glasgow at he age of 11 in 1959 and went to a rather posh grammar school in cheshire where they played....wait for it RUGBY!!! now this was great for a boy straight out of glasgows east end...legalised thuggery! the uaual reason given in england for the game not being played by kids from the big cities is lack of playing fields but my reccollection of most glasgow secondary schools is that the had playing fields eton would have been proud of...so why is it a gentlemans game in scotland? i went to uni in wales and that was another matter...coal miners dockers...farmers the size of battleships...now that was a hard game!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 9th Nov 2011, 05:58pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Rugby~+~Glasgow~=~it just doesnt mix does it?

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 9th Nov 2011, 06:02pm
Post #3

Special Visitor
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 9th Nov 2011, 05:24pm) *

no it doesnt...i dont even think i had heard of the game untill i moved to england and being at a rather genlemany grammer school i assumed thats what is was...a gentlemans game and then i went to uni in wales......and my god it was a working mans game and played hard!

+Quote Post
Elma
post 10th Nov 2011, 01:26am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 9th Nov 2011, 05:24pm) *

I went to one of the schools in Glasgow, Hillhead High, where the boys only played rugby, football was not an option. I have been a rugby fan since then, going to all the international matches as well as local games before coming to Canada and followed the World Cup from New Zealand recently.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 10th Nov 2011, 06:33am
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Rugby is the national sport here. 16 year olds built like brick sh** houses.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 10th Nov 2011, 06:40am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
My youngest grandson is a natural sportsman he plays football for a club on saturdays during the season, he also plays for the school football team, is a member of the schools swimming team is getting coached at golf and tennis at school and now the school is starting to put pressure on him to play rugby.
His mother and father are doing all they can to stop this simply because it is too physically demanding and there are stories every year of schoolkids being left paralysed by bad tackles or getting caught underneath rucks and mauls.
There are also stories of school coaches giving the young players performance enhansing drugs because the pressure on the coaches and schools to suceed in SA at rugby is huge.
I for one hope he never plays this so called sport.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Nov 2011, 08:09am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I went to High School of Glasgow, where rugby was compulsory up to the 3rd year. Not being of a sporting disposition, I did not carry on once it became optional.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 10th Nov 2011, 10:15am
Post #8

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Could`nt agree with you more Dave. The size of some of the rugby kids makes you wonder what they are taking. fortunately my sons school had a choice rugby or football and he chose the latter.
At my high school in Glasgow we played rugby with a twist ie no ref, no pitch, no ball. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 10th Nov 2011, 10:32am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (zascot @ 10th Nov 2011, 10:41am) *
Could`nt agree with you more Dave. The size of some of the rugby kids makes you wonder what they are taking. fortunately my sons school had a choice rugby or football and he chose the latter.
At my high school in Glasgow we played rugby with a twist ie no ref, no pitch, no ball. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

At St Mungoes that was called TIG, when we went to St Rochs we were to sopisticated to play Tig, it was called awrite you an me efter school. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 10th Nov 2011, 12:23pm
Post #10

Special Visitor
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Nov 2011, 07:35am) *
I went to High School of Glasgow, where rugby was compulsory up to the 3rd year. Not being of a sporting disposition, I did not carry on once it became optional.

really bilbo!!!! i took the entrance exam for glasgow high but because we moved to england i never went...i bet you got teased in shettleston going there!

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Nov 2011, 01:02pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Teased? I was lucky not to get beaten up ! I moved to Mount Vernon around 1954 to be among the other toffs ! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 13th Nov 2011, 09:58pm
Post #12

Hi Bilbo were you one of the ruffians in the No11 bus from Bath Street out to Auld Anniesland?
Do you rember the communal big steam bath everyone had to go into starkers after freezing to death outside? Plus that big bar of red carbolic soap - I can almost smell the stuff to this day!
It toughens you up I seem to recall a certain games master of those times telling us on a freezing cold dark November. If you were first out to Old Anniesland you got to grab and kick a rugby ball!!!
Some of the slackards got a tram!

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 25th Dec 2011, 11:06am
Post #13

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Rugby in New Zealand is more than just the national sport - it is almost a religion!

When I arrived here in 1963 as a new immigrant, I had no interest in rugby, having been a big football fan in Glasgow. I married a rugby player and when our son was 6, we enrolled him with a soccer (football) club - in those days boys could only play rugby from the age of 8. Dean played soccer for a year in NZ, two years in Sydney, then back for another year in NZ, on the outskirts of Christchurch. Being a country school, the main sport was of course rugby and my son got tormented and called a sissy because he played soccer,. Eventually he gave it up and went to rugby. He could run fast and played several representative games before giving rugby up to devote his time to learning speedway bike racing (at the age of 12).

From around 1979, I became a devoted rugby fan myself, as did all my family. Our local rugby club is Canterbury, and the Crusaders in the Super Competition. My sister and I had bought tickets to the Scotland vs Argentina World cup game, due to be held in Christchurch in September. Our stadium, however, was wrecked in the February earthquake and when it was announced the stadium could not be repaired in time for the World Cup, we lost all the five pool games and two quarter-finals - a big disappointment for a rugby-mad city. Undaunted, we bought tickets to see the Scotland game in Wellington. We thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from the final result of course! Great to see all the kilted Scots and we chatted to many of them.

It was good to have the World Cup in New Zealand - it will probably never happen again as we cannot generate enough income for the IRB! The icing on the cake of course was the All Blacks winning the final.

Can't wait for the 2012 Super 15 to start in February. The Crusaders made it all the way to the final last year, despite playing no games at their home stadium. The fact that they lost in the final didn't matter. They showed true professionalism and strength of character and we were proud of them.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Dec 2011, 07:04am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 10th Nov 2011, 06:59am) *
My youngest grandson is a natural sportsman he plays football for a club on saturdays during the season, he also plays for the school football team, is a member of the schools swimming team is getting coached at golf and tennis at school and now the school is starting to put pressure on him to play rugby.
His mother and father are doing all they can to stop this simply because it is too physically demanding and there are stories every year of schoolkids being left paralysed by bad tackles or getting caught underneath rucks and mauls.
There are also stories of school coaches giving the young players performance enhansing drugs because the pressure on the coaches and schools to suceed in SA at rugby is huge.
I for one hope he never plays this so called sport.

Just an add on to this story about my grandson despite being the school football team captain for his age and against the wishes of his family it looks as if he is going to be forced to play for the shool rugby team next year.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 27th Dec 2011, 09:21am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Scots Kiwi Lass,

Great to see you back and posting. Just hope the latest wee problems in Christchurch are soon over.

When I first came to Australia in 1961, I was considered a sissy at my school because I played football (soccer) as my school was a totally Rugby League School. But, my friends and I stood firm and, within four years, we had our own soccer team (not a very good one) so now I started to play Rugby League because I now had a choice ! It was Rugby League at school during the week and football on the weekends.

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.