Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Womens World Cup Soccer, Including the 2015 tournament
angel
post 10th Jul 2011, 08:00pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
What a game, brazil was winning in extra time but at the last minute the USA scored and then it was penalty shots... USA won , so that 's them in the semi finals against France. This game the American team played most of the time with 10 players . once again a great game biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Glasgow Girl
post 10th Jul 2011, 08:04pm
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,419
Would appear so angel, I was just reading about it.

--------------------
Triumph is temporary, glory is eternal.

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 10th Jul 2011, 11:35pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
Crewsy has watched the Womens World Cup on TV, bbc 2 and eurosport. Even when its women the inglish commentators still get carried away. Yesterday England were within 5 minutes of the semi final yet still managed to lose a late equaliser and then get beat on penalties.

Its just like the mens football.

My money's on France.

Edit, just in case you think Im at the madam I am watching the Womens US Open Golf Championship on Sky Sports 1, 2 Yanks are in the lead followed by 4 Japs. Play is suspended due to lightening.

+Quote Post
angel
post 11th Jul 2011, 12:05am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Edit, just in case you think Im at the madam I am watching the Womens US Open Golf Championship on Sky Sports 1, 2 Yanks are in the lead followed by 4 Japs. Play is suspended due to lighteni
....... I don't know why you would think , "about the madam bit " unsure.gif anyway I think from what I hear ,you are probably right about France , although I did think that Brazil would take this game,
but I must say that I was Happy with the final result .

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 11th Jul 2011, 12:06am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Angel it was a really exciting game. What did you think of the goal that was scored then a replay was given .I think that was awful.However credit to the Us team they never gave up and it sure paid off for them.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
angel
post 11th Jul 2011, 12:32am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Isobel @ 10th Jul 2011, 10:59pm) *
Angel it was a really exciting game. What did you think of the goal that was scored then a replay was given .I think that was awful.However credit to the Us team they never gave up and it sure paid off for them.

I think it should never have been allowed Isobel , but I thought that the refs. did play a very tight game and that U.S.
team just kept battling on right to the end
despite having only ten players, they deserved the win...... The game was more like a Marathon , it's any wonder nobody collapsed smile.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 11th Jul 2011, 12:35am
Post #7

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
I have watched a lot of the womens world cup soccer and it has all been thrilling and honest. The women have not got into all the pushing and shoving at corner kicks. neither have they got into the falling down when someone breezes past them. An odd one perhaps abut generally played in grrrrrrreat spirit by the women. Better than watching a bunch of petty millionaires trying to con us. Look forward to the remaining games.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 11th Jul 2011, 12:57am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Good of you to open this Topic, Angel. I'm a fervent viewer of women's international football because 1) as you probabably have read here somewhere my younger sister played for Scotland in the first ever Scotland v England Ladies International at Bellevue Manchester and 2) I love big burdz tongue.gif
I was sorry to see England go out on penalties but equally, or more so, sorry to see Germany go out (0:1 after 108 minutes) against Japan and hoped till the last 30 seconds that Germany would equalize (right then was when Mary's mum came in shouting ... she thinks I'm deaf ... about a problem with her printer, so I missed the last nail biting 30 seconds rolleyes.gif
The teams do play their hearts out and I really think it's about time they were getting more attention ... but that might come in time.
Nice to see all the cars again driving through the streets here with the German flags fixed to the windows. The girls certainly get the support that they deserve over here.
I must ask my sister; now 64, what ever happened to the team that she and her mates took to Manchester. Did the idea eventually taper off? Did Scotland put up a team for the 2011 qualifications at all?
Canada in 2015 Angel ... got you all excited, eh? biggrin.gif

http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/liveyou...aign/index.html

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
angel
post 11th Jul 2011, 01:50am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Tomi , thanks for your reply , but I'm thinking that it's about time
you got those women in your life ,under control sad.gif tell Mary's mother to fix
her own printer. laugh.gif
I am really suprised about the contributions from the members on this topic, I thought it would be a dead horse.
so I thank yourself . / Andy , Isobel ,Crewsy and Glasgow Girl. ,
it's great to read about soccer , minus religion .

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 11th Jul 2011, 02:36am
Post #10

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Angel always had a soft spot for womens soccer. I had the first womens team in ottawa and we played in montreal about 120 miles from ottawa for two years till we got enough teams to form a league in ottawa. That would be about thirty years ago and of course womens soccer has just skyrocketed. I had coached mens and kids and womens soccer was so refreshing with their attitude to each other. It was just wonderful

+Quote Post
angel
post 11th Jul 2011, 03:51am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
hello Andy , I have never been involved with womens soccer only mens , we did'nt have a daughter ,but our sons played when they were old
enough to do so and of course , Ice hockey , but now I have a grandaughter who plays soccer , she is a nice little player , and also two
nieces and they enjoy the game very much and over the years the popularity of the womans soccer has been phenominal and it can only get better , " so you guys had better be on your toes " biggrin.gif biggrin.gif cheers.

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 11th Jul 2011, 10:14am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Watched Australia versus Sweden last night, hoping for an Aussie win !

Not to be, but I reckon the goal that Ellyse Perry (a dual representative in both football and cricket at the age of twenty) scored for the Aussies is one of the best ever scored by any Aussie in a World Cup Game.

We've only got a young team, including a sixteen year old, so watch out for the Matildas in 2015.

By the way, we're coached by a Scotsman in Tom Sirmani. Don't know his background but, at least, he's giving the youngsters a go. That's a very unusual thing in Aussie Sport !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

(Glasgow born and living in Oz, so not too proud to support the Aussies when the Scots don't qualify !)

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
angel
post 11th Jul 2011, 03:02pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder

Well Tombro , there is always 2015 here in Canada , you just never know , EH
what to expect . biggrin.gif
I support Scotland no matter what the competiton ,as long as they are not playing against Canada. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 11th Jul 2011, 03:38pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
I was gutted for the Aussie girls , they try so hard and yes Tombro that goal was a ripper I was watching a docco about the team , and was amused to hear their team song , it is a variation of the Celtic song.. I wonder if the coach had anything to do with that. I really enjoy watching the women play , my daughter has represented North Queensland , and also played and managed the Australian Army , women's team.. The US team have been brilliant this past decade .

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
hubert
post 11th Jul 2011, 05:08pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
I watched most of this game although at the time Brazil got their second goal I had to go oot.
With the US team down to 10 players, almost said men there, LoL, I said to my wife thats it then the US are oot Brazil are through.
During the game I was annoyed with the ref and the assistant ref mainly because of the Brazil penalty that Solo saved yet had to be retaken, I thought like most they had said Solo had came off her line just before the penalty kick was taken which is encroachment, found oot later it was a US player that came into the box just as the kick was taken therefor encroachment on that players fault.
When I came back a couple of hours later my said the US did it, I looked her and said what do you mean, the rest is history.
That cross from Megan Rapinoe was terrific it was her left foot and she is a natural right footed player oot on the left.
She came on as a sub in the second half and I noticed although a few mistakes on and off the ball that her dead ball deliveries were top notch, so I dub her the US womens David Beckam.
What a terrific equalizer by the tall USA player to make it 2-2.
Back in the 70s I coached youth teams and a womens team in an organized league, and can tell you many were new to the game, but what effort and enthusiasm they applied it was something!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.