Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2012 Olympics, Very much the LONDON olympics!
Doug1
post 10th Sep 2012, 07:38am
Post #406

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
What a great summer with the Olympic and Paralypics all of it stunning and breathtaking especially the opening and closing ceremonies but now it's all over except for today's victory parade which is sure to be spectacular with all the decorated floats with our Olympic stars on board. Not to be missed

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Sep 2012, 10:02am
Post #407

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Wish I'd seen the closing ceremony ... but when that big burd o' mine has control of the remote and want's to watch a soppy film .... well, what can you do? rolleyes.gif
Pictures in this morning's paper were impressive ... especially this -

Attached Image

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 10th Sep 2012, 12:42pm
Post #408

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Sorry you missed it T -it was stunning to watch and just now huge crowds are lining the streets of London for the athletes parade.....
Cannot believe they are all over now but they provided an absolutely brilliant summer of sport and now its on to Rio and am sure they will provide a brilliant games .

Highlights of the closing ceremony

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Sep 2012, 03:27pm
Post #409

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Thanks Ross. Described as the "Greatest Olympics and Paralympics in History" What a feather in Britain's cap. thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 11th Sep 2012, 04:13pm
Post #410

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Aye that's it all over. Daytime tv schedules back to normal. In 2016 when it all starts up again will we feel the same as we felt this year ? time will tell. Go forward 6 months and I wonder how many of our great Olympians names will roll of our tongues, anyway I for one have enjoyed all the razzmatazz and excitement and I suppose Andy Murray's win at flushing Meadow just rounds it all off nicely smile.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Elma
post 11th Sep 2012, 10:09pm
Post #411

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Next Olympics are in Sochi, Russia in 2014.

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 15th Sep 2012, 01:34am
Post #412

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Fantastic ovation for Scotlands Olympic athletes in Glasgow .

Scotlands Olympic Hero's

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
kenb
post 15th Sep 2012, 01:38am
Post #413

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
very well said doug post 410 tongue.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Sep 2012, 06:40am
Post #414

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Well, the Olympics ended in Glasgow yesterday with a parade of Scottish and British medal winners, touring from Kelvingrove to George Square. See the photos posted by Ross above.

Andy Murray was true-to-form and shunned his home city of Glasgow yet again, with his managers claiming he was too tired to stand on an open-top bus as it paraded through the city. Murray has always publicly shunned any association with the city of his birth, instead preferring to be linked to Dunblane. His absence from the parade of athletes was a tangible blow to the parade itself, as well as a huge disappointment to the kids who turned out to see the country's most famous spotsman.

Murray's handlers have instead planned a triumphant parade in Dunblane tomorrow. I'm sure he will make that!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 15th Sep 2012, 11:46am
Post #415

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
Aye, disappointing that auld sour-puss couldn't make it.....

..... but it wasn't all bad news though....

Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond booed by crowds during interview on stage at Glasgow's #TeamGB Olympic parade http://t.co/9ZRg56RY

@BBCNews - BBC News (UK)

18 hours ago

laugh.gif thumbup.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Sep 2012, 12:09pm
Post #416

Administrator
Group Icon
I'm not surprised: with the disappointing crowd – I'd estimate about 4000 (not including the statues) – there was plenty of opporunity for a few planted rabble-rousers to make themselvers heard! Don't forget: there's a fierce battle for control of the Commonwealth Games going on – the booing was probably organised by the usual suspects! wink.gif

Ah ... the joys of sport!

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 15th Sep 2012, 12:15pm
Post #417

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
You can dismiss it as such if you like but I have a friend who attended the Edinburgh Tattoo the other week and was much amused to hear a spontaneous eruption of booing fron the queing public when Salmond exited his limo to attend the event.
More placements bussed through from Glesga? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Jul 2016, 07:28pm
Post #418

Administrator
Group Icon
No real surprise, but despicable all the same:

Danny Boyle claims Tories tried to axe NHS celebration in London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony

Danny Boyle has claimed his team came under pressure while planning the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics to drop the sequence about the NHS.

The director's comments are to be shown in a BBC documentary about the Olympics, and will likely fuel suspicions that Jeremy Hunt, who was culture secretary at the time and is now the health secretary, tried to remove the tribute to the health service.

According to The Times, Tessa Jowell, Mr Hunt's predecessor as culture secretary, tells the programme: “I know that the new secretary of state [Mr Hunt took over in May, 2010]...wanted to be very hands on in the artistic content, and I think that was quite a tense time and Danny was absolutely clear that this was his show.”

Although he did not name Mr Hunt, Mr Boyle reportedly told the programme: “We did have some stand-offs.

“The forces wanted us to cancel one of the sequences, cut the NHS sequences is what they wanted to cut. They wanted us to reduce that or cut it or make them just walk around the ­stadium.”

He added: “That was against the very nature of what we’d built right from the very beginning. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...tml#commentsDiv

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.