Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2012 Olympics, Very much the LONDON olympics!
angel
post 12th May 2012, 06:35pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (angel @ 12th May 2012, 04:50pm) *
I read that the winter olympics' which was held in Vancouver 2010,
will cost the taxpayer $1.5 Billion eg if they are lucky , costs are still comming in and could well reach , $5. Billion .
I'm not against the Olympics , just the cost . but I suppose every Tom ,Dick or Harry has to get in there and make a finiancial killing.

I was'nt allowed to edit the word " financial '

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
angel
post 12th May 2012, 07:15pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Hello Scotsman ,
do you think that anyone would be interested in paying 40 pounds
to see the womens olympic soccer game if it was two different teams ?
-----------------------------------

You just really have to wonder where all that money actually goes.... I mean how much does it take to organise events.... £24000000000?? Its an incredible waste of money when we are all being told the country is skint.

I read in the papers this week that almost all the tickets for the Hampden football matches have not been sold.... can you imagine anyone wanting to pay £40 to see a womens match between Colombia and Korea??

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
angel
post 12th May 2012, 08:01pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (angel @ 12th May 2012, 05:33pm) *
I was'nt allowed to edit the word " financial '

QUOTE (angel @ 12th May 2012, 04:50pm)
I read that the winter olympics' which was held in Vancouver 2010,
will cost the taxpayer $1.5 Billion eg if they are lucky , costs are still comming in and could well reach , $5. Billion .
I'm not against the Olympics , just the cost . but I suppose every Tom ,Dick or Harry has to get in there and make a finiancial killing.

Just to clarify , the monies I've stated are what the taxpayer still owes for the games .

[edit] Security CostsC$200 million was expected to be spent for security, which was organized through a special body, the Integrated Security Unit, of which the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) was the lead agency; other government agencies such as the Vancouver Police Department, Canada Border Services Agency, Canadian Forces, and police agencies across Canada. The Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) also played a role. That number was later revealed to be in the region of $1 billion, an amount in excess of five times what was originally estimated.

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th May 2012, 11:39am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
When the Olympic Games become grounds for a full force Military Exercise over the Capital City then it must be about time to snuff the Torch and call it a day.
On the other hand, of course, it's a good opportunity to conduct a military exercise without causing a diplomatic incident.
As for the cost involved, we mustn't forget that we pay for our military whether it is being exercised or not, so adding the cost of such to the overall cost of the Olympics is an excercise in itself.
Still, as I said, when security for The Games involve Army, Navy and Air Force then it's time to reconsider if it's worth the risk to the lives of all concerned to watch, as Bill says, some big hefty lassies heavin' a metal ball through the air.
One consideration might be an audience-free Games on television and iPads etc with apps at 10 quid ( ¤s or $s) a napper and Tshirts and souveniers on eBay etc..

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th May 2012, 12:46pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
As one board member who is hoping to be there (God willing) on the penultimate night watching the Boxing Finals, I am happy to put on record, any opportunity to put two fingers up to the terrorists, is alright by me.

OK it IS sad we need all this extra security these days - but the alternative is "you win nasty terrorists" - we wouldn't have ANY large events if they were to have their way.

Of course I sincerely hope they do not target the venue for the boxing!

PS The monies is meant to be 'costing' has to balanced against all the money London will be making. THAT final figure will NEVER be known.
Look at that monstrosity of a tower which Boris has decided to charge £15 a throw for.
London will be taking a HUGE slice of the kickback cake - whilst everyone else gets the scraps - as per usual.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th May 2012, 12:56pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I think you are wrong ( what´s new ?), Davy. The terrorists do not have to plant a bomb, or do anything else - they have won, i.e. they have instilled terror, when citizens of UK have to live in what is rapidly becoming a police state.

Also, the cost (and it is a cost) is borne by all UK taxpayers, and very few, including ordinary Londoners will benefit.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th May 2012, 01:02pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
I will admit they've won a few battles - but they will NEVER win the WAR.

This is still a 'free' country.
Long may it be so.

(Well, free - up to a point lol see other threads!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th May 2012, 01:11pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Try entering UK and see how free it feels. I just did it twice within 2 weeks and I didn´t even want to enter, just change planes.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 13th May 2012, 04:13pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Thankfully I dont have to tongue.gif

Haven't done any 'jet setting' for some time, bilbo - but I do recall having to queue for four hours, to get into Fort Lauderdale, last time! Something we cannot avoid, these days, sadly sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th May 2012, 07:55pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Im sure our many members will be overcome with emulsion watching the Olympic bigwigs on the One Show down at Cornwall.The Torch is lit.70 days to go.Yawn!!
It is an English show, no two ways.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th May 2012, 12:23pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
If the torch was to pass by my house i wouldn't get out of my chair to watch it.

It is coming through Beith though, they had better take care whist coming through Ayrshire, even Santas parades get ambushed by neds in these parts.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 20th May 2012, 01:44pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
lol they need to watch out for the 'Beith Bully Boys' eh, jagz? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th May 2012, 04:20pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (wee davy @ 20th May 2012, 01:42pm) *
lol they need to watch out for the 'Beith Bully Boys' eh, jagz? laugh.gif

There is a high wall about 60ft where a lot of neds gather in Beith to throw cans, bottles, and stones etc, at passing vehicles, i think this will be an ideal position to ambush the torch, yes i can see it now, a group of about a dozen neds armed with super soakers, that should be enough to extinguish the flame, i may go into the loft and find one of my kids old soakers and join in.......naw on second thoughts i'm too old to run away, i'll easily get caught by the polis biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 24th May 2012, 11:13pm
Post #44

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Apparently, tickets went on sale yesterday for the London 2012 Olympic football games at Hampden Park. Anyone fancy paying up to £40 to watch women's football: Colombia v Korea DPR?

Glasgow City Council released a statement to coincide with the ticket release; the statement said, and I kid you not: "Hampden Park will play host to some of the world's best men's and women's [football] teams over five days of exciting competition".

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 31st May 2012, 06:53pm
Post #45

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A motion filed at Holyrood today over the Hampden Olympic Saltire ban:
*S4M-03130 Kenneth Gibson

The Saltire Should Fly over Hampden during the Olympics

That the Parliament strongly disagrees with the International Olympic Committee’s ban on flying the Saltire over Hampden Park during the 2012 Olympics; highlights that Scotland’s national flag flies above Hampden for 365 days of the year and believes that it has the right to remain flying proudly during the eight Olympic football matches to be played in Scotland’s national stadium; agrees with Alyn Smith MEP when he states that "The Olympic Games is one of the biggest events in world sport and should be a real festival of global culture and achievement and international companionship. It’s completely ridiculous and unacceptable that Scotland’s national flag is going to be pulled down from its iconic place flying over Scotland’s national stadium”, and looks forward to Scotland competing in the 2016 Olympics in its own right as an independent nation.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.