Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

149 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Celtic Football Club, Scottish football
hubert
post 26th Dec 2010, 05:42pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Celtic 2 St Johnstone 0.
It took the two Koreans Ki and Cha to consecutively score both goals in injury time, it was another one of those games where Celtic dominated play yet there is no bite up front.
Murphy started and once again he was very inefective so also was Samaras, aint that a surprise, Stokes came on and showed much better fitba, because he has fitba where others up front dont, and that includes the poacher Hooper in my opinion.
For me Paddy McCourt was MOTM.
Forster 7
Cha 6.5
Rogne 6.5
Majstorovic 6.5
Izzaguirre 6.5
McGinn 5.5
Brown 6
Ki 7
McCourt 7.5
Murphy 5
SamaraS 5
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hubert
post 26th Dec 2010, 09:45pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Subject: Ljungberg poised to join Celtc Today at 6:43 pm

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6615295,00.html

Freddie Ljungberg will arrive in Glasgow on Sunday evening to hold talks with Celtic after manager Neil Lennon was made aware of a possible deal in November.

Former Arsenal and West Ham man Ljungberg has made no secret of the fact that he wants to return to Britain having left MLS side Chicago Fire, who he joined in the summer.

The Swede's agency are therefore understood to have contacted several clubs and Lennon has confirmed that Celtic were approached 'three of four weeks ago'.

Lennon is now looking to complete a deal as he prepares for Monday's Asian Cup-enforced departures of South Korea duo Cha Du-Ri and Ki Sung-yueng, who scored injury-time goals to beat St Johnstone on Boxing Day.
Horrendous

He said: "Ljungberg is coming in tonight. It is not a trial or anything like that. It's so that we can have a look at him and he can look at us.

"We were contacted three or four weeks ago. I don't think he is over the hill. I think he is 34 but he has always kept himself in good condition.

"He had a horrendous time with injuries at West Ham but in the last 18 months he has played a lot of games in America.

"You don't lose the quality, he might be missing an edge but we will see how he is.

Quality

"He has been a quality player for a long time, he is vastly experienced and again, it's just an opportunity that might be there for us.

"Johan Mjallby helped. Ljungberg's agency contacted us and Johan had a chat with him.

"He is keen to come and he wants to play in Europe again.

"He is a big name but that doesn't concern me as such, it is the quality he can bring to the club and if it is there we will pursue it."

Since I retired and got the PC in 2000, and with the extra TV coverage I pay for, Freddie Ljungberg has been a big favourite of mine, I used to admire his ability and drive at Arsenal, sure would like to see him at Celtic, he is class!

+Quote Post
weeshuggie
post 26th Dec 2010, 09:58pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,392
Complete disaster, West Ham were conned when signing him, he was an utter flop. God help us if this is our so called saviour, he is done, kaput, shot to bits. Wenger knew what he was doing getting shot of him.

I will be over the moon to be proved wrong but I doubt it

+Quote Post
hubert
post 26th Dec 2010, 10:26pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (weeshuggie @ 26th Dec 2010, 10:36pm) *
Complete disaster, West Ham were conned when signing him, he was an utter flop. God help us if this is our so called saviour, he is done, kaput, shot to bits. Wenger knew what he was doing getting shot of him.

I will be over the moon to be proved wrong but I doubt it

Needless to say I dont agree with you, I suggest you look up his background stats over the years.
If he signs I am confident you will be proven wrong!

+Quote Post
weeshuggie
post 26th Dec 2010, 11:02pm
Post #20

City Key Holder
Hubert I hope come April you are decrying me for being a complete numpty in talking about Freddie. I just know West Ham copped a wrong un when they bought him.

+Quote Post
hubert
post 26th Dec 2010, 11:32pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
This is from wikipedia.
West Ham United
On 23 July 2007, after nine years at Arsenal, Ljungberg joined London rivals West Ham United on a four-year contract, making West Ham United only the third professional club in Ljungberg's career.[16] Ljungberg made his West Ham United debut on the opening day of the 2007/2008 Premier League season, in West Ham's 0-2 home defeat by Manchester City on 11 August, a game in which he was also captain. After seven months at the club, Ljungberg finally scored his first goal for West Ham in the home match against Birmingham City on 9 February 2008, putting West Ham up 1-0 , with the game finishing 1-1.[17] Ljungberg also scored away at Sunderland a month later in a 1-2 defeat, being his final goal for the club.[18]

In his last game of the season, Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor accidentally landed on top of him while trying to jump over him, breaking his ribs. The injury sidelined Ljungberg for the rest of the season.[19] In May, it was reported that Ljungberg was offered 3m to tear up his contract. This was quickly dismissed by both Ljungberg's agents, Claes Elefalk and Scott Duxbury, West Ham's chief executive.[20]

In June 2008, Ljungberg retired from the Swedish National team stating, "The simple fact is the physical strain of playing on the national team and in club football for such a long time has finally taken its toll. And that is why I have decided to concentrate on playing for West Ham United and that is where my focus will be."[21]

Following the start of training camp, Ljungberg was nowhere to be seen. Many speculated a transfer was in the works despite Elefalk's claims that Ljungberg was to return. Days later, Ljungberg agreed to terminate his contract only after one year into the four year deal for a sum of 6 million. Ljungberg stated afterward, "I gave my all at West Ham and enjoyed my time there but the decision is the best for the both of us. Now, I will take my time to consider my football future."[22] This marked the end of Ljungberg's illustrious career in the Premier League.

I fail to see anything here that would prompt you to say they copped a wrong un.
However its your opinion and I certainly dont agree, neither does his resume or CV,
Yes he is up in age, but other players who are have done well in later years.
Hell he might not get signed but I hope he does.

+Quote Post
weeshuggie
post 26th Dec 2010, 11:53pm
Post #22

City Key Holder
Days later, Ljungberg agreed to terminate his contract only after one year into the four year deal for a sum of 6 million.

And they didn't cop a wrong un. 6 million Hubert and how many games and goals. I never knew it was so bad. 100% a wrong un and we can't afford to get stiffed like that.

West Ham were desperate to get shot of him, we should avoid him like the plague. I hope we bodyswerve him.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 27th Dec 2010, 04:12pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Shuggie yer right on the biz ,Wright, man u's Keanne ,an how many merr in recent years have we had tae put up wie ,Garvenson another shithawk ,all down tae desmond and money pincher's afore him on board. say what you like were up shi*t creek wie oot a paddle ,yer gonna buy ? buy up market ,ye canny afford it don't piss aboot in the basement.

The trouble goes back tae the advent o t.v ,and big bucks, which in turn fostered big wage's ,which in turn foisted the foreign imports ,which in turn killed the system where by every team had a team o reserve's maistly scots who if you remember ,played every week when the big team were awie ,the young guys got tae play wie full team members thus enhance n there technical
abbility ,ach gie me the good auld days .

+Quote Post
hubert
post 27th Dec 2010, 07:03pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Well I agree with those you mention in your post ab as not cutting it, however Chris Sutton didnae make it at Chelsea and did well at Celtic, wee Moravcik was 34 I believe and did well, and weeshuggie Ljungberg had broken ribs in his last game at West Ham and as you mention he got 6 million on leaving, thats verygood business.
I dont watch the MSL here in the States so I dont know how Ljungberg played but he was here a year and a half and played around 50 games, thats no bad.
Another player I heard a number of years ago was a flop, and granted Rangers paid far too much for him, and I argued with Rangers fans too, Flo was no flop he I believe was the SPL top scorer when he was at Rangers?
Anyhoo we shall see, Celtic may not offer Ljungberg a deal, I hope they do!
The Evening Times mention Celtic are looking at Toronto City captain Dwayne De Rosario, 32 years old.

+Quote Post
hubert
post 28th Dec 2010, 04:20am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Henrik Larsson told his old friend Freddie Ljungberg to forget any concerns about the quality of the SPL - and seize the chance of playing for Celtic.
The 33-year-old former Arsenal star trained with Neil Lennon's team yesterday ahead of talks over a potential deal.
Ljungberg is a free agent after leaving MLS side Chicago Fire and is thought to have other options south of the border.
Larsson, however, has urged him to take up any offer from Celtic.
The Parkhead legend admits the SPL standard is not as high as during his seven years of rampant scoring between 1997 and 2004. Yet, he still believes Celtic can provide the perfect platform for his former Sweden team-mate.
'The Scottish league is not as good as it was,' said Larsson, now manager of Landskrona in his homeland.
'But Fredrik wants to play in Europe again and if he gets the chance to play for Celtic, he should just take it - because it is still a very, very big club.
'It gets a little "ifs and buts", but if Fredrik is in as good shape as he says he is, then he will be a really big asset for Celtic.
'If he is close to his former quality then he would be a good player for any team.
'Fredrik has been a world player, with experience from the English league. He knows what's required...
'That's why I don't think it should be any problem to fit in to Scotland.'
Meanwhile, Ljungberg was last night backed to be 'something special' if he joins Celtic, after an impressive first training session.
Parkhead defender Jos Hooiveld worked alongside the 75-cap Swede at Lennoxtown yesterday and later insisted that Ljungberg retained the skills that made him a hero over nine years at Arsenal.

Celtic also hold an interest in Aston Villa centre-back Richard Dunne, while Canada international Dwayne de Rosario and Guillermo Molins of Malmo have emerged as further midfield options.
Ljungberg, however, could be their first signing of the January transfer window.
Hooiveld claimed that the Swede had made an instant impression as he seeks to convince manager Neil Lennon to hand him a contract - and a possible old firm debut on Sunday.
'Yes, he was in very good shape,' said Hooiveld.
'Surprisingly good. We want players who can contribute something extra to the team and right now the coaches are looking at Freddie.
'He can give this team something special.'..................

+Quote Post
hubert
post 29th Dec 2010, 07:57pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
The Celtic starting eleven for todays game against Motherwell.
Forster
Wilson Rogne Majstorovic Izzy
Forrest Brown Ledley McCourt
Kapo Stokes

+Quote Post
hubert
post 29th Dec 2010, 10:42pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Well the New Year game will be without Brown I guess, although I dont want him to get a red card, it will be no loss to Celtic in my opinion.
Lennon needs to sign Ljungberg and De Rosario and start them right away, hell its impossible for them to be any worse than some of the ones attempting to play fitba for Celtic.
What a bloody shambles once again,
Paddy McCourt scored the only goal in the game and even he overdid his dribbling yet he was MOTM. what does that tell you? Bloody shocking!
I am going to phone Ripley`s Believe It or Not, because I am looking forward to the New Year game!

+Quote Post
jojax64
post 30th Dec 2010, 01:17am
Post #28

City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,789
Celtic should have been 2 or 3 ahead in the first half. I don't think Well had a shot at goal in the entire match. The ref was a total clown.
Many baffling decisions, but apart from the sending off, a couple stand out.
Izzi shepherds the ball out for a goal kick. Lasley clatters him from behind, the ref books him......and awards Well a corner!
A few minutes later, Lasley deliberately handballs. Ref awards the free kick, but chickens out of giving Lasley his second (should have been automatic) yellow.

The honest mistakes continue. huh.gif

--------------------
Nil Sine Labore

+Quote Post
hubert
post 30th Dec 2010, 03:50am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Wonder who the HONEST referee is for Sunday?

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 30th Dec 2010, 10:14am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Who cares anymore? sad.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post

149 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.