Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Beautiful Game, Made In Scotland
Catherine
post 31st Aug 2003, 02:02am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Aye....well ah might tongue.gif Haud oan laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 31st Aug 2003, 02:08am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Och ye mean Lee Owen Hargreaves??? Born 20th January 198tywan....plays wae Buyern Munich?... Peesacake tongue.gif
Naw....Hubert when ah read these posts Scotland NEEDS ma boys laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hubert
post 31st Aug 2003, 02:43am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Bayern Munich, Celtic get them in the Champions league, should be fun!
Hardgreaves thats him, a good player!

This post has been edited by hubert: 31st Aug 2003, 02:44am

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 31st Aug 2003, 02:52am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Martins awa tae bed ya auld grump......feel free tae elabarate wae a natter why don't ye tongue.gif He'll no bump us aff till the morra laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hubert
post 31st Aug 2003, 03:09am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
I have never been in the new chat thing, its kind of scary for me, got to go and e mail some people, not being anti social jist will talk later?
Very busy these days, and bragging, fitba the morra and painted the french doors at the back inside the hoose!
Saw Celtic tae, daein hudrids of things?

This post has been edited by hubert: 31st Aug 2003, 03:14am

+Quote Post
linzeh
post 31st Aug 2003, 05:43am
Post #21

Lord Provost
Member No.: 338
QUOTE (thebardau @ 15th Aug 2003, 08:51 AM)
So will someone please be kind enough to explain what "Scotland losing the way" means - I'm serious.

i'm not sure who was 1st to do it....but when the managers decided punting up the park was the way to get by.. that was the beginning of the end for the "tanner ba" players.....and has left us chasing our tails ever since....solid defenders..some quality mid-fielders.....but no Law..Baxter..etc...etc..

Can anyone tell me the last out n out scottish forward to make it in one of the bigger leagues??..Serie A..spanish league??...EPL???

Duncan Ferguson??.....never reached his potential...

forgive my memory but i'm thinking we'd have to go back to Dalglish??

so my answer is..this was happening long b-4 the influx of "non-scottish" players...

--------------------
not all that glitters is gold... not all who wander are lost

+Quote Post
Tusker
post 11th Sep 2003, 04:54pm
Post #22

Super Resident
Member No.: 386
This isn't going to win me any votes in the popularity contest, but...

Scotland's national fitba' team didn't "lose the way" because they didn't know the way to begin with! If you look at things honestly, with an unbiased eye, and ask yourself "When was the last time Scotland was regarded as a 'World Power' in soccer?" you'd have to answer, "Never." Scotland's team simply doesn't rate on the world stage. Last time I looked at the world rankings (about a year ago I think) they were rated as 54th or 57th in the world, behind teams like Bahrain, the Outer Hebrides, Cyprus and the Chinese Province of Huan Nang, for God's sake. Have they improved quite a bit? Where do they stand now? 49th? 44th?

Yet every time there's a World Cup (or Euro Cup, now) the Scottish newspapers trumpet the opinion of some posturing blowhards, who have to sell newspapers -- so they write that this may be Scotland's cup (Ha! Ha!) because they have a new manager/new players/new trainer/new outlook/new boots/new strip. Nothing changes. This scenario has played out repeatedly since I was a kid in the 1950's -- and was probably played out time and time again, long before that too!

Yet people fall in line every time behind the Pied Piper, and expectations are raised once again, only to be cruelly dashed when reality hits and the Scots players come up against some 3rd rate national team who defeat the "New" Tartan Terrors very handily. As long as Scotland can beat England occasionally -- then we're back on the road to becoming great again. Nobody ever asks, "But when was the last time we were great?" And nobody ever asks, "If 3rd rate teams can beat us -- what does that make us?"

I don't have a magical solution to this problem, and I don't know all or any of the answers -- so please don't ask. I'm only trying to remove blinkers and point out the harsh reality of the situation. Scotland are NOT a world class team, never have been, and may never be. Just because they're Scottish doesn't automatically mean they're great, and that they were just unlucky not to win. Is anyone else sick to death of hearing excuses for poor performances -- or am I the only one?

That may not be news.....but it is reality (to paraphrase)

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 12th Sep 2003, 05:14am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Ye know whit Tusker ,you are dead right,as was Linzeh in his post, {Pick yersel up Lindsay ,I am agreeing wi you }.We tend to get carried a way with the fantasy,and forget the reality.I remember the big whinge was that they had to many Anglo's,in the team.So some manager played mostly home based players ,and we still got gubbed.Mind you good or bad ,it is still great to see them run oan the park.See hope rains supreme in the heart of the optimist.

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
whyteinch
post 12th Sep 2003, 08:27am
Post #24

Special Visitor
Member No.: 43
Happy days .......

The world’s oldest national trophy: the Scottish Football Association Challenge Cup was made in 1873. Sixteen teams entered the competition, which was won by Queen’s Park FC, who beat Clydesdale 2-0 in the 1874 final.Today the winning team is presented with the original trophy, but take home an exact replica.

Championship of the World trophy: in 1888 Renton of Dunbartonshire, the Scottish Cup holders, beat West Bromwich Albion of Birmingham, the FA Cup winners, in a match dubbed as the ‘Championship of the United Kingdom and the World’. In appalling weather Renton won 4-1

Click
http://www.scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk/

--------------------
whyteinch

+Quote Post
Tusker
post 12th Sep 2003, 11:04am
Post #25

Super Resident
Member No.: 386
Whyteinch -- 1874 Scottish Champs and 1888 U.K. and "World" Champs???
......Aye, but what have they done *lately*? lol...

+Quote Post
weementor
post 13th Sep 2003, 09:50am
Post #26

Super Resident
Member No.: 41
Tusker.... just a wee bit of irony.

--------------------
weementor......Neilston Village, Scotland

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 17th Sep 2003, 01:37pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Well said WeeMentor,an how are the guid folk in Nulson these days??./

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
hubert
post 22nd Sep 2003, 05:08am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Football has changed alot since it first began, and will continue to do so, no matter how a fan may wish it to be?
Myself I have reasons for hoping Celtic go to play their league and other competitions in England, with Glasgow still being their home base?
Eg, Celtic lined up against Bayern Munich last Wednesday, and there was one Scot in the lineup, Jackie McNamara.
In fact I believe Rangers lined up against Stuutgart the same day, and they had no Scottish players in their lineup?

+Quote Post
weementor
post 22nd Sep 2003, 07:01am
Post #29

Super Resident
Member No.: 41
Hi ...Jimmyd..... have you some family in 'Nulson' ... Docherty perchance...Neilston guid folk doing fine...however, this can't be said about the Neilston Juniors.

Click here to see photo.

Bobby McCance are you out there..drop a wee email

Regards

--------------------
weementor......Neilston Village, Scotland

+Quote Post
hubert
post 22nd Sep 2003, 02:14pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Got your PM Ian thanks, you should post that in the thread its good, and I agree with some of your sentiments, however eg, if there was a ban or limits on foreign players in Scotland Celtic and Rangers can at present forget of even trying to compete in the CL.
Football has taken off in places like never before, and the talent is improving, I am like you a fan of Scotland but unlike you I dont get to the games?
I honestly dont think there is any system, that would change things in Scotland to improve and compete with the rest of the world in international football, cause if you interfere with the club teams, well I am afraid Scotland would not even be on the map?
One big factor is population, yes there are teams that are better than Scotland with less population, but most countries have many more players to choose from?
Weementor its no often you see the goalie being the smallest in defense?
Are you in that team?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.