Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Council Closes 21 Glasgow Schools, City nurseries and schools to close
GG
post 23rd Apr 2009, 08:10pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
In a move that has been widely condemned by teaching professionals, parent groups, opposition politicians, and members of the Scottish Government, the ruling Labour Group at Glasgow City Council has taken the decision to close 21 schools and nurseries throughout Glasgow. The decision, voted on at a specially-convened full council meeting, was taken despite a consultation process involving 7200 people, which found that 96% of respondents were opposed the closures.

Andrew Milligan

Angry parents, concerned that their voices might be being ignored during the consultation period, took increasingly radical action to get their message across to senior Labour councillors who had become unusually media-shy in the face of growing parent power. During the anti-closure campaign concerned parents escalated their actions from heated confrontations at city chambers, to school occupations, and even rooftop protests. The parents now say that they intend to make sure that the Labour Party pays for ignoring them, indicating that they may mount a campaign to dent Labour's already diminishing hold on the city.

The Labour Group attempted to counter the concerns of professionals, protesters, politicians, and parents by insisting that the closures could save the city 3 million pounds. However, this sum was contested by many who claimed the 'savings' did not include the full, long-term costs associated with closing the schools. Still more protesters argued that the estimated saving could not be justified when the lives of so many young children will be disrupted.

The school closures' issue at one point threatened to descend into political farce when a senior Labour councillor was quoted as saying that reducing class sizes (a policy commitment of the Scottish Government) was an "irresponsible policy". Responding to the "outrageous" claim, one senior SNP source said:
"Glasgow has finally let the cat out of the bag. Their opposition to the government's education policies has nothing to do with finance and everything to do with politics. They are allowing their hostility to the SNP to damage the educational prospects of the children of Glasgow."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Apr 2009, 08:38pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
The schools and nurseries to close are:
  • Albert Primary
  • Anderston Nursery Class
  • Barmulloch Primary
  • Bellahouston Primary
  • Broompark Day Nursery
  • Craigielea Nursery
  • Garscube Nursery
  • Kinning Park Nursery
  • Merrylee Nursery Class
  • Mile End Nursery
  • Newark Dr. Nursery
  • Our Lady of the Assumption Primary
  • Queen Mary St. Nursery
  • Sighthill Primary
  • St Agnes' Primary
  • St Aloysius' Primary
  • St Gilbert's Primary
  • St Gregory's Primary
  • St James' Primary
  • Victoria Primary
  • Wyndford Primary

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*chris J*
post 23rd Apr 2009, 08:41pm
Post #3

People never want to pay higher Tax's.

Well you get what you pay for!

If Scotland didn't have the expensive wast of money called Holyrood, then I'm sure the would be more than enough money to go into schools.

+Quote Post
Old Sailor
post 23rd Apr 2009, 08:42pm
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 4,642
In the scheme of things three million pounds is chump change! Unfortunately I reside a long way from Glasgow but having spent my life as a social activist I agree that a meaningful demonstration of Opposition to City Council's action must be made. If I can offer the tactic I would have used it would be to publicise the event Nationaly and Internationaly. First I would have parents and schoolchildren occupy, repeat occupy, the Glasgow City Chambers, the whole building, Provosts Office, Main Ballroom, All offices and entrances. Notify Audio, Print and TV outlets and have High, very High Profile speakers to make the case for Opoosition. I respect Government but I hold Democracy dear and know that to get anything done we turn the Pyramid on point and let the Voice of People be heard. These are not just words, I have done it on may occasions and I am a strong admirer of Sol Alinskey. Read or re-read the French Revolution.

+Quote Post
loganswell
post 23rd Apr 2009, 09:18pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,338
Not really sure about the traffic cone hats sporting the words "SOD OFF" in the pictures but despite that I do in principle support the parents who oppose the school closures. Keeping them open would cost about ONE BILLIONTH of what it cost to prop up the sleazy bank scandal that came about by sheer corporate greed. Hang your dirty head in shame GB!

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 23rd Apr 2009, 09:55pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
I have not read too much of this in the press but surely schools closing is not a new thing.
Are the schools under used, too few children??
Maybe some of the schools are past their sell by date.
I wonder what the reaction to Glasgow councillors if they had been Tories biggrin.gif
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
mack
post 23rd Apr 2009, 10:00pm
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 5,073
Maybe if those those councillors who run around in free transport,to and from the various freebies,paid for by council tax payers, were to tighten their belts, we could save some more. Three million, don't make me laugh. When it comes to saving money it's always us at the sharp end.You can safely bet not one of those you elected will be going short.Look at the expenses scandals in Westminster & Holyrood, do you seriously think the same things are not going on in our own back yard. We have a pool of council employed drivers who take your elected officials to and from the various functions paid for by you and me but only available to council officials.What else is being kept from the man in the street!

+Quote Post
*AGNES & ROBERT*
post 23rd Apr 2009, 10:03pm
Post #8

QUOTE (norrie123 @ 23rd Apr 2009, 10:24pm) *
I have not read too much of this in the press but surely schools closing is not a new thing.
Are the schools under used, too few children??
Maybe some of the schools are past their sell by date.
I wonder what the reaction to Glasgow councillors if they had been Tories biggrin.gif
Bye for now, norrie

What was once one of the finest Cities on Earth, words fail me

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 23rd Apr 2009, 10:10pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 6,679
What else can one expect from 'authoritarians' especially the 'Labour' breed? No thought whatsoever toward their counterpart citizens as long as they can 'line their pockets'. When today's children go looking for work in later life, education plays a big role so how can our kids hope to fulfill life's expectation of them if schools are no longer available to them now? Did council think of this fact - no! Either they bloodiwell sit on their brains to keep 'em warm, or they've no brains with which to think at all!
I've seen enough of this type of garbage here in Australia to know otherwise irrespective of who is governing [or trying to] the country sad.gif
May God bless you all!
Rob

+Quote Post
realnutty01
post 23rd Apr 2009, 10:14pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,279
Well it started with taking away free milk. Then hot meals now its just classrooms left. I wonder what they will start one next. It would seem that anything to do with keeping the community together is just something that doesn't matter anymore. Where are the values for our children, why are they so sure that moving schools, closing school and total disruption is good for them.

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Apr 2009, 10:21pm
Post #11

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (chris J)
... Well you get what you pay for! ...

Perhaps Chris. Here's the replacement (shell in the foreground), for the existing Transport Museum, being built on the Clyde; it has already cost 74 million and is expected to rise in cost, cutting further into city budgets.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maycee
post 23rd Apr 2009, 10:38pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,636
Sad to hear that.I live in Canada now but they also are constantly closing down schools. And it is mainly because there are not enough children living in the area picked for closure.

I do not know the full story, but I read one letter re-nobody want's to pay higher taxes. This is your children that will suffer. It is a necessary evil. You must pay for the products. This is 2009.

Good luck!

Maycee

+Quote Post
Southside jim
post 23rd Apr 2009, 10:45pm
Post #13

Special Visitor
Member No.: 6,504
Gutted to hear the votes today.

I heard that all the local councillors voted to keep the school in their area open !!! A wee bit too late I think. The ones in my area know that they wont be elected back in again...And that they know what we all think of them !!!

How much did that art project in georges square cost !!!!! If I want to see art, I will go to the art galleries !!! As they cost more than enough to keep open as it is, with-out spending more money so people can see certain bits in the city center !!!!!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 23rd Apr 2009, 10:53pm
Post #14

Very sad,
Glasgow and Scotlad was always well known for it's education system...to close down schools is not a good thing...I don't live in Scotland any more...Alas...but my youngest son is studying in Aberdeen...he was brought up here in Holland...with three years education in between in Scotland when he was eight till eleven...His Uni team today walked away with a silver trophy and five hudred quid handed out to them for their business presentation...team cosisted of three french students...and two Dutch, my son being one of the "Dutch"though of British parentage.... educated here...Sad to think they beat two Scottish speaking teams for the prize.....Don't close schools....worse thing you can do for the next generation... The best years of my life were in Scottish schools..

+Quote Post
JAKKI 13
post 23rd Apr 2009, 11:07pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,613
I feel so sad for all parents and children in glasgow, but most of all maryhill as that is where iam from and to see all the people I know upset and am gutted for labour to do that to little ones they have no heart. so its ok for mps way second homes and husbunds getting films and etc.etc. list to long BUT OH NO money could not save the childrens schools I am glad that I do not vote labour and the people that do should think on the next vote.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.