Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

19 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Red Road Flats Demolished For Sport, Sad, sick and embarrassing for Glasgow
Melody
post 26th Feb 2015, 10:13am
Post #256

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
It just beggars belief, and breaks your heart. sad.gif

I wish we had a hundred more men of the stature of Robert Fleming and a thousand less of the stature of Gordon Mathieson.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 26th Feb 2015, 10:29am
Post #257

Mega City Key Holder
Apologies the fab fella on the video is actually Robert Florence and not Fleming as previously stated.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 26th Feb 2015, 06:07pm
Post #258

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
QUOTE (Melody @ 26th Feb 2015, 10:30am) *
It just beggars belief, and breaks your heart. sad.gif

I wish we had a hundred more men of the stature of Robert Fleming and a thousand less of the stature of Gordon Mathieson.

I was just wondering if it was possible to get a man of less stature than Gordon Mathieson??

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 26th Feb 2015, 06:09pm
Post #259

Mega City Key Holder
Kidding aside.... its a disgrace once again to this city. Its just like in the East End where we have streets full of bookies and pharmacies plus the odd quick loan shops and pound shops.

Does anyone know when the Red Road is really getting demolished.... will be interesting to see if it is before the election. Somehow I think not as it would show the politicians up for what they are.

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Mar 2015, 12:57am
Post #260

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Another exclusive! smile.gif

The end of the Red Road flats is now complete, as the final residents have left the last occupied block, and the surrounding site is being secured for the clearing and demolition process to begin. For the first time in 44 years there are no residents in the (today's costs) 100 million flats' complex which once was home to a population of 4,700 people.

Yet another towering failure of Glasgow's useless Labour administration.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Melody
post 3rd Mar 2015, 10:20am
Post #261

Mega City Key Holder
Imagine being up there. No Health and Safety 1960's. Red Road flats being built. Brave men.
[attachment=48507:Red_Road.jpg]

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 3rd Mar 2015, 04:58pm
Post #262

Mega City Key Holder
Have saw that picture loads of times and it never stops amazing me. Just look at them out there doing a hard job never mind all the dangers involved. Really is amazing. Just a pity that what they built was never properly looked after or might not even have been fit for purpose in the first place.

I take it all the blocks are coming down together then??

+Quote Post
wombat
post 3rd Mar 2015, 09:51pm
Post #263

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 3rd Mar 2015, 05:15pm) *
Have saw that picture loads of times and it never stops amazing me. Just look at them out there doing a hard job never mind all the dangers involved. Really is amazing. Just a pity that what they built was never properly looked after or might not even have been fit for purpose in the first place.

I take it all the blocks are coming down together then??

ah,ll hiv wan o they big I beams ah,m building a chook shed rolleyes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 4th Mar 2015, 01:24am
Post #264

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (Melody @ 3rd Mar 2015, 02:37am) *
Imagine being up there. No Health and Safety 1960's. Red Road flats being built. Brave men.
[attachment=48507:Red_Road.jpg]

My brother (Tennscot on this site) and I did this type work in our younger days down in England.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 4th Mar 2015, 08:49am
Post #265

Mega City Key Holder
You both have my admiration Wellfield. smile.gif

+Quote Post
ktv
post 4th Mar 2015, 01:25pm
Post #266

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
ive seen the pic before too and im sure the person who showed me it said it was a relative of his in the pic.

now if only I could remember lol

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 4th Mar 2015, 04:42pm
Post #267

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (Melody @ 4th Mar 2015, 01:06am) *
You both have my admiration Wellfield. smile.gif

Thanks Melody.....'The Young Lions"....lol

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 13th Mar 2015, 10:51am
Post #268

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Passed there the other day. They still haven't cleared all the rubble from the first block that came down.
The whole place looks like it is a set for a Sci-Fi atomic disaster movie.
So much for having the remainder of the blocks demolished for the 'Games'.

Alex

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Apr 2015, 09:25pm
Post #269

Administrator
Group Icon
Yes, Alex, that's exactly the impression I get. Quite surreal.

As for a demolition date, the GHA gave a rare statement to the Daily Mail last month on the date of the 'blowdown'. As usual, the quango is being less than transparent with its plans, and the allusion that it is working with "the surrounding community" is pure fiction. Needless to say that they won't be coming down before the General Election – the last thing Glasgow Labour needs at the moment is a very loud and clear reminder of how inadequate and incompetent their policies have been for this city over the last four decades!

The most controversial suggestions ahead of the Games was to demolish empty Glasgow towerblocks during the Opening Ceremony.

Five blocks of high-rise flats already earmarked for demolition would be brought down in spectacular fashion for the edification of the many millions watching around the world.

With dry ice enveloping the crowds at Celtic Park to replicate the effects of dust, the infamous Red Road flats would be destroyed in the name of entertainment.

However, the PR stunt sparked immediate outrage and more than 17,000 people signed an online petition to halt it.

They said it was obscene as the one remaining block was home to asylum seekers. Weeks before the ceremony was due to take place, the organising committee signaled a climb-down and called it off.

The Red Road flats are still standing.

Owners GHA last week said the demolition is likely to go ahead later this year.

A spokesperson said: 'We are working with our demolition contractor, other partners and the surrounding community on plans for the demolition. Our contractor is keeping the Health and Safety Executive up to date at appropriate stages.'

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Aug 2015, 11:44pm
Post #270

Administrator
Group Icon
In the news today ...
Red Road flats to be demolished in single autumn blowdown

The towerblocks will be brought down later this year after plans to demolish five of them during the opening ceremony of last year's Commonwealth Games were abandoned.

The remaining six of a group of iconic tower blocks are to be demolished in a controlled explosion later this year.

The Red Road Flats in Glasgow will be brought down in a single blowdown to cause less disruption to residents.

When they were built between 1964 and 1969, the flats were the highest in Europe at 292ft (89 metres) and were designed to hold 4,700 people.

Plans to demolish five of them during the opening ceremony of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games were abandoned following criticism.

The demolition of the remaining flats is the latest part of Glasgow Housing Association's (GHA) regeneration of communities across the city which will see thousands of new homes built.

David Fletcher, director of regeneration for GHA, said: "We're working very closely with our contractor and partners on plans to bring down all six remaining blocks in a single demolition later this year.

"Our contractor is preparing the blocks for demolition with work carried out to stringent health and safety regulations.

"We'll continue to work with members of the local community about arrangements for the day.

"We'd like to thank all of the residents again for their patience and understanding during this important part of the community regeneration project."

There were originally eight blocks, one of which was demolished in June 2012 and another in May 2013.

The remaining six blocks are all empty and are being prepared for demolition, which will take place some time in the autumn.

Future development options for the cleared site are at an early stage and there will be further community consultation over the summer.

The GHA has not released the actual date, but residents have been told that the blowdown will happen on Sunday, 11th October 2015.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.