Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local Elections 2017, Tories in Ferguslie Park
john.mcn
post 13th May 2017, 06:55pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 13th May 2017, 05:36pm) *
My father taught me that there is no shame in being ignorant of anything, only in pride of that ignorance.

He should have taught you that not giving a shit over what some no mark on the internet thinks is not pride it is not giving a shit..Gettit?

I am glad to say that you are mistaken in your view of no one's caring about grammar. Maybe it
is true in the circles in which you mix.

In the grand scheme of things Bilbo no one cares, this is not a novel but an internet message board. If you cannot separate the two then I suggest sticking to your own kind and play dominoes listening to Bing Crosby
Oh dear, McNasty rears its ugly head once more. Perhaps you would care to regale our members with explicit details of my "inadequacies" you so fondly imagine.

Ohh the irony, a year of name calling and numerous comments implying a low intelligence and he gets a bit delicate over the one wee word.
I dont need to go into explicit details, are you trying to tell us something here? Your inadequacies are here for everyone to see in your posts.
As for the other matter, which has you in such a lather, to paraphrase your words, I have neither the time nor inclination to trawl through my posts to please you. I have stated my position on independence and the EU, and it is clearly nonsense that Scotland could remain in EU whilst England leaves, unless we gain independence.

I never asked you to trawl anything, I have repeated the question a few times to save you the bother. You agreed with the SNP policy and I have asked you the very simple question of how it would work, each time you have avoided it and when you do start 'talking' you dont seem to understand what you are agreeing with. I have explained what they proposed and it has taken 2 weeks for you to agree that the SNP's policy was pants just as I initially said so why mock it?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th May 2017, 11:00am
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 13th May 2017, 07:35pm) *
Really Jagz, again with the paranoid pact rubbish. Is there any policy where Labour or the Tories have agreed to not stand in a seat so as to give the other side (that they hate) a free run against the SNP?

The only time I hear of anything like a pact is from Indy supporters like the Greens only fielding a few candidates and the likes of Tommy Sheridan urging his support to vote SNP.

Do the Tories and Labour really "hate" each other John?

I thought there were no divisions in UK politics until the SNP came along, at least that's what you'd think if you believed Theresa, Ruth and Kezia.

So, you only hear Indy supporters talking about "pacts" and "urging" their supporters to vote for someone else?

"Ian Murray backs tactical voting for Tories to keep SNP out"

http://www.thenational.scot/news/15236862....o_keep_SNP_out/

http://www.scotsman.com/news/labour-mp-cri...oting-1-4424455

"Mr Murray, according to the Guardian, said he supported tactical voting if voters’ key concern was defeating the SNP"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/a...tactical-voting

When it comes to pacts you only seem to hear what you want John. yes.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 14th May 2017, 11:22am
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder

Are you having a laugh. A politician asking voters to vote for them to fight against another parties policies is not a pact.. That has been !!TRIGGER ALERT!!! WEE NICS !!TRIGGER ALERT!! policy for years and is the one she's campaigning on now. A party asking its supporters to vote for another or one where they dont stand is a pact and one the Greens are doing in Scotland and England.

Have you forgotten 'vote till you boke' hyped by Senior SNP figures, was that a pact too?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 18th May 2017, 04:44am
Post #64

QUOTE (john.mcn @ 12th May 2017, 10:36pm) *
That is not really an answer, you tried to ridicule my post about the SNP plan so you must have an idea how the SNPs proposals for Scotland to stay in the EU as well as the UK without all sorts of problems regarding trade across the border. Also who will pay Scotlands membership, surely you cant expect Westminster to fork out the fee when they are not in the EU so that really only leaves Scotlands tax payers to foot the bill. One other thing, how can wee Nic rant about Westminster failing Scottish fishermen when she intends to sell them out for a seat in Brussels.

I await your answers.

Wee Nic! is that a "TRIGGER POINT" or mere childish disparaging.

+Quote Post
*Billy BOIL*
post 19th May 2017, 09:38am
Post #65

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 12th May 2017, 06:48pm) *
Boy, the imagery gets more colourful by the day. Not quite Nobel or Pulitzer Prizes, more Spillane.

Comeon Jimmy. Mickey Spillane wis articulate an' could tell a' guid story!

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 19th May 2017, 06:37pm
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 18th May 2017, 04:44am) *
Wee Nic! is that a "TRIGGER POINT" or mere childish disparaging.

The 'Wee Nic' phrase I have been using for a couple of years and there is no demeaning underlying message in its use, it strangely only became a problem for some when I started to criticise SNP policy . I accept that the trigger warning is childish but then so is the crap directed towards myself, when members here have been met with all sorts of abuse from his mate to then object to the word wee while he stays silent on the rest is a bloody joke.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 19th May 2017, 07:04pm
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
As you seem determined to have the last word on everything, I think it only fair that you cut to the chase and give some indication of when that might be. laugh.gif

This would save a lot of time, as I have other paella to cook, but I should hate to miss the event.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 21st May 2017, 10:48am
Post #68

QUOTE (john.mcn @ 19th May 2017, 06:37pm) *
The 'Wee Nic' phrase I have been using for a couple of years and there is no demeaning underlying message in its use, it strangely only became a problem for some when I started to criticise SNP policy . I accept that the trigger warning is childish but then so is the crap directed towards myself, when members here have been met with all sorts of abuse from his mate to then object to the word wee while he stays silent on the rest is a bloody joke.

"Whose wee dug???"

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 21st May 2017, 02:25pm
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder

If you mean who is referred to as 'wee dug' or 'the dug' then the wee dug is the wee ginger dug blog written by a Mr Paul Kavanagh, the dug has been used towards Labour's leader in Scotland Kezia Dugdale.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 7th Sep 2017, 11:50pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
Thats a bit of coincidence isn't it. SNP wins control of council, cracking tax payer funded job becomes available and after advertising and a rigorous interview process the winning candidate just happens to be best buds with the new SNP council leader and a former SNP councillor. No cronyism or jobs for the boys, just one big massive coincidence...

SNP leader of Scotland's largest council in cronyism row

GLASGOW’S new SNP leader is at the centre of a “jobs for the boys” row after the partner of a close friend and former employer was given a key job in her office.

City Council boss Susan Aitken is facing questions after naming Duncan McLean, partner of Holyrood deputy presiding officer Linda Fabiani, as her £38,000-a-year policy officer.

Mr McLean, 64, a former housing association worker and failed SNP council candidate, is due to start work in the leader’s office later this month.

Until recently, he was the secretary of the SNP in Ms Fabiani’s East Kilbride constituency.

Although the policy officer post was openly advertised and candidates sifted by officials, it is understood Ms Aitken had a personal say in the final choice of Mr McLean.

Ms Aitken and Ms Fabiani are long-term friends and have a previous financial relationship.

Parliamentary records show that between 2009 and 2011, Ms Fabiani hired Ms Aitken as a £250-a-day contractor to work for her on matters related to her role as an MSP.

Ms Aitken was paid £12,750 from public funds for 51 days’ work.

In the run up to May’s local election, Ms Aitken suggested voters were “disgusted” by the then Labour administration’s “cronyism and abuse of power”.

She said the SNP would “throw open the doors of the City Chambers, and bring transparency, openness and accessibility to Glasgow’s democratic life”.

In recent years, Mr McLean has worked for a series of SNP politicians, including Kilmarnock MSP Willie Coffey and former East Renfrewshire MP Kirsten Oswald.

Council sources said Mr McLean’s background in social housing had been a factor in his hiring, however Glasgow got rid of all its social housing in a stock transfer in 2003.

In August 2015, Ms Aitken chaired the endorsement meeting for Ms Fabiani as the SNP’s Holyrood candidate in East Kilbride, sitting next to Mr McLean at the top table.

She tweeted: “Why would you pick anyone else?!”

In another tweet, she said: “I loved @LindaFabianiSNP long before it was all the rage, you know.”

Ms Aitken has been a councillor for Langside since 2012, and SNP group leader since 2014.

Mr McLean stood unsuccessfully as an SNP council candidate in South Lanarkshire in 2012.

A Labour source said: "This process looks like jobs for the boys.

Glasgow City Council isn't a social landlord, so the argument that the leader’s top policy guru needs to be a housing expert is tissue paper thin.

“The shine is coming off the Nationalists in Glasgow pretty quickly."

A council spokesman said: “The post was publicly advertised and a suitably-qualified candidate was appointed after a competitive interview process.”

Within weeks of the SNP forming the minority administration in Glasgow in May, the council advertised for a policy officer and principal policy officer to work in Ms Aitken’s office.

The online advert for the policy officer post filled by Mr McLean said it would pay between £32,333 and £38,043 for 35 hours a week.

The job description said candidates “should have a good understanding of the complex socio-economic issues affecting Glasgow” and be “expected to make recommendations for the improvement and management of policy implementation”.

According to a candidate profile of him posted on Ms Fabiani’s website at the time, Mr McLean has been a member of East Kilbride for 15 years and had worked in housing and regeneration for more than 20 years, and was still a “consultant” in that field.

After the 2012 local elections, the Labour administration in Glasgow was involved in a similar “jobs for the boys” row after the late Tom McCabe was hired as a council policy officer.

The former Labour MSP got a £50,000-a-year post in environmental services division after losing his Hamilton seat to the SNP in 2011.

The appointment was queried at the time by SNP MSP James Dornan.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 8th Sep 2017, 11:18am
Post #71

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Disgusting, but then all parties are the same,the one thing politicians are good at is looking after
themselves and their associates.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 8th Sep 2017, 05:17pm
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
It is disgusting DJ, if I'm honest then i will also add that I am surprised because did they not campaign on a ticket for change?

Those of us here long enough will remember of course something similar happened with the previous administration, back then it was an ex MSP who lost his post in the 2011 election. The story is remarkably similar in that the job was advertised and there was an interview process yet at the end of it the Labour ex politician Tom McCabe walked into a tax funded position in a labour council. We discussed it back then in 2012 and you can see from some of the comments back then pretty much everyone knew something was not right, it's strange then that there does not seem to be the same condemnation from some quarters, surely its not because it's OK when the SNP are the 'culprits' in the story.
http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24707
Take this post
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 21st Jul 2012, 01:08pm) *
The people of Glasgow voted for no change, that's exactly what their getting.

The people of Glasgow voted for change this time but got pretty much who they kicked out of office.

Even better is this one
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 21st Jul 2012, 05:26pm) *
I am making a point Jupiter, and the point is that the people who voted Labour back into power (i know you didn't Mary) knew exactly what they were getting in return, party and self interest first public second, Bullish and threatening behaviour, nepotism and of course the current debate Cronyism.

The ex Labour minister Tom McCabe got interviewed for the job as policy advisor to Land and Environmental services in Glasgow City Council, a job that pays a salary of almost £50,000, a job that he was awarded less than 24 hours after being interviewed, a job that's supposed to be non-political, will he be able to put the interests of the people of Glasgow before the interests of the Labour party?

Jobs for the boys.....You bet, but if the council can prove that this was all above board and that the post was advertised and how many other applicants were interviewed, then i shall eat humble pie and apologise on this board

If it's Labour cronyism and jobs for the boys, surely those same criticisms can be aimed at the SNP.

Back then the SNP called for an independent inquiry to investigate this position being awarded I would hope that they back an independent body check that this post was not awarded on a wink and nudge

wink.gif

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 9th Sep 2017, 02:56pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder

wink.gif

tongue.gif

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Sep 2017, 08:25pm
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder

Oh well, it seems that nepotism, cronyism or jobs for the 'boys' is perfectly fine for some as long as it is the SNP doing it...

maybe this could have something to do with the SNP not doing very well in the 2 by elections last week. Despite one of their candidates getting returned after the first vote in Cardonald they could not take the seat in the by election after the death of the labour candidate (elected previously at stage 9).
The other by election was in Fortissat in North Lanarkshire which labour won and the SNP came third after a new party called 'A Better Britain – Unionist Party'

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.