Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> French Ban On Muslim Headscarves, What do you think?
flim
post 14th Sep 2004, 03:06pm
Post #46

Resident
Member No.: 1,315
Hi All you Catholics who wore scarfs/head-dresses to Chapel ,I cant recall an Elected Government telling you to wear them,the difference is France is being blackmailed by Islams [Muslims] to change their democratic law ,by threatening to kill two French Journalists, Forgive them Father for they know not what they do ...Please dont take it to heart but that is the honest truth..as i see it..Cheers Flim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 14th Sep 2004, 03:35pm
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
I can't recall an elected Government telling me I COULDN'T wear them Flim.
Where is the democracy when a government tells it's subjects what religious symbols it can and cannot wear...with accordance to size thrown in ie: small crucifix's are acceptable.
Last I heard religion was free choice and nothing to do with Government.

The poor journalists are at the mercy of terrorists here, refusing to allow schoolchildren to wear a headress in accordance with their beliefs be they traditional or mandatory, in my opinion is downright racist by the French government. {jist my opinion mind}

If they haven't already been murdered, and if it happens, will the French government blame it on those who disagreed with the new law?
Will there be people who will turn on schoolchildren and blame them?
If so those people will be no better than the terrorists themselves who are using this {journalists} as an excuse to anger France to begin with.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
littlebernie
post 14th Sep 2004, 11:43pm
Post #48

Special Visitor
Member No.: 221
cathey if you think head dress is not on try this muslims woman wear there dress from head to toe and all you see is there eyes and you be lucky if you see there eyes i watch eight go though customs and for I D all the persons did was flike up the vale so as the customs could see there face new zealand is a very easy going country and i dont agree at all with this kind of dress but they it is there religion do as the romans some hope bernie

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 15th Sep 2004, 12:07am
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
See when ye think of it Bernie, all they do is look at our passport photo's and then our faces too.
Women who wear this dress, dis it begin with a B? Bhurka something?
Anyway, they go through the same security over their clothes the way others do, so if anything was hidden it would be found the same way.
I believe it's only a woman security officer that does this out of respect to the persons religious rules.

True story here...
The other week there I was waitin in the queue in some dept store, the woman behind me had this dress on and had her baby in the pram, gorgeous wean.
Ma boys were talkin away to the wean as was I, so I caught the mums eye and started talking with her, because I was aware of my own boys glances towards her, they didnae know quite what to make of it...was it scary or no..yet they liked the wean...confusion reigned.
Her and I chatted away and I could see both my boys relax over the whole scene once they realised she wisnae Darth Vader, but wis jist another mum with different clothes on biggrin.gif
Once outside I made sure the boys understood that jist because people look different or dress different, it disnae make THEM different.

--------------------

+Quote Post
littlebernie
post 15th Sep 2004, 12:36am
Post #50

Special Visitor
Member No.: 221
glade it was not dark vadia it the security bit it worry me all the concelled clothing as to what could be hiden and no real i d being seen how ever it the border security probelm no dought they will have answer for this bernie

+Quote Post
carmella
post 15th Sep 2004, 02:14pm
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (flim @ 14th Sep 2004, 04:23 PM)
Hi All you Catholics who wore scarfs/head-dresses to Chapel ,I cant recall an Elected Government telling you to wear them,the difference is France is being blackmailed by Islams [Muslims] to change their democratic law ,by threatening to kill two French Journalists, Forgive them Father for they know not what they do ...Please dont take it to heart but that is the honest truth..as i see it..Cheers Flim

Oh dear!
I don't quite understand this post. First of all, let me say that many years ago Catholic women and girls, did wear something on their heads when going into the church, as a matter of respect. I can only speak for myself but I was never bound by church law or ordered by any individual that I must have my head covered!

In the French situation it is the government who brought out the law that no head covering be worn by anyone - regardless of religion - if you look at my post you will see this law does not apply only to Muslims - the law enacted is very wide ranging. France is and has always been a Catholic country - the law enacted includes that religion also - perhaps to a lesser degree, as Catholic women do not and never did wear head coverings to schools!

The terrorists used the law only as it was seen to apply to Muslim women for the purposes of their negotiations - the hostages in this case eventually beeing freed and thr law still stands.

It matters not a jot to me what religion you practice or do not, whichever the case. Your use of the word "chapel" in your post, however, is wrong and would indicate to me that you are not of the Catholic faith yourself - only non-Catholics refer to a Catholic Church as a "Chapel" - again I would emphasize I speak generally from my own geographical upbringing.

If you wish the definition of a "Chapel" I would be only too willing to give it here. Most of us Catholics would have attended a Catholic Church unless it was a small room contained within a school, university - or some other insititution!

Now you mention Catholic women and girls going to church with head gear on, which indeed was the case. A catholic could attend mass wearing almost anything - whatever clothes they owned, would be what the wore to church - in other religions - and it is clearly seen even now - they wore their Sunday best and the women of these other regligions always wore hats - some small and some very large - anyone would think they were in readiness to attend Ascot Races - and I have seen these frequently, even these days - so I think this really places your comments in the realms of fantasy.

Just my 2c worth!

This post has been edited by carmella: 15th Sep 2004, 04:36pm

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
hubert
post 15th Sep 2004, 04:30pm
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Carmella two cents worth, thats mer than two bits worth, your right on the money, excuse the pun!
Simply brilliant! wink.gif
Great post and reply, gies mer! HeHe

+Quote Post
steakpie
post 15th Sep 2004, 06:46pm
Post #53

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,066
Well, I did call the church a chapel as did every catholic I knew in my parish, and that would make a few hundred. And we did have strict instructions to wear a hat, beret or other covering when entering the chapel, - cripes, they even sold mantillas in the sacristy,along with all the other paraphernalia.

Of course,no-one instructed the little old ladies to wear the deed dugs on their shooders. Thae things gave and still give me the heebie jeebies.

Back on topic, I think you are right suggesting that al quaeda will use any excuse, even headscarves, to get at anything American or European. It won't matter what the issue, it will always be our fault in their eyes, and they will be glad of any excuse to keep the masses riled up against us. Problesm is, they have so much more disposable cannon fodder all over the world that they can brainwash into doing their dirty work. And there are so many other nations that will not be unhappy about this, until it is their turn.

Like the Isrealites beating the Syrians who were holding back the Assyrians, who then went to defeat the Israelites, the heralded break up of the Soviet Union has opened the way for the fanatic hordes to bring the world into anarchy.

Who wished for us to live in interesting times? I wonder who will get to write the history books and who will be permitted to learn to read them.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 15th Sep 2004, 08:38pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Glad you made the point or the distincton between church and chapel Steakpie.

However, I did say I was speaking for my own geographical area and family circumstances - and stand by what I said in my post.

In my neck of the woods then, as now, the only people who referred to the Church as a chapel, were not catholic. Now when my mother went to church as a youngster, the church (chapel) was attached to the school a one room building with the wee chapel adjacent - she and those of her generation referred to that little building as a chapel - and rightly so.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 15th Sep 2004, 09:09pm
Post #55

Mega City Key Holder
Steakpie and Carmella, this puts me in mind of a teacher in our Primary school.
Like Steakpie, we called it the Chapel, and everytime we called the Church 'Chapel' in class, she made you stand up and tell the difference between them.
Does anyone still hear it called the Pineapple? I remember friends who were non catholic calling it this. biggrin.gif

Your point there at the end Steakpie made me wonder jist how accurate are the History books we read now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 15th Sep 2004, 09:16pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Good point Catherine, I have often heard it referred to, as you say, as the "pineapple".

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
steakpie
post 16th Sep 2004, 12:06pm
Post #57

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,066
Ok, I think it is finally filtering into my inferior brain (don't blame me, I didn't cboose this one!). The French are not afraid of headscarves, only what they represent. The muslims are not afraid of hair, sorry, female hair, only what it represents? Why don't we just eliminate all the women, as they seem to be the big problem. Bliddy torublemakers, the lot of them! I wonder what the men will find to fight about then? Sheep?

It would be nice if they would leave us unbelievers out of their fights, but I suppose it would not do to have an opinion of your own.Homogenized humans sound as dull as homogenized milk to me.

Maybe we all need separate planets. Wonder how long it would take us to mess them up and start messing everyone else's up, too. I volunteer for the first space colony and I'm not letting anyone in who wears a headscarf, so QE 1 or 11 (depending on your UK origins, that means you, too. Maybe I'll keep out men with baldspots, cause I think it was one of them who started all this nonsense in the first place. Head of hair envy! I bet Freud had that!

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 16th Sep 2004, 01:43pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Mon now Steakpie, don't lose faith...Ahv two wee boys here who will grow up respectin all people REGARDLESS of how they dress, what religion they practise or whitever else is thrown in....an if they're anythin like their dad, the bald spot will appear aroon 36yrs auld . laugh.gif
They've a good start so far, a dad who respects women as equals, they live in a city that tries so hard to accept multicultural differences...yes there's plenty hiccups but through sheer hope an diligence we'll keep on the right track....and did ah mention a wee Scottish mum who disnae give up believin things can only get better if ye keep tryin to bridge the gaps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
August26
post 16th Sep 2004, 10:28pm
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 898
Steakpie:
We know you can't help the way you think, take a look at the worlds leaders, all men, it's that Y chromosone again, tongue.gif

August

--------------------
Martin's Tartan Army

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 16th Sep 2004, 11:04pm
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
Glad you posted there August, it gives me a chance to apologise for YET AGAIN bringin the world and it's problems back to ma boys.

Sorry guys, even when it's On Topic, I guess I'm jist tunnel visioned in trying to make their world a better place than the one our generation is SUPPOSED to be running.

I hope I haven't put anyone off from making their point here.
Sorry again smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.