Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The World’s Most Scenic Railway Journeys, Minute by Minute!
taurus
post 12th Jan 2020, 07:37pm
Post #61

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
that cartoon is almost correct.when we came here a lifetime ago,Sydney only had old single storey trains,"red rattlers " they were known as. The only diffrence from the old chugging trains we see in 3rd world trains,is we didn`t have people travelling on the roofs,they were so antiquated,the passengers shut the doors if they were so inclined,other than that we travelled with them wide open. Peak time coming home from work in the evening,we looked and felt a bit like that cartoon. Then,heaven,! along came these silver .trains,double deckers,......
progress,but on our train line,it was still the old red rattler,with one double decker tacked on at the end,and one up front. Needless to say everyone dived for that carriage. We`ve come on a ton since then,but in 1961 the population was only 10 million,seems like a backwater now thinking back,but it was beautiful,so innocent ,when a murder happened it was front page news for days,now theres at least one if not more every single day. Get the violins out now !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zascot
post 13th Jan 2020, 01:11pm
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
QUOTE (carmella @ 12th Jan 2020, 06:07pm) *
Haha they are called flip flops here. In Australia, however, they are called “thongs” 😀 that here are undies for us wee women.

Glad I didn`t go to Australia would hate to walk around the garden in my thong. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 13th Jan 2020, 02:30pm
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (zascot @ 13th Jan 2020, 01:11pm) *
Glad I didn`t go to Australia would hate to walk around the garden in my thong. biggrin.gif

Haha👍🤪

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
wombat
post 13th Jan 2020, 05:27pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 13th Jan 2020, 07:38pm
Post #65

Super Lord Provost
I hope i`m not going to offend anyone,but can`t resist this after Wombat`s latest cartoon. My youngest daughter who is a real character used to travel to work with me in the morning in our packed train. One morning she said to 2 men,who had themselves all nicely spread eagled reading their morning papers,"if you shut your legs and he shuts his legs me and my mum could sit down. Stony silence,no response,as was the Aussie way,so we stood holding on to the pole in front of them. Suddenly there was the most disgusting smell, I caught her eye and she was trying not to give away the fact that she had deliberately done the UNFORGIVABLE . One of the men,enjoying his paper,with his little gold rim glasses,soon got a whiff off it,it was very hard not to laugh watching his little nose twitch like a rabbits. Serves himright chauvenist pig !
Hope that wasn`t Wombat happy.gif

+Quote Post
carmella
post 13th Jan 2020, 08:03pm
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I can’t stand men like that. But I can’t see clearly enough wombat’s cartoon.

But, sounds like your daughter got them moving!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 14th Jan 2020, 08:20am
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (taurus @ 13th Jan 2020, 07:38pm) *
I hope i`m not going to offend anyone,but can`t resist this after Wombat`s latest cartoon. My youngest daughter who is a real character used to travel to work with me in the morning in our packed train. One morning she said to 2 men,who had themselves all nicely spread eagled reading their morning papers,"if you shut your legs and he shuts his legs me and my mum could sit down. Stony silence,no response,as was the Aussie way,so we stood holding on to the pole in front of them. Suddenly there was the most disgusting smell, I caught her eye and she was trying not to give away the fact that she had deliberately done the UNFORGIVABLE . One of the men,enjoying his paper,with his little gold rim glasses,soon got a whiff off it,it was very hard not to laugh watching his little nose twitch like a rabbits. Serves himright chauvenist pig !

I'm sure they got her drift tongue.gif

Growing up, I was alway taught to give my seat up on transport to my elders, which i did. Rules have changed now children rarely give their seats up. A significant number of older travellers are equally bad mannered, often sitting on the outside of two seats to put off anyone wanting to sit beside them or using baggage to the same effect. It's a different world out there.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
taurus
post 14th Jan 2020, 10:37am
Post #68

Super Lord Provost
I got a lesson in giving up the seat very early on in my life here. I was on a train with my 2 wee ones,maybe 4 and 5 they were,and I got them up to give a Chinese woman the seat and she sat her kid in it . !

+Quote Post
wombat
post 15th Jan 2020, 06:16am
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
[quote name='taurus' date='13th Jan 2020, 07:38pm' post='

Serves him right chauvinist pig !
[/quote]

rolleyes.gif

I think i would remember if i was the recipient of that silent but deadly aroma taurus.

shock3.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 15th Jan 2020, 10:04am
Post #70

Super Lord Provost
oh thank God Wombat,it would kill brown dogs as the Aussies say. I remember it it like yesterday,and it was over 30 years ago,good for a laugh when reminiscing. It`s a sad world if we can`t have a laugh.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 15th Jan 2020, 10:12am
Post #71

Mega City Key Holder
thumbup.gif had yours today pal? laugh.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 16th Jan 2020, 04:36am
Post #72

Super Lord Provost
very clever cartoons do you make them yourself Wombat. a lot of truth in the flag one,an obsession with some folk. A woman I worked with was a crashing bore about her son being such a "true blue Ausssie"he even had the Aussie flag wrapped round his toilet seat .crap crap,then in the next breath she tells us he`s just opened a new factory in Singapore,What !!! what about the Aussie workers who would miss out on a job.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 16th Jan 2020, 06:54pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
[quote name='taurus' date='16th Jan 2020, 04:36am' post='3741974']
very clever cartoons do you make them yourself Wombat.
[/quote

rolleyes.gif this guy.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 16th Jan 2020, 07:09pm
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder
rolleyes.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.