Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jaconnelis, glasgow memories
stuarty
post 15th May 2007, 03:17pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
maryhill road next to the thistle staidium got it correct am waiting on my boy coming to visit to up load them for me my auntie murial is just doon the road a wee bit in maryhill road still and shes in her eighties and she said he sold the cafe but not the icream recipe he still has scecret recipe and went and bought a chip shop but still has the other cafe he owns a clever man but the new guy kept it in its orignal state as in the chirs dukebox and red seats

--------------------
gie me a wee minite
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 12th Aug 2007, 10:07pm
Post #17

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
a wee story my mother tells us now and again when she feels like a laugh is,my father got a small bonus at work,there was only the four of us at the time.my parents myself and my young brother,(two sisters came along later)he took us all to the blysthwood cafe in maryhill road,placed the orders like a man of means,when the waitress ,who looked very impressed with the man who knew what was wanted left the table ,to get the order,my father then decided to look at the menu ,when he realised how much it was going to cost got us to quickly vacate the premises.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 3rd Dec 2008, 11:44am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
I was born on Northpark St. Jaconnelli's was at the bottom of our St; at Queen's cross I can remember going with my Sister to the cafe for hot peas and pea bray that was back on 1934 when I was 4 years old also Bert Cocozza his cafe was at the corner of Trossachs Street opposite the Blythswood my Sister used to go with Bert also Mario Lanza was bert Cocozza's cousin, Jaconnelli's makes a fabulous Macalum my Wife and I were in there on 2005 ice cream was still good, back in the 30's they used to live i the back shop.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 1st Jan 2009, 07:03am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
QUOTE (georgia @ 10th May 2007, 08:26pm) *
Looking forward to seeing the pics stuarty smile.gif

I was born in Northpark St. 1930 I must have been 4 maybe 5 years I can remember my Sister taking me to Jacconelli's for a big jug of hot peas, you could also get pea bray, in those days the Family lived in the back of the shop I can still see that big black pot on the stove that might have been an old range

+Quote Post
flam
post 1st Jan 2009, 11:43am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Agnes and Robert Do you remember on the right hand side of Northpark St as you walked towards Maryhill Road, above some of the closes (I think you call it Lintels ) etched in to the Stone-work was the matings of Cock and Hen birds 1 The Coo-ing of the birds..2 The Mating of the birds 3 The Hen with eggs and, 4 the chicks in the nest. I was always wanting to take the photos of these closes but I did not have a camera then, I passed these closes most nights as I stayed in Kirkland St for a,bout 18 months coming from Sunnylaw St along Panmure St Etc! Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Dee
post 8th Apr 2009, 10:20pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,771
QUOTE (brian16 @ 26th Feb 2006, 04:26pm) *
does anyone rememer bert coccoza's cafe on maryhill road? or hannnah's cafe in lambhill? my mum said she use to walk out to the cemetary on sunday and on the way back go into hannah's cafe.

Hi,

Hannah's Cafe belonged to my Great Grandparents and Margaret Hannah is my Gran. Can anyone tell me any more about Hannah's Cafe as I incidently now live behind it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
reneeb
post 15th Apr 2011, 11:37am
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,978
I remember going down to D'Jaconelli's on a Sunday afternoon from my granny's in Springbank Street in the 60's. In those days you could take your own dish in to be filled with their delicious ice cream and topped with raspberry sauce and chocolate vermicceli..yum. smile.gif

I believe Mario sold the shop when he retired, but his sons now run the chip shop next door.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 15th Apr 2011, 11:49am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
The sons sold the chip shop and have moved up Maryhill Rd just passed the Elephant and Bugle, selling both ice-cream and fish and chips. The cafe at Queens X is still called Jaconelli's and they still sell Jaconelli's ice-cream as part of the deal when Mr J retired and sold the cafe. biggrin.gif
Mary

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 17th Apr 2011, 04:18am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
There were Jaconnelis in Paisley and Johnstone, cafe owners and ice cream sellers. As most of the Italians living along the West coast came from the Via Reggio region of Italy I think that it is possible they are from the same family.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 17th Apr 2011, 09:48am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 17th Apr 2011, 06:35am) *
There were Jaconnelis in Paisley and Johnstone, cafe owners and ice cream sellers. As most of the Italians living along the West coast came from the Via Reggio region of Italy I think that it is possible they are from the same family.

There were /are Jaconellis in Shettleston. There is a Tony Jaconelli who is connected to Shettleston Historical Society( sorry if I have the name wrong).

I do not know about Viareggio but many Italians in Shettleston were from Monte Cassino and district.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 17th Apr 2011, 10:07am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I think Mario lived in Bearsden and I used to see him from time to time on Maryhill Road although its been a wee while since I saw him.One of my friends from NK school,Irene Milligan who lived round in Northpark Street worked in the cafe in the late 60s.It was certainly the place to be with the "In-Crowd".The place had a unique aroma which came from all the confectionery and fresh coffee.Does anyone recall Miss Polloks sweetie shop which was on the left hand side of Maryhill Road just down from the gushet?She made tablet which I still dream about and the shop had a million sweetie jars full to the brim.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 17th Apr 2011, 12:05pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Dont know about Miss Pollocks but the cafe still looks exactly as it always has. Mary laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 17th Apr 2011, 12:12pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Mary Miss Pollocks shop was demolished mid 70s when re generation took place.Maryhill Road tenements from the gushet right down to Trossachs Street all went.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 17th Apr 2011, 12:21pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Hi troops there wis the Kings cafe on the left haun side just by the fairfield shipyard used tae go in fer mah dinner there when i started working my wee maw worked in the toon she was the heede cook in the strand restaurant in hope street i later found oot it was a notorious hang oot fer the limp wristed .

I Tony wis the owner an wis wan o the first tae introduce a jukebox place wid be crowded every night an i spent manys a great night there .

Cross the road wis Andy Mcneills bicycle shop where i finally got mysel a bike think it wis 5 bob a weeek tae pey it aff.

Bottom o elder street wis Mcconnells paper shop where i worked as a paper boy this peyed fer my Wizard and Rover comics which i swopped wie mah pal sonny braddley fer the Adventure ant the Hotspur .

Doon the road the raod heading tae Linthoose wis Elder park where I played fitbaw an got mah first kiss she wis a red heeded lassie tall as me in those days ah wis tall fer my age ,learned tae ride a bike ,learned tae fight Govan style ah hid tae had 3 sisters tae protect ach ahm gonna close noo eyes is getting a wee bit misty cos ahm thinking aboot mah wee maw an her ever full pot o soup an her haun rufflin my hair an saying neilly son behave yersel. mellow.gif wub.gif

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 17th Apr 2011, 12:31pm
Post #30

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
I remember miss Pollocks well. Used to go there to get polly pastils for my granma. I was a frequent visitor to the Davidson opticians for to get my glasses repaired or renewed. They had a big photo of the painting Charge of the light brigade that fascinated me.
The jaconnelis lived up the close next to the shop for years. His sister lived there too with her family who owned the melrose cafe across the street from gairbraid ave on maryhill rd. Lola the daughter opened a hairdressing salon across from the barracks again on maryhill rd.Jaconnelis has not changed a bit. I was in last year for ice cream and also went to jaconnelis new shop just before gairbraid avenue for fish and chips

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.