Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cafes, glasgow
littlebernie
post 10th Oct 2010, 07:10am
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 221
yes i do remember the cafes and some hours we used spend have ice cream or a fizzie drink
my favorite was franci cafe just a london road just before abercrombie and rossi just past claythorn st
on the london road in the 1960s great times we had then smile.gif
littlebernie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Oct 2010, 07:38am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
1959-1962 spent half my life in State Cafe, Shettleston.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
nelli
post 10th Oct 2010, 09:13am
Post #3

Special Visitor
Member No.: 4,932
Used to go to the Top Hat in Dalmarnock Road across from Allan Street and the Kit Kat on Springfield Road. The Top Hat had Albatross on their Juke Box and I played it all the time.

--------------------
If it's no broke, don't fix it.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 27th Oct 2010, 06:01pm
Post #4

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
our nearest was the Imperial Cafe on London road or the Empire cafe.. near Dunn st. but for brilliant ice cream it had to be Peter Rossis along London road.. I can still remember the red leather seats that folded down like picture hall seats..

+Quote Post
alybainfan
post 6th Dec 2010, 01:06pm
Post #5

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,290
I remember the Top Hat on Grt Western Road at Anniesland with great affection. During the early 60's if I went along to help my mum with the shopping at Fine-Fare, she'd often reward me with a milkshake at the TH, it was a great treat.

I've never lost my love of cafe's from that day

+Quote Post
edwardo
post 6th Dec 2010, 01:27pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 9,003
My Ma used to take us to a tearoom in Cambridge street called Cakeland and that was the highlight of the week for us the cakes would be diplayed on one of those old type cake stands but we where not allowed to touch them till we got the okay from my Ma but before we did so we would tell my Ma which one we wanted and we had to take our turn of picking our cake one by one.
I remember louies cafe in Garscube road near Caithness street where you got a bowl of hot peas

+Quote Post
Petrella
post 28th Sep 2012, 03:16pm
Post #7

Settling In
Member No.: 12,808
QUOTE (dizzybint @ 27th Oct 2010, 07:16pm) *
our nearest was the Imperial Cafe on London road or the Empire cafe.. near Dunn st. but for brilliant ice cream it had to be Peter Rossis along London road.. I can still remember the red leather seats that folded down like picture hall seats..

Your right enough Rossi's was the best cafe for ice cream I used to get the number9 tram from Kirkpatrick St. To Kent street carrying a billy can which they would fill up with ice cream it would then be a mad dash to get home before the ice cream melted.There was another great wee cafe between Queen Mary street and Montgomerie street where you could sit in and enjoy plates of hot peas ,lovely on a cold winters night but I cant remember the name of it

+Quote Post
serabash
post 29th Sep 2012, 09:52am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
mt cafe's were the bluebird and guidi's on Tollcross road. when I was about 8 I would go to the bluebird on my own order a wee bottle of barr's american cream soda with straw and put it's a hard day's night on the duke box and enjoy feeling like a big lassie until my soda was finished. laugh.gif guidi's my pals and me would get cokes and play the duke box and watch the talent go by. In the winter we would swap the cokes for hot orange or bovril and cream crackers. When I was younger I would meet my granda at hauf nine ootside the Strathspey pub and he took me to the bluebird for a 99 and 10 lucky bags every Friday night.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 29th Sep 2012, 10:06am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Serabash, you brought a tear tae ma eye. I also used tae watch the talent go by. It never stoapt-that wis the trouble ! laugh.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
serabash
post 29th Sep 2012, 10:09am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
a know whit a deprived childhood a had laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.