Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mario's Fish Bar
**Mario BROGAN**
post 2nd Feb 2010, 06:34pm
Post #1

HALLO CHINAS!!,
my name is Mario BROGAN and I was born in Glasgows Maternity Hospital in 1958.
My family, as a child, lived at nr. 222 Pendeen Road (presently demolished) in Barlanark and I attended St. Judes Primary School, 29 Garvel Crescent, from 1963 til 1969. My mothers origins (Italian) brought the whole family to emigrate to Italy in December 1969. I am now Chief Inspector in the Italian Police Force and live just south of Rome in the Castle Town Area (castelli romani) in a little town called Lanuvio, which is quite famous for its white wine produce. I woud love to correspond with anyone who remembers (early sixties) a little Fish and Chip shop called MARIO'S FISH BAR which used to be owned by my parents in Belfield Street, just a few doors up from where the parents of the well kown scottish singer LULU used to live. When I was too young for school, my mother used to take me up to the Garrowhill Station in order to catch one of the blue trains to Belgrove, from where we would reach the Chip Shop on foot. My mother at a later date also worked in other italian restaurants, quite famous in the sixties: the Sorrento, the Vesuvio. Presently, my cousin Gigi CORVI owns and runs the VALDORO (Fish and Chips) somwhere in the city centre.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest Eddie McGuir*
post 18th Mar 2011, 03:07pm
Post #2

Dear Mario, Just this morning on BBC Radio 4 there was a 30 minute programme about the Vald'oro fish and chip restaurant in London Road at Glasgow Cross. There was an interview with Luigi Corvi and the sound of his fine voice singing. You can listen again to this for 7 days from now on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zf5sp The programme was called Lives in a Landscape programme 1 "Passion at Glasgow Cross" produced by David Stenhouse. So if you miss it you could write to BBC Radio 4 for a copy. It talked of the origin of the shop and the old days,

Best wishes, Eddie McGuire
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.