Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Former Glasgow Restaurants, restaurants from the 60/70's
big al
post 3rd Jun 2004, 03:30pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
Trying to find some details of a few Glasgow restaurants that were very popular in the 60's and 70's - perhaps later than that - I need the proper names and any other detail or memories that it brings to people please.

The Rapallo (spanish) restaurant

The restaurant that used to be above the old Odeon cinema

The Trocadero - part of Wyper's

The Mount Everest - at the top of Renfield Street

The Chop house or Steakhouse that was in or just off Bothwell Street - used to go downstairs to it

There used to be a restaurant downstairs near where The vale was in Dundas street

The Lanterna

The italian restaurant that was just at the beginning of Parliamentary Road - Buchanan Street end

Another bar/cum restaurant that sat at the corner of Sauchiehall Street and West Nile street

and finally the restaurant that was in the old church on Sauchiehall street across from where Dinos was?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Alan

--------------------
That'll be the day........
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 3rd Jun 2004, 03:41pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Hi Big Al,

The italian restaurant that was just at the beginning of Parliamentary Road - Buchanan Street end

I remember this restaurant very well and its name can still start squabbles in my household.

It was called "Canasta" but on the fascia were the words "Canasta" and "Ristorante Italiano". For some reason the former were more prominent and the restaurant was often referred to simply as the "Ristorante Italiano".

If it helps the restaurant frontage was of green/blue mosaic tiles.

It has also come to me that the one on the corner of West Nile Street and Sauchiehall Street (opposite the Empire Bar) was called the Trianon.

Let me think about the others you mention. I am sure some of the names are familiar.

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
Melody
post 3rd Jun 2004, 04:41pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Oh Luceo, so many memories on the mention of those names which I had long forgotten, 'Ristorante Italiano' and the Trianon rang bells with me, the one Al mentions in Dundas Street, was it 'The Mocha Bar' ?

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 3rd Jun 2004, 05:03pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
I remember there was a really good restaurant near Waterloo St. bus station. I don't think it could be called upscale, but a great place for a good nosh. We used to go there in the 50s. Sorry but I can't remember what it was called. I also remember going to the Ristorante Italiano mentioned above.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 3rd Jun 2004, 05:24pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Hi George I well remember folks talking about a place there in Waterloo Street , as you say the kind of place where folks would go for a good meal, the name escapes me unfortunately maybe somebody else will remember.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 3rd Jun 2004, 06:56pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Could the place downstairs in Dundas Street possibly have been part of Jackson's Doghouse?

I recall that Jackson also owned a place in Carmunnock which was popular with Sunday drinkers.

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Melody
post 3rd Jun 2004, 07:23pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Now Luceo it could well have been Jackson's Doghouse, only that's up the street a bit from 'The Vale' that Mocha Bar place I was talking about was more a coffee bar right enough it was there in the sixties, however I'm sure it did Italian food too.
Makes me realise that I've forgotten about so much over the years. Nice to recall though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 3rd Jun 2004, 10:34pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
This thread is indeed a memory jerker. I had completely forgotten
the Mocha Bar until your mention of it. It is my recollection that it only did the standard Italian cafe fare such as rolls and pies but it is such a long time ago that my memory has probably let me down.

I keep recalling the names and location of restaurants not on Big Al's list but to list them here would only confuse the issue.

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------

+Quote Post
big al
post 4th Jun 2004, 07:13am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Spot on Luceo and others - Ristorante Italiano - lovely place and The Trianon - I used to go in there late at night for late Pint and a dish which had a breast of chicken as its base.

I remember we had a habit at the time of leaving pubs or restaurants with souvenirs - such as salt and pepper shakers and so on. One Friday night we came out of the Italiano very late on - Big Rab had something under his coat - when we got on the night bus he produced the full monty - salt, pepper, oil and vinegar, all nestling in a bread basket complete with a little vase with an artificial flower in it and a menu.....we didn't go back there for a while....

The place in Dundas Street I am thinking of was called the Strathendrick Bar - it didn't have a restaurant downstairs - the place I'm trying to remember I think was in Buchanan Street - just through the lane from Queen Street station - but like Melody says the memory is stirring but not quite complete yet.

The Mocha Bar was a favourite spot of mine for a variety of
reasons - one involved a woman (of course)

George is right - it was Waterloo Street and not Bothwell street for the steakhouse I am talking about - it had a ground level restaurant and the downstairs chophouse - the chophouse downstairs had a superb foreign maitre'd and was just superbly decorated in a gold and red colouring - I spent a lot of cash in there eating fabulous steaks and drinking really good brandy for a long time....

Luceo - if there any more names please throw them in - they won't really go OT in this one....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 4th Jun 2004, 08:47am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
I guess in the ten years from the early Sixties to the early Seventies Glasgow was shaking off its “pie supper” food culture and ordinary people were starting to become adventurous and eat out. The Cypriot restaurateur Reo Stakis rightly gets much of the credit for this, introducing good quality food and good service in pleasant surroundings at a modest price. There were many other establishments of the time which also made their contribution and some of these establishments had been part of a wealthier Glasgow scene for a long time.

At the expensive end of the market there was Ferrari’s situated at the beginning of Sauchiehall Street. This was really quite expensive but in my view the best place to eat in Glasgow at the time (’63-’64). Also expensive was Malmaison which was in the old Central Hotel Building at the Hope Street side. I think this was something of a poseurs’ haunt and although the food was very good it did not match Ferrari’s or the food of its near neighbour the One-O-One situated across the road and also in Hope Street. Rogano was, and remains, one of the jewels in the Glasgow restaurant scene as much for its décor as for its excellent food. Their price bracket made these places affordable only for celebrations and special nights out, of course.

Much more affordable and better value were Danny Brown’s in St Vincent Street, Guy’s (I need help on the location of Guy’s), Epicure’s in West Nile Street, the restaurant in the Royal Hotel in West Nile Street and of course the chop house in Waterloo Street. There was a very good Indian restaurant, Jamal’s, on a top floor in Sauchiehall Street which I always found very intimidating. The doorman there was a very tall Sikh who wore ceremonial dress and carried a huge sabre; for Indian food I much preferred Gibson Street – come to think of it, I still do!

There were loads of sit-in fish and chip places where a fish supper with tea, bread and butter was a very filling low cost meal but the very bottom of the market, the absolute butt-end of catering creation, had to be an establishment on Duke Street adjacent to the Duke Street gate of Parkhead Forge. Officially named the “Forge Café” it was unofficially known as the “Piggery” and you really don’t want to know about the standards of hygiene or the quality of the food there… What would Gordon Ramsay have made of the Piggery, I wonder...?

One of the things I love about Glasgow is its wide range and variety of restaurants (we even opened a Kurdish restaurant a few weeks ago) and the way Glaswegians are not afraid to try something new. I think we are also getting pretty good at getting the best value for our money in terms of food quality and good service.

We have come a long way from the days when chicken in a basket and a late licence on a Friday were the height of sophistication.

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 4th Jun 2004, 09:20am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I'm thoroughly enjoying reading this thread, more than anything for the warm memories its bringing back.

I agree with Luceo that the jewel, for me at least, is The Regano.
In 1969 this was a special treat for me on my 21st Birthday - a day I will not forget for many reasons.

I've been to the Regano many times since of course. Reading this thread reminds me of the many times I met friends and relatives in Glasgow and even my Auntie, we'd end up at some point in the places mentioned here - most of which I'd forgotten about.

The descriptions and names above have stirred my heart and my memory and all I can say is thanks Big Al for even begging the questions - wish I could add to this list but you are all doing a good job.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
big al
post 4th Jun 2004, 11:14am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
love these memories - glad I kicked this off - I remember Ferrari's - that was the old church I was referring to - the Malmaison i had visited a few times and the One O One - had a few good times in there - The Rogano - still a favourite whenever I can get to it - Danny Browns was OK - Guys I remember but not the location - like you Luceo I am lost with that one - Epicure's - used the shop downstairs more than the restaurant but it was enjoyable too - I sometimes went into the old Design Centre and ate their swedish menu on occasion - I well remember the restuarant in the Royal Hotel - it was a favourite spot of mine for some time around about 70 - 73.

There were a great many indian and chinese restaurants that gave me enormous pleasure over the years - some in Gibson Street, some in Byres Road, and my favourite which was the Mount Everest - not the classiest of joints but oh my! oh my! oh my! I'm salivating at the thought of some of their stuff.

The old Savoy fish and chip restaurant on Hope Street was the bee's knees - and many others.

In terms of fast food, the pies and peas in the Bay Horse at the corner of West Nile street was supreme - mavellous pies ....

Glad you kept the old Piggery at beardmore's till last - I worked up the Road at Parkhead Engine sheds in 1961 and used to go there at lunchtimes for a plate of stewed sausage and mash - it was good - don't know too much about other dishes - I think you are right in your view of it - although I think I have eaten in a worse place than that - the name will come to me I'm sure.......

Keep them coming please.

I forgot to say that I remember Jackson's Doghouse well - what a strange pub that was - the shape and the different bars - you could arrange to meet someone there and never manage to meet them if you get my drift.

Luceo - you are right about the diversity in Glasgow - it was like that for years and years before many other cities had the range and spread of restaurants that Glasgow had -you forget that with time and distance - I can always remember my first curry in Glasgow - in Gibson street - unforgettable except for the fact I can't remember which one we went to....

regards.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Jun 2004, 06:52am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
I'm really enjoying this topic too, Al, I'm smiling away here at the thought of the pies and peas in the Bay Horse they are famous right enough! Glasgow definately loves it's cafe culture, we were in the Rogano recently, lovely as always. Malmaison is my favourite at the minute I think, but those are for posh occasions.
Thanks Luceo for stirring all those memories of places and people and meals and fun and youth, also thanks to Al, what a brilliant topic. smile.gif Keep them coming.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 7th Jun 2004, 07:46am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
The Bay Horse has been famed for its Pie 'n' Peas for as long as I remember and it also has a claim to fame in that it was one of the last City Centre pubs to allow women access. I think at one point the pub was even picketed by a women's group because of its refusal to allow women in.

The Bay Horse remains one of the least expensive pubs in the City Centre and I still occasionally drop in there.

Long before the days of microwave ovens pies used to be kept warm and served from a clear plastic display case which sat atop the bar. These display cases were not always effective in keeping the pies at the required temperature. I offer the following with the caveat to Big Al that it is possibly apocryphal.

A young man approached the bar in the Bay Horse and asked,

"Pint a heavy 'n' a pie 'n' peas, please"

The barman poured the pint and pushed it across the bar saying:

"Pies ur cauld but ra peas ur hoat an' ra peas'll heat ra pie. Awright?"

The young man accepted the lukewarm pie without demur.

Luceo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marion Dougan
post 7th Jun 2004, 01:48pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 206
George, wis it the Garrick Rest. opposite the Bus station, am thinking it wis, mind you ma heeds still nippin fae aw the pop a drunk it Mags meet smile.gif

--------------------
Lang may yer Lum reek!!!

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.