Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ceylon Tea Centre, Tearoom/Restaurant
Drew
post 30th Jan 2011, 11:06pm
Post #16

Resident
Member No.: 6,118
I really liked the Ceylon Tea Centre and Kenco and often went there but prior to them I used to go to 'Easy Eats'on Buchanan Street opposite the underground station. it was an American style bar where you could get an expresso and a burger (Vienna steak) Fond memories.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
serabash
post 5th Feb 2011, 10:33am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
I used to go to the Ceylon Tea Centre every Friday in the early seventies when I worked as a trainee hairdresser in Telfers in Miller st.I loved the salads but sadly my wages at time didn't stretch to the fabulous cakes and pastries. huh.gif I would love to be able to go back today and treat myself to all the goodies I missed out on then. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Drew
post 5th Feb 2011, 10:36am
Post #18

Resident
Member No.: 6,118
QUOTE (serabash @ 5th Feb 2011, 10:11am) *
I used to go to the Ceylon Tea Centre every Friday in the early seventies when I worked as a trainee hairdresser in Telfers in Miller st.I loved the salads but sadly my wages at time didn't stretch to the fabulous cakes and pastries. huh.gif I would love to be able to go back today and treat myself to all the goodies I missed out on then. rolleyes.gif

Funnily enough, I was for a short time a trainee hairdresser at Copeland and Lye! I agree the wages were tiny but i can recall some very good tips

+Quote Post
serabash
post 5th Feb 2011, 02:50pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
QUOTE (Drew @ 5th Feb 2011, 10:14am) *
Funnily enough, I was for a short time a trainee hairdresser at Copeland and Lye! I agree the wages were tiny but i can recall some very good tips

Your right my tips were the only thing that kept me in make up and tights. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*Janet O'Brien*
post 24th Apr 2011, 02:41am
Post #20

My now husband and I used to eat at the Ceylon Tea Centre regularly. He loved the salad dressing, and used to almost empty the jug onto his salad, much to the consternation of the assistant serving.
My friend and I used to eat downstairs at lunchtime, and I remember one time asking for a coffee, and wondering why I was getting strange looks, lol!
They did a great home-made soup upstairs too.
Ah, memories....

+Quote Post
*Andrew McIntyre*
post 17th Mar 2015, 10:26am
Post #21

Well do I remember the Ceylon Tea Centre in Buchanan Street, Glasgow. Most Saturdays myself and two friends frequented this establishment. The salad bars were a delight as was the selection of teas on offer and if I remember it was reasonably priced as well. The three of us could get a pot of tea for three. Mind you in the late sixties early seventies we garnered some looks as we were teenagers with the long hair etal going into a somewhat genteel restaurant for tea. Brilliant place sadly missed.

+Quote Post
Myra
post 15th Apr 2015, 12:05pm
Post #22

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,653
I remember meeting my aunt for lunch there once a week during our lunch hour a lovely place Myra

I remember meeting my aunt for lunch there once a week during our lunch hour a lovely place Myra

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 29th May 2015, 10:16pm
Post #23

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
QUOTE (rosemary.halley@nt @ 13th Apr 2010, 11:07am) *
I remember going to the Ceylon Tea Centre with my sister every Friday luchtime to alleviate the boredom of working in a lawyer's office. Would love to know what dressing they used on the salads, it was very creamy but not mayonnaise. Anyone have any idea.

The white CT Sauce was a homemade variety.
I tried to concoct a reasonable facsimile with, I think, some success. biggrin.gif
Hope this helps, as far as I can recall, it went something like this;

Ceylon Tea Centre Salad Dressing

Incredients
1 Small Carton of heavy cream (33% max)
1 (8 ounce) Block of Philidelphia Creamcheese
2% milk to dilute to a shade off quite runny consistency

Option:
Pinch of salt to taste.

Directions

1. Mix cream and creamcheese together to a smooth (lumpless) consistency.
2. Combine with other ingredients and blend well,
3. Chill before serving.

Enjoy!

BTW,

My favourite tea in the afternoon was Eliya Nuwarra.

When most popular, the queue would extend past the till each lunchtime, down the hall and stairway turning left into the street and north up around the corner. Busy place at the time.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 29th May 2015, 10:36pm
Post #24

Super Resident
QUOTE (jmhayes @ 30th Apr 2010, 09:40am) *
Our whole family were very fond of the Ceylon Tea Centre in Buchanan Street, Glasgow. We did not even mind the half an hour wait on the stairs to get into the restaurant. The choice of delicacies was absolutely fantastic. I remember especially enjoying sardines, rice mixtures and other salad combinations, etc. Accompanied by the compulsory brown bread and lashings of Ceylon tea. I've often wondered where one could get the recipes for such fantastic and simple foods. Anyone out there know of such a recipe book?

A little imagination and much recourse to longterm memory brings up these items;

Shrimp & Grated Carrot Salad
Shrimp & White Rice
Plain Potato Salad
Shrimp in Potato salad
Jazzed-up Potato Salad (hazel nuts, chives, chopped spring onions & pineapple included)
Pineapple & Grated Carrot Salad
Sweetcorn Kernels in White Rice
Sweetcorn Kernels and Pineapple Salad
Grated Carrot and Mandarin-Slice Salad
Cold sliced ham squares
Black Forest Ham
Sliced Mushroom and white rice
Curried brown rice (basmati - I think)

The usual basics inclused as sliced tomatoes, garden peas et cetera.
Dollops of fruits included Mandarins, pineapple, apricots et cetera.

How's that to begin with?

Sorry it took so long JMH.
All things come to he/she who waits. thumbup.gif

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 29th May 2015, 10:51pm
Post #25

Super Resident
Add to the items already mentioned in the previous post....

Herring Rollups.
Curried Shrimp Salad
Plain Egg Salad
Curried Egg Salad
Pickled Eggs.
Curried Mushroom and Chicken Salad
Chicken Wings.

I think cold sliced smoked salmon was on the menu too.

Don't get me started on the pastries!

There might be enough in theses posts to do up a small recipe book of your own.

The thing about the white sauce is that it could dress any of the above dishes regardless.

--------------------

+Quote Post
**George**
post 1st Dec 2015, 11:15am
Post #26

QUOTE (Guest Little Eva * @ 11th May 2008, 01:36pm) *
I wonder if anyone remembers the Ceylon Tea Centre, an upstairs off-the- street entrance in Buchanan Street? This innovative restaurant-cum-tearoom was a revelation after the tearooms of Trerons, Copland and Lye and the famous Wendy's. Its attraction lay in the new-style salad bar and choice of proper leaf teas, followed by the most magnificent, decadent cream cakes ever!
This establishment was queued up the stairs every lunchtime and also stayed open for tea until 6.30pm. I have no memory of when it closed, but along with the Kenco Coffee House, it filled the gap between Tearooms and Stakis Steakhouses in the 1960's.
Eva.

Hi Eva
I remember the ceylon tea centre as my mum used to work there circa 1969 and i used to go in there to meet her and would sometimes pour tea to the customers and i was only 11!! Then she got snatched away to become manageress at Reids bakers/takeaway at the corner of west nile st/Gordon st before becoming the manageress at the new shop they opened in royal exchange square called "Mrs Macrae's" which was a restaurant/takeaway sadly now a "subway" takeout Ahhh memories lol

+Quote Post
**Marilyn**
post 5th Feb 2016, 12:02am
Post #27

Hello! I am a 64 yr old Canadian who stayed in Glasgow for a month with my great aunt when I was 15 and discovered the Ceylon Tea Centre. It was amazing! I have longed to have the very same kind of experience again since then! My love of cold rice salads began there! Isn't it wonderful to think that such powerful good memories can be rekindled! Whoever started this place deserves the thanks of many folk!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.