Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possilpark, Photos
Avril
post 14th Aug 2008, 07:37pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Yes Mamie, my mother talked about all these things too. It's a very nostalgic wee poem. I am going to call my old auntie in Glasgow tonight (my mum's elder sister), she's 92. I'll ask her what No. in Barloch Street they lived at.

Incidentally, The book I wrote is a fiction story about a family living in Possilpark during the 1940-50s. Most people have been able to get it in their local libraries. The details are on the link below

www.glesga.ukpals.com/profiles/avrilsaunders.htm

By popular request I have written a sequel and it will be out soon biggrin.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes....TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marion Niven Dou...
post 14th Aug 2008, 09:02pm
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
I read the first book Mamie, it was great. I felt it was my life story, a think a lot of people did. I can't wait for the sequel to come out. Definetly a good read

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Aug 2008, 09:21pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Mamie, I'm just off the phone from my old auntie, they were born and brought up at 45 Barloch Street, my auntie said they were toffs because it was a red sandstone building and they had an inside toilet biggrin.gif Mind you there was my granny, grandpa and 6 weans in a room and kitchen wub.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes....TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
mamie
post 14th Aug 2008, 10:16pm
Post #19

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,364
I am so pleased at long last I have found a page about Possilpark...... Avril your auntie is right,if she lived at the top of Barloch Street , yes! as kids we did consider it was toffs who lived in the wally closes. I don't think I knew anybody from the red buildings, in fact when we would midgy rake, it was taken for granted you could find luckies of more value, because they were toffs that lived up there.... wub.gif That was a great pastime for kids when they were on there summer holidays, it was ok as long as there parents did not find out. For anybody that wants the lay out of Bar/steet there was a bottem end, a middle and where your gran lived it was called high Bar/street. I must get your book!!!!!I tried the link but it did not work, I will order it in the libaray......................cheers for now

+Quote Post
sylviajane
post 14th Aug 2008, 10:30pm
Post #20

Visitor
Member No.: 5,875
I've just ordered a copy of your book Avril.

Thanks so much. I think I will enjoy it very much!

Sylvia smile.gif

+Quote Post
Avril
post 14th Aug 2008, 11:20pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Mamie,

My Gran's sister lived down the bottom end of Barloch Street but this was in the 1930's, her name was Fulton, I think she had 3 boys.

My mum and dad were married in Rockvilla Church and my brother and myself were both christened there. My brother went to Saracen Primary School. I remember going to a clinic when I was wee for my jags and Cod liver Oil & Orange Juice, I think it was in Killearn Street.

If the library doesn't have my book, they will usually order it in for you (at least that's what people have been telling me) biggrin.gif

Sylviajane, thanks for ordering a copy of my book, it will be winging it's way to you soon biggrin.gif

I hope you both enjoy the read ladies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mamie
post 15th Aug 2008, 06:59am
Post #22

City Key Holder
Hi, out of townner, I have been racking my brain trying to remember anyone with the name Smythe, I vagualy remember that name , but can't think of anything definate. If they lived at 93, that was across from where we lived 94. I left Barloch Street in 1959, I was 19 then, so it is a long time ago. If you knew any other names maybe that would help to jog my memory.........

+Quote Post
mamie
post 16th Aug 2008, 03:23pm
Post #23

City Key Holder
Avril ,I have just this minute, checked out your web page!!!!!!! You have many great reviews and comments about your first book, I can imagine how proud you must feel. The comments have made me all the more eager to read about all the different characters you have written about to see if I recognise any of them.

+Quote Post
outoftowner
post 18th Aug 2008, 07:38am
Post #24

Visitor
Member No.: 5,707
Hi Mamie,

Thank you for your post.

My father, William Smyth, was a piping tutor and taught the Rockvilla Church Boys Brigade the bagpipes. You may well remember the sound of the pipe band on church parades and at band practice. This was in the fifties. He went on to teach the Scouts in Springburn, Giffnock (JLB), Bishopbriggs and Gairbraid Church on Maryhill Road (he also played for Highland dancing) in the 60's and early 70's.

He played as a young man when he lived in Barloch Street so you may remember the sound of him practising!!

Cheers,

PS I would love to hear from anyone who remembers my father from those days.

+Quote Post
mamie
post 18th Aug 2008, 11:57am
Post #25

City Key Holder
I am very sorry outoftowner,! I can't think of anybody who reminds me of your father. I remember a family by the name of Smith they lived probably either no.91 or 93, but there was no one I remeber who who played the pipes, I think I would have rememberd, but age has creept up on , my memory is not as good as it used to be. Keep up your search, I am sure because of all he was involved in, someone will will one day click on to this sight and be able to give you the information you are looking for. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
outoftowner
post 18th Aug 2008, 04:30pm
Post #26

Visitor
Thank you Mamie

+Quote Post
Avril
post 18th Aug 2008, 09:01pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (outoftowner @ 18th Aug 2008, 08:38am) *
Hi Mamie,

Thank you for your post.

My father, William Smyth, was a piping tutor and taught the Rockvilla Church Boys Brigade the bagpipes. You may well remember the sound of the pipe band on church parades and at band practice. This was in the fifties. He went on to teach the Scouts in Springburn, Giffnock (JLB), Bishopbriggs and Gairbraid Church on Maryhill Road (he also played for Highland dancing) in the 60's and early 70's.
He played as a young man when he lived in Barloch Street so you may remember the sound of him practising!!

Cheers,

PS I would love to hear from anyone who remembers my father from those days.

Hi outoftowner,

My brother was in the Boys Brigade in Possil and played the bagpipes, this would be in the late 50's/early 60's. The next time I speak to him I will ask him if your dad was his tutor smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
outoftowner
post 19th Aug 2008, 12:10pm
Post #28

Visitor
Hi Avril,

That would be very kind.

Cheers.

+Quote Post
angel
post 19th Aug 2008, 10:29pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Hello outoftowner, I knew a Willie Smythe you was a piper, However
when I knew him he lived in Cadder and passed away, I believe in the seventies, would this be the Willie Smythe ,you mention . smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
angel
post 19th Aug 2008, 10:31pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (angel @ 19th Aug 2008, 10:17pm) *
Hello outoftowner, I knew a Willie Smythe you was a piper, However
when I knew him he lived in Cadder and passed away, I believe in the seventies, would this be the Willie Smythe ,you mention . smile.gif
.... oooooops ....I meant who was a piper

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Oct 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.